Leica X1 Review

I wouldn't call Steve unbiased either. He's a great guy and a good photographer, but he does seem a bit over enthusiastic when reviewing Leica products. I've noticed that in a lot of his Leica reviews some of the product faults tend to be reasoned with "it's ok though, because it's a Leica" or "x might not be sharp or fast as y, but it's good enough".

Which is understandable of course, I'd be happy too if Leica loaned me their stuff to review for free. :D

I do love reading his reviews though :)

Last edited:
I liked the three week test drive. I thought that it presented a balanced view of the camera. What is also nice is that everyone seems on the same page regarding the primary shortcomings of the camera. Assuming that Leica want to be in business, they will listen to what folks want. It sounds like a great compact for those that don't need to shoot in dynamic environments. Unfortunately for me, I can't get my kids to comply with that demand.

Huh? The man said that he isn't buying one and that the rumors about AF are true... how is that biased? Some of us appreciate good design even in packaging.

That fact the he isn't buying an X1 means what? Not many could buy everything they review especially from Leica and the AF issues are are now so widely known it hardly's repeating. The review had the tone of a fat lady getting her sugar fix in a candy store.

That fact the he isn't buying an X1 means what? Not many could buy everything they review especially from Leica and the AF issues are are now so widely known it hardly's repeating. The review had the tone of a fat lady getting her sugar fix in a candy store.

He also stated that he is a huge Leica fan and user... so what did you expect? Did you expect him to be sad to get a chance to try it out? What is wrong with being excited?

My point about him not buying it was that in the first week he decided to order one and did... but after 3 weeks, he decided against it.

While I understand the review basically added nothing new, it was hardly biased. Perhaps a bit overzealous, I can give you that. The fact that he showed a video of the AF was new though and was helpful.

The Steve Huff review might of seemed biased but did you see the image samples? they don't lie and they look fantastic!

I like Steve's articles, nice to read from a positive guy and it's not like he doesn't mention the downsides.. I can do the decision making myself anyways. It's good to read articles that aren't filled with brick walls and boring snapshots with crappy lighting.

Have to say I was more skeptical about the X1 until I saw Steve Huff's pictures. To my eye, there is something definitely and pleasingly Leica-like about that lens, particularly evident in the portrait shots (check out his original, non-PS'd pictures as well). It reminds me of the Minilux/CM, to which this camera is the digital successor.

I will never own one - too expensive, and too much other gear that I can get for the same price that will have a bigger impact on my photography. But I can see the appeal of that lens/sensor combo, particularly if money is no object (and for some people, it isn't).

Did you read Sean Reids review? I thought it was pretty damn good!

I just read most of it. Even though it costs $2K, it is still tempting to me. This is as close as we've come to a digital T3 yet. And given that the T3 was no speed demon, and, had the ISO limitations of film, I can't help but think the X1 really is what I've been looking for.

With all digital cameras, I find there is a belief that the camera could, and therefore should, be better. I think the Sean Reid review helps to explain why the X1 falls short in a couple areas and that it is not due to negligence or lack of effort on Leica's part.

Anyone else seriously thinking about parting with the cash?

Anyone else seriously thinking about parting with the cash?

Yes, I think I am going to. I love the small size, 35mm is my favorite lens length, and I think the IQ is great. It beats buying a high quality 28mm lens for my M8 (though maybe not in the long run) as well and gives me an extra body. It also fits the pace I work at.

I saw I guy walking around with one the other day. I don't know how big people's pockets are around here, but it will be difficult to fit in my own. I think my money could be better spent.

Back