M Typ 240 vs M Monochrom

M Typ 240 vs M Monochrom

• Sell M9, buy M Typ 240 (for Color and B+W)

Votes: 80 26.5%
  • Sell M9, buy M Monochrom and Fuji X-E1/X 1 Pro etc.

Votes: 29 9.6%
  • Keep M9 - It is good enough for all of it.

Votes: 115 38.1%
  • Keep M9, AND buy M Monochrom (Bad !)

Votes: 47 15.6%
  • Sell M9, buy M Typ 240 AND M Monochrom (Very Bad !!)

Votes: 31 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
why dont you upgrade the M9 to a M9-P cause it looks cooler and buy some new glass instead? forget the chrom unless you do lots of street photography..you dont want to be stuck with one if ther eis a scene that looks good in color only.

Nice writeup. One niggle- the Auto-ISO issue is contentious About half of the users prefer Leica's way and use the manual setting to flick the camera off all auto settings to be able to get exact exposure in difficult circumstances. Leica has promised to make a choice of methods available in a future firmware.

i have a Monochrom as a loaner until my lenses and m9 come back from coding.

i opted for the MM because i thought it was going to be fun and i always wanted to try it. after 2 weeks with it i know that this camera is not for me.
in my normal setup i have an m9 and an m6 with kodak tx for black and white. i shot a bunch of pic with mm in the first week but soon became bored. when i shoot digital, i prefer to shoot in color with the option of "maybe" converting it to black and white. i did not see a major difference that made me go and buy the MM now. in fact, i am really happy to get my m9 back and return the MM.
Ah - but the thing is to shoot the M9 and MM side by side and pick the right camera for the shot you see.

I voted keep the M9. I own an M8 and I checked out an M240 at a Leica store and honestly I was unimpressed by it... in fact a bit sad after trying it out (in the shop). It seemed a lot more complicated and had too many features, etc. Headed more in the direction of a regular SLR style camera. I dont need Live View or video... What I really want is a Leica M digital that can be used without using the screen... not a Leica that tries to act like an SLR... sigh...

Carry on without a Leica? Yes definitely you can. Owning a certain brand of camera is an option, not a necessity.

Following your advice :)
Sold M9, should have the Typ 240 in a year or so, but am in line.
Love my M2. Selling one (see ad) and keeping one.
I already feel happier :D

I use an M6 and now the M 240 (previously M-E). The Typ 240 is so much faster in operation than the M9. Previewing, zooming to check details etc is much quicker. The large screen with gorilla glass is also a huge improvement. I've been using my camera without case or screen protector for 2 months and it still looks mint.

Image quality is a huge improvement at high ISOs (good up to 4000+), otherwise at base ISO it's not much better than the M9. Overall i'm very happy with the upgrade. It could've been a bit cheaper though. Hope your camera comes soon... I'm sure you'll love it.

M6 has been taking a back seat for the last 2 months... hehe. Unfortunately I've been reaching for the 6x6 medium format cameras when I actually decide to play with film.

Color from the M6

Color from the M6

I agree, this is a very tough question. I have the M9 and absolutely love it. I shoot color and black and white with it.

I also have an M6 which is used primarily for black and white film.

The Monochrom is expensive so I would have to sell the M9 to help finance it. What I have not yet decided is whether I am willing to go without the gorgeous color shots from the M9 for the wonderful black and white that the Monochrom can provide. Especially when black and white film is still so useful.

Hmmm. I have rented a Monochrom for the weekend to see if using it for a few days will help resolve the question for me.

For now I voted to keep my M9.

Why not use your M6 with color slide film for your occasional color use and shoot the MM as your main camera?

I have the MM and an M8.2, the M9 to M8 downgrade will help fund your MM.

The MM is worth it, it's files are intoxicating.

Why not use your M6 with color slide film for your occasional color use and shoot the MM as your main camera?

I have the MM and an M8.2, the M9 to M8 downgrade will help fund your MM.

The MM is worth it, it's files are intoxicating.

I'm doing something very similar.

I've sold my M9.
I just received an MM from out west that is a real beaut !
Amazingly, the day after I got the MM, I got called about my long ordered M240 having arrived at the dealer's. Now the dilemma !
So, I plan to keep the MM, and sell the M240
very soon.
AND, I'll use my legacy (Leica) lens on an XE-1 or NEX-5n. The latter I am told is a spectacular body for that use, and laughably inexpensive compared to the leica digital bodies. I managed to get one here on RFF for $360 including adapters ! I can hardly wait to try it out.

So, problems solved...er...right ?

Before selling the Leica M, try some B&W conversions using SEP:

9625938520_65148499ef_c.jpg

I've sold my M9.
I just received an MM from out west that is a real beaut !
Amazingly, the day after I got the MM, I got called about my long ordered M240 having arrived at the dealer's. Now the dilemma !
So, I plan to keep the MM, and sell the M240
very soon.
AND, I'll use my legacy (Leica) lens on an XE-1 or NEX-5n. The latter I am told is a spectacular body for that use, and laughably inexpensive compared to the leica digital bodies. I managed to get one here on RFF for $360 including adapters ! I can hardly wait to try it out.

So, problems solved...er...right ?

So, I plan to keep the MM, and sell the M240...
AND, I'll use my legacy (Leica) lens on an XE-1 or NEX-5n. The latter I am told is a spectacular body for that use...

Mirrors my plan. Almost.

Had the same dilemma after canceling the Monochrom order only to have it show up anyway. And then the dealer calling before I could cancel my preorder of the Typ 240. Sold the later and am considering another Monochrom body!

For color, I have been using the M7 with Provia, ektar and Portra. But the 5N has seen new life with this new adapter: https://www.phigmenttech.ca/lmnex/

I have the hawks adapter and really love it's ability for close focus, but find its movement a bit undesirable. I always have to check and then move it back to position for infinite focus. The phigment adapter solves 2 problems, EXIF so I now what lens I was using and it remedies Sony's poorly implemented focus magnification.

As soon as you start to focus or refocus the magnification kicks in. I had pretty much stopped using the NEX until this adapter came out. It's pricey, but worth it as I have a viable and cheap option for digital with M lenses now. I have a few AF lenses for the NEX, but the AF is so slow, it's easier to use the MF lenses!

Mirrors my plan. Almost.

Had the same dilemma after canceling the Monochrom order only to have it show up anyway. And then the dealer calling before I could cancel my preorder of the Typ 240. Sold the later and am considering another Monochrom body!

For color, I have been using the M7 with Provia, ektar and Portra. But the 5N has seen new life with this new adapter: https://www.phigmenttech.ca/lmnex/

I have the hawks adapter and really love it's ability for close focus, but find its movement a bit undesirable. I always have to check and then move it back to position for infinite focus. The phigment adapter solves 2 problems, EXIF so I now what lens I was using and it remedies Sony's poorly implemented focus magnification.

As soon as you start to focus or refocus the magnification kicks in. I had pretty much stopped using the NEX until this adapter came out. It's pricey, but worth it as I have a viable and cheap option for digital with M lenses now. I have a few AF lenses for the NEX, but the AF is so slow, it's easier to use the MF lenses!

Interesting ! I was about to order an M adapter for the NEX-5n, but will now consider the Phigmenttech product. The adapter I received free when I bought the used camera does not permit infinity focusing on any of my legacy lens.
Have only had the NEX-5n a week, and love its compact "carry-everywhere" convenience, with amazingly good IQ to boot. It is VERY well designed in many ways tho' the menu structure could do with some simplifying. The 18-55mm kit zoom is very good, IMHO. I had really bought it to use the legacy lens, that I have plenty of.

I am wondering how long before Leica removes the Bayer filter from the Typ 240, and call it the new Monochrom.

I had really bought it to use the legacy lens, that I have plenty of.

It works very well with M lenses, although with wides I did notice some smearing on the edges. It doesn't have the micro lenses like the Ricoh GXR M module. The sigma 19mm and 30mm lenses also work nicely. Super sharp! But I just can't seem to get along with AF on anything but a DSLR. So manual focusing it is. I plan on doing a video review of the Phigment and the Hawk's adapters soon...

Good to know that you like the adapter. I look forward to your review!

Interesting ! I was about to order an M adapter for the NEX-5n, but will now consider the Phigmenttech product. ...

In case you are still contemplating, I plan on rolling out my new website in a few days; it's nothing fancy but should be a little more informative and useful.

Of course the m9 is good for everything, but it´s true the m240 has extende capabilities in comparison the the m9...so i´d sell my m9 and jump into an m240.

:rolleyes:

Back