Let's see your Leica M

I wanted a change so I traded my steel grey M9 for a black one
IMG_61581-vi.jpg

IMG_61392-vi.jpg

How so Saul? I'm not sure I understand.

From the photo it looks like all edges are equally brassed which isn't likely to happen in actual usage, but would be likely if someone took some sandpaper to it and hit all the edges a bit. It's not uncommon to see ones that have had this done to them - they pop up on ebay and in the classifieds here quite a bit, some people like the older, worn in look and don't want to wait 20 years for it.

From the photo it looks like all edges are equally brassed which isn't likely to happen in actual usage, but would be likely if someone took some sandpaper to it and hit all the edges a bit. It's not uncommon to see ones that have had this done to them - they pop up on ebay and in the classifieds here quite a bit, some people like the older, worn in look and don't want to wait 20 years for it.

It's a result of Hipstamatic I fear. Here are two, more detailed images. This camera has not been sanded.

8417880734_d9eaf89b62_c.jpg

8417880646_9f0852b2e2_c.jpg

Yes I agree Jim. I emailed Leica and a few local service points to find out when this one was updated with motor winder capability in the hope of finding out who owned it in the past. Leica could only say it was done in the 70s. I read somewhere that they fired their archivist which makes it difficult to find out more details. The added motor capability probably means it was used professionally which would explain the brassing. The dealer I bought it from bought it from an estate but couldn't remember more info.

Whatever its history I love using it because it works like new with that amazing fine-mechanical feeling only the pre-M6 cameras do.

Hi Clint,
Yes I did put it up for sale a while ago because I hadn't used it much and I thought it was unnecessary to have money tied up in it. But then I started using it more for various reasons and I was reminded of my first Leica, an M3, and then I couldn't stop using it. It is now the camera I bring with me almost everywhere. All Ms are very nice tools but like all older Ms this one simply feels wonderful in the hand; personally I find it much more pleasant to use than my TTL. I think it is the combination of the solid build quality and heft of the body with the smooth mechanics that make the difference.

Cheers

I was going to commit on yours but then I went for a BP 50 lux.

If you want to trade your M4 for my mint MP let me know. I got 2 so I figure what the heck.

Thanks Clint. I'll definitely keep it in mind! For now it is in service as my non-metered M.

Some time ago there was a bit of discussion about 'relic-ing' Leicas and how that may become the next big & expensive thing. So what do you all think: wise investment, this? :D

(Click for larger image)

Derk

Back