Looking for a compact digital

jpa66

Jan as in "Jan and Dean"
Local time
6:29 AM
Hey all.

Not sure where to post this, so I put it up in the general digital compact area.

I'd like to get a compact digital camera. My prerequisites are:
- smallish size
- no shutter lag
- a zoom (at least one that covers say, 35mm to 85mm equivalent)
- HAS to be useful in low-light situations
- realtively easy to use

I just want one for more candid photos of when I go on holiday, when I'm just at a party, or just hanging around. I'd like to keep it under a grand, and less is most definitely welcomed. Interchangeable lenses are not a must, but would be nice (if they have them).

I've sen the Oly em/om? 3/4 models, and they look interesting, but the model I saw seemed to be pretty large (thanks, Marc!). Keep in mind that I'm not a digital guy, and really only want a better camera than my little Canon s-something-or-other that I can throw around with me when I'm out and/or away from home. This will NOT replace my film stuff (which I love to death, and plan on always using as my primary photographic outlet).

Thanks in advance.

Jan

You might want to consider a Pentax MX-1. I bought one recently for the same reasons that that you mentioned: small, good zoom range, good low light capability and easy to use. This little Pentax gets no press and is truly underrated. It's my "go to" camera when I'm out with friends or at a party and need something small and unobtrusive. Outside of the hi quality jpgs, it also has a nifty tilting view screen for great candids. The only downside is that it has no optical viewfinder. Viewing is solely through it's very hi quality preview screen. You might want to look into it. Cheers!

The Oly looks promising.

I'll also check out the Pentax. Never really gave much thought to it (didn't really even know about it, actually). Does it have the possibility of adding an optical viewfinder?

Might look at the Panasonic micro 4/3 if you are looking at Oly. The GF bodies are small. Oly and Panasonic bodies don't have auxiliary optical viewfinders, but you can add an electronic viewfinder.

The Oly looks promising.

I'll also check out the Pentax. Never really gave much thought to it (didn't really even know about it, actually). Does it have the possibility of adding an optical viewfinder?

Unfortunately, no and it doesn't have an accessory shoe to mount one. That was my primary concern, coming from an M3 and other rangefinders. However, I've gotten over it and learned to use the preview screen. It also takes great videos with very good image stabilization

Short list (actually, a bit long)

Short list (actually, a bit long)

OK, I've "narrowed" it down to this list:

Under 500 usd:
- Panny Lumix zs20
- Panny Lumix dmc-lx7k
- Sony RX 100
- Canon Powershot G16
- Canon Powershot sx700
- Canon Powershot s120

Under a grand:
- Sony Alpha A600
- Panny Lumix DMC-GX1k
- Panny Lumix GX7

Keeping in mind that my list of features is as follows (in order of importance):
- good pics in low light
- no shutter lag
- ZOOM at least to 75mm (35mm equivalent)
- SMALL size
- adjustable shutter/aperture
- optical or electronic view finder (I just want to be able to look through something)
- built-in flash

Things I don't care about:
- wifi
- in-camera special effects
- tons of pixels (a good sensor and reasonable ammount of pixels is fine)
- RAW capability

Really, all I want is a camera that takes good pictures in low light, is reasonably small, and has a decent zoom. I've ruled out the Oly em5, because it seemed to be so big when I checked one out in person.

I'd also like to know if the more expensive ones would be worth the money over the cheaper models, given my parameters.

Feel free to strike out any camera on the list - that's what they're there for.

Thanks for the help.

If you don't mind no EVF, consider the Sony A5100 - a A6000 without EVF. And you could even consider the A5000 as it is as good but lesser AF. The 16-50 lens isn't too hot, but if you use jpeg anyway, the camera corrects most flaws.

The Sony's are best in low light, the Pannasonic m3/4 are close. The Sony RX100 could be good enough (depends what you're used to). I would steer away from the small sensor cameras if you want good pics in low light. That leaves only the Sony RX100 in your under $500,- list.

From your list, I think the Sony A6000 and Panasonic GX7 are the best buy.

I would steer away from the small sensor cameras if you want good pics in low light. That leaves only the Sony RX100 in your under $500,- list.

Thanks, I'll scratch those off of the list, as low-light performance is key.

RX100. Bear in mind that version I does NOT have a a hot shoe, hence no optical viewfinder or EVF, which is one of your criteria, albeit low on the order of importance. Version II and III are fine.

So the Ricoh GR is off your list? (no zoom, no VF - unless you have a spare 28mm VF lying around).

I've had mine for a couple of weeks and absolutely adore it. I actually left my rangefinders at home and didn't miss them a bit. The ISO gets a bit spotty at 3200 but everything else about the camera just really hits home with me. And snap focus means zero shutter lag.

As for zoom, you can approximate one with cropping (there's an option for a 28/35/47mm crop mode).

So the Ricoh GR is off your list? (no zoom, no VF - unless you have a spare 28mm VF lying around).

I've had mine for a couple of weeks and absolutely adore it. I actually left my rangefinders at home and didn't miss them a bit. The ISO gets a bit spotty at 3200 but everything else about the camera just really hits home with me. And snap focus means zero shutter lag.

As for zoom, you can approximate one with cropping (there's an option for a 28/35/47mm crop mode).

Sam,

Yes - I have to have a zoom. I really want a camera primarily for traveling and just knocking about. Everything else is strictly film (well, even travel is for film, but not when I want to go out for an evening stroll...).

Narrowed it down to 3...

Narrowed it down to 3...

I've narrowed down my choices to 3 cameras:

- Panny GX7
- Sony Alpha 6000
- Fuji X-E2

I know, the Fuji is not in the same ballpark price-wise, but the more I've researched, the more I'm torn between something that is more pocket-able/user friendly versus something a bit more expensive that I'll probably get more satisfaction out of.

And I wouldn't be going back and forth so much if this were a film camera purchase - I'm not too fond of digital in general, but I do recognize it's uses, having had an early Nikon dslr, so I'm trying to make the right decision here, as I'll most likely not be buying another digital for quite awhile.

So, all things considered, which would you guys choose, given my parameters?

Back