M Typ 240 vs M Monochrom

M Typ 240 vs M Monochrom

• Sell M9, buy M Typ 240 (for Color and B+W)

Votes: 80 26.5%
  • Sell M9, buy M Monochrom and Fuji X-E1/X 1 Pro etc.

Votes: 29 9.6%
  • Keep M9 - It is good enough for all of it.

Votes: 115 38.1%
  • Keep M9, AND buy M Monochrom (Bad !)

Votes: 47 15.6%
  • Sell M9, buy M Typ 240 AND M Monochrom (Very Bad !!)

Votes: 31 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SEP is Silver Efex Pro, a software package that is intended to add a film look to digital images and includes an often intrusive 'srructure' filter

I know what it is. I own it. Just wondered about reactions to it.

Oops, sorry. Misread your question on my phone.

I think SEP draws mixed reactions. A friend of mine uses it a lot with his dslr and makes some lovely images - his background is black and white film, which gives him a reference.

On the other hand there is a lot of heavily used structure filter that gives a particular look, that is a love it or hate it, and certainly not rooted in film history.

Mike

I see!

Many thanks.

Oops, sorry. Misread your question on my phone.

I think SEP draws mixed reactions. A friend of mine uses it a lot with his dslr and makes some lovely images - his background is black and white film, which gives him a reference.

On the other hand there is a lot of heavily used structure filter that gives a particular look, that is a love it or hate it, and certainly not rooted in film history.

Mike

Yes I think it's very tempting to go crazy in SEP and get effects that can look quite unrealistic. I think once you're done playing with the sliders etc, you're likely to realize that you only need to do a very little bit in SEP to make your photos 'pop' that extra bit -- if they even need them at all!

Think that was what I was referring to in that pool photo -- to my eye, there's nothing that SEP could have done to that photo to make it better than it is. Not to say that the Monochrom can't achieve the same results, but the M9 can definitely hold its own in the b+w dept.

I understand, thank you. Don't go overboard, as my mother would say.

It's a lovely photograph.

Yes I think it's very tempting to go crazy in SEP and get effects that can look quite unrealistic. I think once you're done playing with the sliders etc, you're likely to realize that you only need to do a very little bit in SEP to make your photos 'pop' that extra bit -- if they even need them at all!

Think that was what I was referring to in that pool photo -- to my eye, there's nothing that SEP could have done to that photo to make it better than it is. Not to say that the Monochrom can't achieve the same results, but the M9 can definitely hold its own in the b+w dept.

Back