Leica X1 Review

Leica need to stop building cameras that cater to a visual design parameter that was started in the twenties and start building cameras that just plain perform at a level that at least matches their opposition.

Just my opinion of course ... no doubt a lot of people think this weird retro styling is just fab! :rolleyes:

If you wait long enough, what was old style is now...retro style.

Sticking with a look at one's prime is nothing new. Many women still pluck their eyebrows pencil thin, or many men kept their Elvis sideburns.

Leica's head is in the past brought screaming into the present. Coping with the future will need a serious lobotomy.

Trading on one's name is far easier...

Dp2 has a f2.8 lens, as has the X1 or the GXR 50mm equiv. module, not really slow.

For a non-tele prime lens, it's as slow as it gets...

My dp2's shot to shot time is faster than what dpreview mentions for the X1 (raw and fast card).

Yes, that's why I passed on the X1, it would not be a major improvement on the DP2 in the responsiveness department.

DP2 has no noticable shutter lag, can't believe that the X1 has a really disapointing one (not to be confused with AF lock time). Your description rather fits the dp1. AF is sluggish with the DP2, but mf and zone focusing a joy to use.

I beg to differ. I have both the DP1 and the DP2. While I love the results, the camera's AF and AE sloth gets in the way and too often makes me miss the shot. Zone focusing is not a viable option in many cases. I use hyperfocal mode when shooting landscapes, but that doesn't help with people photography.

If you are happy with the DP2, I agree there is no reason to get either the X1 or GF1.

Okay... this is a near PERFECT camera... I ain't kiddin...

1. Optical viewfinder
2. Small size
3. Image Stabilization
4. Excellent high ISO performance

5. BOKEH!!!!

Finally, a small camera that produces B O K E H!!!

6. Built-in flash

See? This is all I want in a digital camera... What I get in a film camera. This one comes really close... But, uggh, that price tag. Are they kidding?

Sony, Fuji, Nikon - can you put something out that has what this camera has, for a $500-ish price? Fixed lens n all?

I saw some prints on 11 x 14 paper from raw files at my dealers. They were nice but nothing to write home about. I was excited about this camera and will still check it out but it ain't looking as good as I originally thought.
To be honest, my Pen 1 gets results at least equal to what I saw.....
time will tell....
shooter

Your Pen won't at 1600 and 3200 though.

Well, that's not a safe bet at all....I use the high ISO all the time and well, it ain't hard to take at all.

I'm not interested in comparing to my 5D etc :bang:. I just work with what I have and the Pen does the job even at high ISO.
I am mostly B&W and that helps but I have some color that is ok also...

besides, the X1 will have some major issues changing lenses....
shooter

Well, that's not a safe bet at all....I use the high ISO all the time and well, it ain't hard to take at all.

I'm not interested in comparing to my 5D etc :bang:. I just work with what I have and the Pen does the job even at high ISO.
I am mostly B&W and that helps but I have some color that is ok also...

besides, the X1 will have some major issues changing lenses....
shooter

I'm not saying the Pen isn't capable at high ISOs... I'm saying that the X1 appears to be better.

If you want to change lenses... you don't even look at the X1.

I would also like a digital Hexar AF. This could have been it--it'd need fast AF and a viewfinder! Let's hope they do well enough with this model that they're encouraged to keep improving the product line.

Old rumor, but this looks close to the Hexar.

gl1.jpg

Panasonic will release LX4 with 1/1.3 inch backside illuminated sensor and integrated Summicron f2.0 lens and Panasonic DMC-GL1 with a LUMIX G 20mm F1.7 (pancake / 55,000 yen) lens:

Hello Everyone, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.......
I was sittin fat and happy, ready to pull the trigger and buy an E-P2 until I read this:
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12492
and saw Steve Huff's photos. Then I looked at some of the results of the GXR with the A12 lensor over on the Ricoh forum. Now it sounds like the release date for the X1 has been pushed back. Maybe Leica is addressing some of the concerns folks have expressed...
I just may lose my Leica virginity to the X1..... ; )

Also, I've read a lot about the AF being pretty slow but presumably focus can be preset and the lens stopped down?

All cameras of this size are going to have some limitations but I sort of feel that the AF speed could be easily overcome with some practise and patience.

For digital, even the B+W looks alright to my eyes, and even 1600 looks pretty good. Then again, I'm not into overly clean looking files from digital cameras, which is one of the reasons why have stuck with silver halide film and never even considered a Canon or Nikon DSLR.

Looks to be a good piece of kit, and I think the AUX. brightline finder and manual dials almost set it apart from the 'competition'. I suppose time will tell...

Personally, however, I would have prefered a wider lens though 35mm seems a good compromise. A (little?) more time paid into adding a focusing tab and and even an aperture ring on the lens may well have paid dividends for Leica though.

Last edited:
I think all the links to Steve's review just brought down his site. It's giving a not reachable. :)

No surprises from this reviewer. The results were a given before he even opened the box. Now where's the real unbiased review? The one that isn't gushing over the packageing.

Important and Helpful...Thanks Steve

Important and Helpful...Thanks Steve

First, there are no unbiased reviews. DP Review?...ah c'mon. Varied photography magazines? No way. There will be some that will try to be more objective; that's true. But ultimately what we get is a lot of subjective evaluations. Where there are points of agreements across many users and reviewers we get close to authoritative info.

So thanks Steve for your acknowledged subjective review.

What is clear:
Some will love this camera and others will dismiss it.
The camera will produce some great photos.
The camera will have some clear limitations.
The price is too high for many, but that's always a matter of income plus priorities.
We won't know until a few months after its release what the agreed upon strengths and limitations are.

As for the packaging. It clearly added to the initial pleasure for Steve and will for others. For most, including Steve, it is just a small side benefit not the basis for judging the camera. For some it's meaningless. But let's cut him a little slack on that one.

As for me, the review was fun to read. I hope the camera will be fun to use.

Mark

No surprises from this reviewer. The results were a given before he even opened the box. Now where's the real unbiased review? The one that isn't gushing over the packageing.

Huh? The man said that he isn't buying one and that the rumors about AF are true... how is that biased? Some of us appreciate good design even in packaging.

Back