Lightweight compact tripod .. any recommendations.

Great review, and disturbingly thorough :)
Thanks & I did laugh at your description, you do get to be a bit anal when you're in software though... The fact is that the tripod is pretty well made and you get about 85% of the quality of a Gitzo at about 1/2 the price.

The two leading high-end manufacturers Gitzo and RRS have very high prices and big margins on their products. Probably the best travel tripod you can buy is the RRS TQC-14 and it costs $850. You don't need to spend that kind of money to get stable and durable support, but it can be difficult to get past the labels in peoples' heads and their perceptions of manufactured goods from certain countries. Hence the grimy details of construction and usability and the comparisons with the Gitzo equivalent.

I was looking for a tripod last year and Roger Hicks pointed out his essay about this useful photographic accessory. It's probably loads more than would be relevant to your specific case, but it was a very educative read.

At the end, under Roger's advice, I settled on a Sirui T 005X. It's les than 12" long and is available also in a pricier carbon version that's not only lighter but also holds more weight. I have the regular aluminum version, which comes with a smallish ball-head, good up to 8 lbs. I believe the price was just around $120. The build quality seems very good to me, but I never had a top-end tripod to compare.

If you are backpacking and use trekking poles already, one option is the Novoflex basic ball mini tripod. Adding 3 trekking poles, a full height tripod is formed.

http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/camera-support-systems/macro-tripods/basicball/

I don't normally use a tripod. I still have one around for those occasions when it is really needed. But I have recently decided to go the trekking pole approach as well. The one I picked up from Amazon has a top that an be unscrewed and used as a monopod as well. I have not had a chance to use it yet.
http://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Desig...qid=1363923078&sr=8-1&keywords=Sherlock+staff

Gary

Here is a video of the Sirui that I found on YouTube...amazing to see people's fascination with unboxing videos extend to tripods, but useful nonetheless to give you a sense of size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL4zm-Boc5o

I hope this person never gets a Leica ... I may not have enough bandwidth! :D

Very thorough though ... and I did watch it right through. Seems very well made and I can get one locally. :)

I have this one -- it's great. Has worked perfectly in every situation I've needed it for. Very light, very compact, easy to set-up.

I'm leaning heavilly towards this tripod (Sirui T-025) ... and I can get one locally for $219.00 from Mainline Photographics.

I already have a Manfrotto for the larger cameras up to my Crown Graphic and P67ii (which tests any tripod IMO) ... it will ne nice to have something that folds down this small and yet still appears to very strong.

The little Sigma will look very sexy on that Sirui. :)

And I meant to add ... thanks for all the input from everyone. I think I know a lot more about tripods than I did previously. :)

I would love the Gitzo Traveller of course ... but that is a hell of a lot of money for something I really won't be using all that often.

Lots of good info here already, but when I went through this exercise recently I wound up with an Induro Carbon 8X CT214. Not cheap, but it is wonderfully strong and stable for its weight. I paired it with an Acratech head, but that is another story...

There seems to be as many opinions about tripods as there are photographers! I think all I can do is say what tripod works for me. I use the Slik Sprint Mini GM. Weight 0.7kg. Extended length 1.54m; folded length 0.43m. I go trekking and this tripod just fits in my rucksack. I don't rue its weight when I'm struggling up a mountain. I hang my rucksack off it for extra stability. It works and is not too expensive! Good luck with your search!

... I wound up with an Induro Carbon 8X CT214. Not cheap, but it is wonderfully strong and stable for its weight. I paired it with an Acratech head, but that is another story...
As you probably know Induro is an upscale Benro brand for the US market with different design detail to the Benro equivalents. Which Acratech head did you get?

"i am such a gear slut..." It ain't Dickens but close enough for me..

Requesting permission to invoke your quote when I'm looking at something that I truly don't need?

edit:
humm .. nice tripod.. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/40672404

Report back on quality and ease of use.. pls

Looks like it will hold an M or F body nikon with normal (non tele) lens.. ?

pkr

holds more than 13 pounds...
great consumer reviews at b&h...

To add to what's been said, there is also the Velbon Ultrek 43 series. Less than 12 inches with ballhead, 61 inches extended and quick to deploy. Used it for a year and has no problem taking a Rolleiflex on it.

Ability to hold a Rolleiflex is not actually that much of a test of a tripods worth. Weight is comparable to a DSLR, but the mass is centred above the tripod head, whereas the DSLR may have a zoom lens extending out from the tripod centre. (I realise the thread is not about DLSR use but in general, an SLR with a long lens is a better test of tripod stability and ability to control vibration). And the Rolleiflex shutter and absence of retracting reflex mirror is as smooth as it gets. You can put a Rollei TLR on a surprisingly flimsy tripod and get good results (providing it's not windy, that is). Assuming, of course, you are using a cable release, or the self timer, which, if one is using a tripod in the first place, you probably should be.

Regards,
Brett

When the spec. of a tripod gives the max. load as xx pounds it needs to be taken with a very large grain of salt.

As you probably know Induro is an upscale Benro brand for the US market with different design detail to the Benro equivalents. Which Acratech head did you get?

I didn't know about the relationship betwen Induro and Benro -- thanks for that!

I opted for the Acratech GPL ballhead and the combo is both strong and lightweight. I've used it to support up to a light 4x5 with no issues.

I opted for the Acratech GPL ballhead and the combo is both strong and lightweight. I've used it to support up to a light 4x5 with no issues.
I bought an Acratech Ultimate in January after my Markins Q3T locked up in the cold and I lost patience with it. So far it's been fine even though it looks like a piece of surveying equipment! This is my first Acratech and I'm hoping that it lives up to its billing as an extreme environment head.

Back