Look what came in the mail

Zorki 4, Jupiter 8, Jupiter 12

Plus some 40.5mm filters and leather case. Arrived yesterday from Byuphoto! Thanks Rick!

Gene

Attachments

• 20060620-003g--zorki4-lenses-inglewood.jpg
    20060620-003g--zorki4-lenses-inglewood.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 0
My Pentax Spotmeter V arrived today. It's big, but a lovely bit of kit, and so precise! Now I have to learn how to put it to good use!

request for sellers

request for sellers

no biggie, just a request -- if you're selling a camera, please indicate if it doesn't come with a lens cap and note the size to the buyer. This allows the buyer to source an inexpensive one on-line at about the same time the camera arrives, instead of getting surprised with no lens cap and having to either wait, or waste gas and money trying to find one locally.

Another suggestion is if you are shipping, even if you're including the shipping, consult with the buyer. I'm currently waiting on a camera I paid for weeks ago, and the seller has no idea where the camera is, and worst of all, the shipping company's "web site" shows it has been in the same place for over a week.

In other words, if you don't use the USPS, DHL, FedEx, UPS, and are selling to someone in the US. Throw them a bone, and give them an option to pay for some reliable shipping if you have no clue if or when they will ever receive the camera they paid you for.

Thanks!!

ChrisN said:
My Pentax Spotmeter V arrived today. It's big, but a lovely bit of kit, and so precise! Now I have to learn how to put it to good use!

Chris,

I have been using a Pentax spotmeter for many years, and I am so used to getting precise spot readings. You will love the meter once you get used to it. Try the first time just "scanning" the view with the meter to get 10 readings or so. It really is a learning experience. After a while, you will become an expert in guessing all types of exposures just by looking a scene and letting your brain do the "spotmetering".

Regards,
Raid

I think it's overrated

I think it's overrated

What's the degree of coverage? I think my built-in Chinon meter does better, and my hexar AF in manual mode does a 4 degree accurate spot reading.

raid amin said:
Chris,

I have been using a Pentax spotmeter for many years, and I am so used to getting precise spot readings. You will love the meter once you get used to it. Try the first time just "scanning" the view with the meter to get 10 readings or so. It really is a learning experience. After a while, you will become an expert in guessing all types of exposures just by looking a scene and letting your brain do the "spotmetering".

Regards,
Raid

ampguy said:
What's the degree of coverage? I think my built-in Chinon meter does better, and my hexar AF in manual mode does a 4 degree accurate spot reading.

I think all their "spot" meters were down 1 degree. They may have offered other circles as well. My Gossen attachment for my Luna Pro sbc offers 1, 5, and 10 degree spots. You often see attachments for the Gossen Luna Pro offered as spot meters when in fact they are 7 1/2 or 15 degree circles. Not really what is usually considered "spot." To me that always meant at least one circle of 1 degree.

International shipping with a courrier company like UPS or FEDEX is expensive because they charge a customs brokerage fee. (jsut ask back alley) With international shipping, if there is an unusually long delay, it is almost always due to the receiving country's Customs Office. (Just ask back alley)

Hi Frank

Hi Frank

I am not disputing your claims below at all. For me, it is worth quite a bit in time and money to know the exact delivery day so I can schedule to have someone present to sign for, and to know the exact day the shipment will arrive. Let's communicate better, and not assume we know what's best for everyone in this global forum. Thanks Frank.

FrankS said:
International shipping with a courrier company like UPS or FEDEX is expensive because they charge a customs brokerage fee. (jsut ask back alley) With international shipping, if there is an unusually long delay, it is almost always due to the receiving country's Customs Office. (Just ask back alley)

Guilt Reducer

Guilt Reducer

Back in the sixties, my parents gave me a little Olympus Pen S 3.5 for my birthday. Lout that I was, several months later I traded it toward a FED I with a 50/2 collapsable lens. Almost 40 years later, the Pen S with the 3.5 is a hard to find collectable, sometimes selling for more than $75.00 US. I snagged this one for only $26.00 US because the description and photo were bad. 40 years of guilt have been washed away.

Attachments

• P6220004.JPG
    P6220004.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 0
VictorM. said:
Back in the sixties, my parents gave me a little Olympus Pen S 3.5 for my birthday. Lout that I was, several months later I traded it toward a FED I with a 50/2 collapsable lens. Almost 40 years later, the Pen S with the 3.5 is a hard to find collectable, sometimes selling for more than $75.00 US. I snagged this one for only $26.00 US because the description and photo were bad. 40 years of guilt have been washed away.

Sure is nice when it's that easy! :)

ampguy said:

It covers exactly one degree. Most camera built-in spotmeters cover more than one degree.

Regards,
Raid

Just got this:
Optimus Turret Viefinder. Settings for 3.5, 5, 8.5, 9, and 13.5 cm. Built in diopter adjustment(-4, -2, 0, +2, +4) and parralax correction in both feet and meters. decent condition and a nice small leather case(which I don't think was actually made for it but it fits).
Rob

Attachments

• Optimus turret VF.JPG
    Optimus turret VF.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 0
My j12 from Alex Photo in Ukraine arrived, along with two extra take-up spools and a yellow filter. The lens is ok, but kind of clicks through at three points of the focus rotation.

The skin in the back came from Aki-Asahi a week ago.

The stuff from alex and Aki-Asahi took 6 days each.

I made a rear lens cap from an empty plastic spice jar.

Attachments

• Shot1.jpg
    Shot1.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Lens_wRearCap.jpg
    Lens_wRearCap.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It is fairly typical of a lens needing a re-lube. The grease may well have gone waxy.

Kim

Fedzilla_Bob said:
My j12 from Alex Photo in Ukraine arrived, along with two extra take-up spools and a yellow filter. The lens is ok, but kind of clicks through at three points of the focus rotation.

Kim Coxon said:
It is fairly typical of a lens needing a re-lube. The grease may well have gone waxy.

Kim
I thought that might be the case. Then I realized that I could hear a kind of spring like "tink" sound with each of the clicks. I wondered if I had not mounted the lens correctly, After looking it up I learned that I had to align both the camera mount and the lens at infinity.

Things improved quite a bit after that. Only one "tink" remains.

There's a lot to be said for Leica thread mount. Very straight forward. The Contax mount seems like a touch of mad genius.

Sonnar arrived

Sonnar arrived

A Zeiss-Opton Sonnar 1.5/50mm arrived today from an eBay seller in India. Very pleasant transaction. It was $168.50 including shipping by EMS. The lens looks pretty good, with a couple of dust spots but no sign of fungus. It appears the filter ring once had a dent that was thoroughly straightened, and the aperture ring is a bit stiffer between 11 and 16. This will go on my Contax IIIa, and then I'll see what all the praise has been about!

Attachments

• 1sonnar.jpg
    1sonnar.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2sonnar.jpg
    2sonnar.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3sonnar.jpg
    3sonnar.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 0
I just got back into town and sitting waiting on my desk for me was a complete Konica Hexar RF kit that I won on Eboy. Had it shipped from Australia. I think Australia is one of the last countrys with a favorable exchange rate. Only 1500 U.S for the body and three lenses, 28mm, 50mm and a 90mm.

Matt...

Attachments

• P1020005.JPG
    P1020005.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1020006.JPG
    P1020006.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P1020007.JPG
    P1020007.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 0
Back