Lightweight compact tripod .. any recommendations.

I have a Linhoff Giant (bought after being frustrated by a tripod that wasn't tall enough) and a Linhoff Baby, but the tripod that offers the best combination of height, low weight, and sturdiness is my Cullman 2502.

i have a manfrotto 190pro with a small manfrotto ball head...too heavy for my tired old bones to carry about...maybe this new one will make that different for me.

I bought an Acratech Ultimate in January after my Markins Q3T locked up in the cold and I lost patience with it. So far it's been fine even though it looks like a piece of surveying equipment! This is my first Acratech and I'm hoping that it lives up to its billing as an extreme environment head.

I have the Acratech Utimate on another tripod, a carbon Gitzo that I keep in another location. It is a little smaller than the GP and works great. The only reason I got the GP is that it can work as a gimbal as well. The beauty of these heads, aside from their size and weight, is that dirt and gunk can't really get inside (as least not in a way that it can't be easily removed). They are also beautifully engineered and built.

so keith, have you decided/bought one yet?

I've decided to go with the carbon fiber version of the one you got ... $220.00 is brilliant value IMO and it will really only be used for my smaller cameras as I have a Manfrotto for the bigger muthas! :D

I've noticed that my 67ii really tests the Manfrotto ... the jolt from the shutter on that thing is impressive.

i bought the carbon fiber version as well.
i once saw a photographer walk a cheap, lightweight tripod across the room by putting his pentax 6x7 on it and firing the shutter...funny as hell!

I have the Acratech Utimate on another tripod, a carbon Gitzo that I keep in another location. It is a little smaller than the GP and works great. The only reason I got the GP is that it can work as a gimbal as well. The beauty of these heads, aside from their size and weight, is that dirt and gunk can't really get inside (as least not in a way that it can't be easily removed). They are also beautifully engineered and built.
I agree about the build quality, it is excellent. I have mine on my travel tripod and I got it because of the open design, it won't lock up in the freezing cold and you can wash sand and other gunk out of it under a faucet.

arrived...comes in a nice carry bag with rope straps...seems well built...thin legs but light weight...i think it will easily handle the fujis...

I'm leaning heavilly towards this tripod (Sirui T-025) ... and I can get one locally for $219.00 from Mainline Photographics.

I already have a Manfrotto for the larger cameras up to my Crown Graphic and P67ii (which tests any tripod IMO) ... it will ne nice to have something that folds down this small and yet still appears to very strong.

The little Sigma will look very sexy on that Sirui. :)

I cribbed off you and got the Sirui T025. It is beautifully made. It has the Gitzo style antirotation legs, so each leg can be let out with one turn of one hand, and also has the Gitzo-style reverse folding legs, for minimum packed length. The QR plate is great, and very secure. I have complete confidence in it, at any angle. The separate panning adjustment is indispensible, and not just for panoramic shots, but for any careful set up where isolating one plane allows for the final adjustment. I've just returned from my first outing with this, in a dark and very packed tramway shed, with kids all over the place ringing the bells. It was perfect for removing the camera repeatedly as I moved about.

I cribbed off you and got the Sirui T025. It is beautifully made. It has the Gitzo style antirotation legs, so each leg can be let out with one turn of one hand, and also has the Gitzo-style reverse folding legs, for minimum packed length. The QR plate is great, and very secure. I have complete confidence in it, at any angle. The separate panning adjustment is indispensible, and not just for panoramic shots, but for any careful set up where isolating one plane allows for the final adjustment. I've just returned from my first outing with this, in a dark and very packed tramway shed, with kids all over the place ringing the bells. It was perfect for removing the camera repeatedly as I moved about.

I'm glad you like it ... I'm highly impressed with mine! :)

Back