Leica X1 Review

I had a X1 in my hands. It's not the fastest camera ever made, but it never mean to be. Anyway, basing on image quality, if I get better results from X1 than D300+nikkor 24/2.8, and I can put the camera in pocket in my pants - I'm in!

Not a glowing review at all. I guess the "recommended" rating is just a nod to it being a Leica. Great image quality in a camera really usable only for landscapes would seem not to recommend it to the use many hoped to put it to.

Over priced P&S with a Red Leica dot. Always just two steps behind other manufacturers. My money is on the GF-1. Much more bang for the buck and a much better thought out product. And look , interchangeable lenses. What a novel idea. As for the X1, the Leica L this time stands for loser.

Actually, it's probably about par for the course for ALL Leica compacts; it's probably got more to offer over the G11 and E-P1 than its predecessors like the CM had over their opposition.

Over priced P&S with a Red Leica dot. Always just two steps behind other manufacturers. My money is on the GF-1. Much more bang for the buck and a much better thought out product. And look , interchangeable lenses. What a novel idea. As for the X1, the Leica L this time stands for loser.

It's not a point and shoot.

Oh, it's a Point and Shoot alright. at twice the price. Just a bigger body, slow lens and Red dot. Now the Panasonic GF-1 is more a well thought out systems camera. If Leica would have offered something like this, they would have a real winner.

QUOTE=jsrockit;1214028]It's not a point and shoot.[/QUOTE]

There's no doubt that the X1 has to be seen as a serious photographic tool - despite the cute good looks, this really isn't an upmarket fully automatic point-and-shoot, or even some kind of D-Lux 4 upgrade. It's therefore best-suited to experienced users who need a near-silent, discreet camera that can deliver SLR-quality images even in relatively low light - or simply the highest possible image quality in a small light package.

Therefore the X1 is really a camera for serious photographers, professional or advanced amateur, who fully understand the compromises they'll be making in terms of operational speed (not to mention being limited to a fixed semi-wideangle lens), and can accept them in exchange for that excellent image quality and silent operation.

--> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/LeicaX1/page27.asp

I like it.

martin

The review sound a bit disappointing. Very good High Iso but not perfectly usable in situations where you need High Iso. Too bad.

Something like this? Digital camera, removable lenses, not as big as an SLR? You mean an M8/M9? :)

Yea, exactly. As long as you're not so insecure as to need that Red dot, you get so much more for your money. Including, true zooms from 14mm to 400mm plus some great looking primes with more in the pipe line. And just think, this is the GF-1. Leica has already offered the M8, M8-2 and now M9, and at what cost? My money is on the GF-1. If it's this well thought out in the first incrarnation, it can only get better. I love my MP but Leica is always two steps behind eveyone else with their digital cameras.,and always twice if not more expensive.Trying to sell the X1 reminds me of trying to sell the health care bill. Nothing new, just repackaged.

Last edited:
Trying to sell the X1 reminds me of trying to sell the health care bill. Nothing new, just repackaged.
You're exactly right, Leica is trying to kill Grandma'. Explains a lot, you know.

martin

You're exactly right, Leica is trying to kill Grandma'. Explains a lot, you know.

martin

What? My comparison with the health care bill is: the X1 is just a repackaged point and shoot. O.K. it has manual controls. No one said anything about trying to kill anyones grandmother. Go back to your DS games.

Last edited:
I always love how emotional people get over the offerings from camera companies... So, Leica offers a product that's a generation or two behind the products of other companies and charges twice as much for it... so what? Just stop whining and don't buy it.

I thought the Leica X1 would be worth the money if it really excelled at everything, especially in regards to focus speed and other aspects of operational performance. It's disappointing to see it is lacking in several key areas.

Back