Leica's long term service to M8

twopointeight

Well-known
Local time
12:29 AM
Has anyone had a definitive conversation with Leica about their commitment to servicing the M8 and M8.2? I'd like to keep mine for long term use but only if parts and service are guaranteed? Yes, I've asked the question to Leica in N.J. but was given a brief and vague answer amounting to "I don't know"?

It's anyone's guess I suppose, they could discontinue the line just as abruptly as they had done with the R line

They officially say they do service all Leica Ms all the way back to M3, right? I sure hope they show some commitment for the Didital Ms as well. Maybe I am naive, but...

Hi,
I heard at a photo expo show last year at New York City, that they
fix the Digital M's in New Jersey, and they send the film M's to Germany
unless that changed.

Range

someone can correct me, but was original M8 service period 20 years?

mechanical M's are story of their own, factory servicing 50-60 year old M3 is quite something :) dont think R line support terminated over night, it continued several years after discontinuation of new models.

edit: googled a bit but could not find any concrete links anymore. 20 is probably too much for digital gadget, even for Leica. I think OP best should email them directly.

The fact is, even if someone at Leica were to tell you (which I doubt they will) that the M8 will be supported for X-number of years, I would take it with a grain of salt. Just ask anyone who bought a DMR. Certain parts are unavailable (the truth being it would be too expensive for Leica to contract for a small batch of parts) making the DMR virtually unrepairable. Whatever you read about laws stipulating 7 or 10 years post-discontinuation a manufacturer has to support a product, the DMR was officially discontinued not that long ago, and no one has written of Leica being sanctioned.

The good thing about the M8 is that it shares a number of parts with the M9, including the battery. But there are plenty of other parts, including the sensor, which it does not. How long you could expect Leica to service an M8 will likely depend on what's wrong with it and whether Leica has the part it needs. Whether or not you would find it economically sensible to get it repaired is a different issue. A shutter replacement costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $700. In fact, a simple CLA runs upwards of $300. Not that many years from now an M8 will likely be worth at most $1000.

I prefer to think of buying digital cameras in terms of film and developing cost. The last time I shot film, it cost me about $15 for a 36-exp roll and E6 processing. So if I bought an M8 now for $2000, once I'd shot the equivalent of 134 rolls of film, I would consider the camera free, and if it died and either couldn't be repaired or couldn't be repaired inexpensively, I would not be terribly upset to sell it for parts and move on.

The fact is, even if someone at Leica were to tell you (which I doubt they will) that the M8 will be supported for X-number of years, I would take it with a grain of salt. Just ask anyone who bought a DMR. Certain parts are unavailable (the truth being it would be too expensive for Leica to contract for a small batch of parts) making the DMR virtually unrepairable. Whatever you read about laws stipulating 7 or 10 years post-discontinuation a manufacturer has to support a product, the DMR was officially discontinued not that long ago, and no one has written of Leica being sanctioned.

The good thing about the M8 is that it shares a number of parts with the M9, including the battery. But there are plenty of other parts, including the sensor, which it does not. How long you could expect Leica to service an M8 will likely depend on what's wrong with it and whether Leica has the part it needs. Whether or not you would find it economically sensible to get it repaired is a different issue. A shutter replacement costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $700. In fact, a simple CLA runs upwards of $300. Not that many years from now an M8 will likely be worth at most $1000.

According to the person I spoke with at Leitz in N.J., there are plenty of parts for the M8, including sensors. But the upgrade program is finished from M8 to M8.2 is over. In fact, there are no more sapphire screen replacements for eight M8 or M8.2. Apparently, the M9P screen won't fit. So if you break your M8.2 sapphire screen, you'll get downgraded to an original M8 screen. No big deal.

I spoke to Leica NJ last week prior to buying my M8 last Friday....and the M8s are completely serviceable/repairable.

Nor did Leitz, NJ read their own letter to a member of the Leica User's Group RE: Replacement of LCD screen.
Executive Summary: We will send the M8 to Solms for an estimate of credit toward the purchase of a new M9.

EDIT: As expected, there is enough conflicting information to fill an internet trash can.

Wayne

Not to seem rude but the reality is (imho) that cameras are not long term investments, the only profit are the pictures you get with them. Enjoy to the max what you have, eventually, like everything, it will die on you and you will have to buy a new camera...that's life (and is not that bad).

GLF

They obviously didn't read this thread:-

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123032

which along with this one:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/206627-m8-lcd-display.html

would suggest Solms is not of that opinion.

the first step is to REMOVE all the banter in those threads which are not using facts. I spoke to Leica NJ, who stated that they are OUT OF LCD screens at the moment, however assured me the cameras are full serviceable.

What does that mean? if one NEEDS a new LCD screen----Leica does not have any replacements. On the other hand, if something else is causing the dead screen (connection, etc.) then it will be repairable.

there are a lot of people just making things up.....which is pretty weird.

It would be better, we had some Information from Leica directly instead of some forum blabla. There is no official confirmation, right?

Whilst I also probably wouldn't plough through 150+ posts you should look at the number of posts in those threads from users directly quoting letters and e-mails from Solms which offer a discount on an M9/P because the LCD issue has rendered the M8 un-repairable.
I am not in the habit of writing forum "blabla" please do not shoot the messenger because you don't like what he is saying.
I am an M8 owner BTW so have no axe to grind in spreading despondency.

If you read only one post try this one then come back and your apology will be graciously received.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica...2127-lifetime-service-not-12.html#post2162178

there are a lot of people just making things up.....which is pretty weird.

I would suggest that Solms should be your contact, I am not making this up and posting as an M8 owner this information gives me no pleasure I can assure you. That you unfortunately believed what you were told at NJ without checking, a basic journalist rule, is "pretty weird" in itself. I will be generous and not take offence as being a poster " "just making things up" and suggest that if you know to whom you discussed this with at NJ you renew that acquaintance with your increased level of information then get back to us.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica...2127-lifetime-service-not-12.html#post2162178

That the reasons behind this state of affairs has generated much hot air and speculation I will not disagree but the base facts now appear to be solid.

My M8 is currently being serviced in Solms for a catastrophic shutter failure. I had no LCD issues going into the repair process, as in none were indicated by the repair estimate document.

So barring any surprises, Leica is still servicing my out-of-warranty M8.

if one really is concerned, its still better to hear it from horses mouth rather than all the horse traders on market. wonder how many people these days start arguing at shop "but I read from Internet that... there was quote from JJ from Leica, and it was even emphasized by the forum moderator!"

personally this could be nice time (together with M10 rumors affecting prices) to snap used M8 back again. had one for year ago and was very pleased about it. no doubt prices settle again, once the dust have come down.

ps. I was "a bit" off with my estimate earlier in the thread :eek:

Back