Leica's long term service to M8

the first step is to REMOVE all the banter in those threads which are not using facts. I spoke to Leica NJ, who stated that they are OUT OF LCD screens at the moment, however assured me the cameras are full serviceable.

What does that mean? if one NEEDS a new LCD screen----Leica does not have any replacements. On the other hand, if something else is causing the dead screen (connection, etc.) then it will be repairable.

there are a lot of people just making things up.....which is pretty weird.

Wayne isn't making things up and your post proves him right. Look at the two highlighted sections, they are contradictory.

Dear IEDEI,

We've all been around long enough to know people are making things up and this forum in general strives to counter that made-up info, and not the people that (alledgedly) made it up. Courteously phrased remarks on a persons message are more than welcome, remarks aimed at a person directly really are unnecessary to get your point across.

Speculating on the value of an M8 that is unusable because of lack of spares is pointless. It's worth NOTHING because it's unusable.
Die hard fans of the mark will always find ways to excuse this lack of commitment to the buyer but eventually they will figure out that Leica seems to have turned into a company more interested in fast profit at consumer expense rather than the 'camera for life company' they like to tell us all it is!
There have been a lot of happy customers for M8 and M9 however for the unlucky ones who end up with redundant cameras, it's going to be a bitter pill to swallow.

Well, it sure looks like the discussion has caught the attention of those in the higher levels of management.

Rumors on the Internet are like rabbits at an Australian prairie: you can't get them under control soon enough, they'd be quite a nuisance for a long time to come. Although some rabbits have more Energizer batteries than others.

I think they need to put an official press release at this point (unless the legal department says "let the bunny go" or something like that)

Rumors on the Internet are like rabbits at an Australian prairie: you can't get them under control soon enough, they'd be quite a nuisance for a long time to come. Although some rabbits have more Energizer batteries than others.

I think they need to put an official press release at this point (unless the legal department says "let the bunny go" or something like that)

I totally agree ... and the sooner the better! This will get out of control very quickly.

Something I have not yet seen mentioned in the two simultaneous threads that are running about the repairability of the M8 is:

Now that Leica are offering a discount on the purchase of an M9 when you hand in your deceased M8, it will get them spare parts to refurbish and fix M8's with.

If they would actually refurbish parts to fix M8's with, that would be a very good move re. customer service, although it would probably cost them money to first refurbish parts that then can be utilized to repair other camera's.

I suppose this was already mentioned at the Leica User forum, but I don't read/post there. Anyone?

Something I have not yet seen mentioned in the two simultaneous threads that are running about the repairability of the M8 is:

Now that Leica are offering a discount on the purchase of an M9 when you hand in your deceased M8, it will get them spare parts to refurbish and fix M8's with.

I suppose this was already mentioned at the Leica User forum, but I don't read/post there. Anyone?

Ah, interesting, that implies having owners volunteer the donation of their M8 for spare parts? If that's true, I should be expecting an email from Solms in due time presenting me with the option of "upgrading" to a M9, as I did have a functional LCD going into the repair process.

Will update.

I recently bought an M8, so what Leica will honor in terms of repair will either steer me away from Leica or it will keep me a satisfied customer. Let's wait for some empirical evidence from someone with n M8 and need for screen repair.

Will we see threads with titles "Dump Leica" or "Use Sony" ?

Back