List of Sonnar Lenses

It's interesting to see the capital "M" on the ZK. On the 5 "mystery Sonnars" that I did recently, four had small "m"s. Two were all-German parts, two look like they were made using German machinery, but were "just different".

Been thinking on this. Oww head Hurts.

Why the Large "M" instead of the Small "m" on the focus ring? On the Zeiss LTM lenses, the helical must be removed from the focus mount for the focus ring to slide off. You cannot simply remove the three set screws and slide it forward. It is hard to reassemble as the screw that holds the helical in is almost under the focus ring. On a J-3, you can slide the focus ring forward to remove it, and the helical does not have to come out from the mount. The ridges inside the focus ring are different from those on the Zeiss lenses.

Now I want a ZK to take apart. If the ring is like that of the J-3, i.e. can slide forward to remove, than the "M" is a convenient reminder so you do not get parts crossed up.

I've picked up FOUR LTM 50mm lenses lately, all with totally ruined optics and GOOD focus mount. So there might be some Sonnars added to the list soon.

Thread on 135 lenses reminded me of a couple that I disassembled for cleaning:

Canon 135/3.5, I have the late black version. Sonnar. Mine now has index matching oil in place of the Canada Balsam and still outdoes the Nikkor 13.5cm F3.5 when used wide-open.

Arco 135/3.8 Tele-Colinar. Sonnar. This one is a real sleeper. As good as I've ever seen after cleaning.

Is your condition better and with a cap? It could be worth even more! :D

Here is my Quinon with 4 caps (3 bakelite & 1 leather):D:D:D:D
3464985648_f7b668e86a.jpg

Quinon with UV/IR filter:
3386580489_f3d6c7fd17.jpg

Last edited:
Got some Komura diagrams. Looks like the following are classic Ernostar designs (comprising four components of five elements, i.e., a first positive lens, a second cemented meniscus doublet lens, a third negative meniscus lens and a fourth positive lens).

105/2.8
105/2.5
105/2
135/2.8

The 85/1.4 (SLR only) is more complicated. Still unclear about the 80/1.8. But since the specs are identical to the original Ernostar, I would assume it to be an Ernostar as well.

Note that the 135/3.5 is a more primitive 3 element design.

Cheers,

Roland.

Last edited:
Here is the cap you want to get. It's got the Summitar threads for a flush fit; I've never seen another.

Cheers,

David

Yes, David, I couldn't find this cap:(
But consolation is that I will be using a UV/IR filter so I do not have to remove filter every time I need to cap the lens:D

cheers,
Michael

Brian, sorry for a late response -- missed your question here.
Unfortunately, Henry didn't make any note on that. Recently, I was trying in vain to take the focusing ring off, but it seems Henry put quite a "good" pressure and tightened up all 4 small screws that keep the ring. Perhaps, I need a stronger screwdriver to do this job, but it becomes risky since I don't have much experience in this area.
Anyway, he wrote the lens was a genuine Sonnar although its mechanical parts had been in a pretty bad shape.

I rebuilt my wartime 5cm F1.5 Sonnar in that same block, 28588xx. It and my 272 block 5cm F1.5 LTM Sonnar lens both have solid black lines for the aperture index.

285 lens

http://www.ziforums.com/showthread.php?t=143

272 lens

http://www.ziforums.com/showthread.php?t=120

On the four CZJ LTM Sonnars that I've worked on, the three key parts of the helicals of the CZJ Sonnars have matching 3-digit or 4-digit serial numbers. You have to take the focus ring off to find them. Any chance that Henry noted yours? It would be interesting to correlate them to the Lens SN. Might give a better idea of how many were actually made in LTM.

AND- it sounds like the Post 1954 J-3's use a different optical prescription than the earlier ones. I'll be testing my 1953 J-3 against the German Sonnars soon.

One more Sonnar 4cm f2 (pre-war?)

One more Sonnar 4cm f2 (pre-war?)

Does anyone know what's this? Is that some sort of after market self-made Sonnar? Looks like a pre-war thing in LTM!

Attachments

• Sonnar_40.jpg
    Sonnar_40.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Sonnar40_1.jpg
    Sonnar40_1.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 0
Wow first time ever I've know of a 40mm Sonnar. Looks interesting, any sample ?

If it were mine, I wouldn't ask :) Found it recently on the Internet site. Obviously, I googled and found it could be a Tenax II model (BTW, that was already mentioned in the thread). Regarding the posted picture, to me it looks like someone put it into Industar-22 (LTM) mount or alike. I wonder if it can theoretically bring any good picture.

Another Sonnar: Tanar 5cm f1.8
It does not have a infinity lock & does not have enough grip at the base of the lens; thus I find it hard to unmount the lens.
4052645991_0636356472.jpg
4053394144_6afd613ea6.jpg

There seem to be an Exposure Value scale engraved on the lens tip, which corresponds to a Shutter Speed scale inscribed along the aperture ring:
4053405924_43c6b44296.jpg
4053399818_19efb5f09e.jpg

There also is a line of Sonnar lenses available for the Rolleiflex SL 35 series. Some of the Voigtlander lenses are Sonnar variants -- the Skoparex, I believe, is among these. I'm referring to the German Voigtlander (not Cosina Voigtlander).

I'm not sure what the Ultron, Nokton or Septon were (again, German Voigtlander, not Cosina Voigtlander).

Right, it's a prewar Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar. It's an f/2.0 lens.

I took two quick snaps, bought LTM modified Sonnar 40/f2.0 earlier this year. it really is a tiny lens.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I wonder if it can theoretically bring any good picture.

dont know if its any good, but it takes pictures all right (havent had time to use it much yet, only one test roll).

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0812_Helsinki_LeicaII_Sonnar40_ISO100TMax_036.jpg
    0812_Helsinki_LeicaII_Sonnar40_ISO100TMax_036.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 1028_0265.jpg
    1028_0265.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 1028_0266.jpg
    1028_0266.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 2
Back