M10M 41-42 MP sensor rumor

Calzone

Gear Whore #1
Local time
12:44 AM
Leica Rumors spammed me with an updated rumor M10M will have a 41-42 MP sensor.

How crazy is that. No Bayer filter array and mucho pixels. Another step towards medium format IQ.

How big do you want to print?

Cal

... No Bayer filter array...
Cal

That's finally the MM10 I take it?
It will just make the files so big, I would need to upgrade my computer and workflow.
Roughly 2.5x the resolution than the MM9. No one really needs that.
Do I want one? :rolleyes:

That's finally the MM10 I take it?
It will just make the files so big, I would need to upgrade my computer and workflow.
Roughly 2.5x the resolution than the MM9. No one really needs that.
Do I want one? :rolleyes:

Klaus,

Crazy is good.

Where are the haters? LOL.

BTW I'm going on some luxury cruise in early December as a "Plus-One" (meaning guest) for a "Maggie" gig. Eight days that is a river cruise that begins in Germany and ends up in Switzerland.

Cal

Looks like they are playing catch up with their Q2 (47.3 million pixels).

It would make sense to do so from a marketing perspective. In fact they probably do not have much choice as some cameras made by Leica's competitors are already looking at 50 million pixels in the rear view mirror. In that situation it rapidly becomes hard to ask what Leica asks for a camera body when the the rest of the market (including some of Leica's own cameras) are already out in front. Still I think as someone else here has said I would need to upgrade my PC hardware to cope.

So Cal, you will get one?

John,

Maybe...

But for me it would be better to have a SL2-M. I have all this legacy SLR glass that works great on digital like the Noct-Nikkor and the 50 Lux-R "E60." Unlike other glass these lenses work great on digital cameras.

Another reason for the SL2-M is that I love-love the 50 Lux-SL "Monster." It crushes the 50 Lux-M ASPH I had in rendering. The bokeh and OOF are so much smoother than the M-lense which can be overly "biting" at times.

Then there are the SL APO primes. They just came out with a 50 Cron-SL, and Jono Slack compared the APO 50 Cron-M against the APO 50 Cron-SL. The SL lens won in that shootout.

Leica will be extending the APO technology to all the "Crons," even the wides. How crazy is that? Clear to me that if you print big that the SL, SL2, SL2-M is the way to go if you want to print mucho big/huge.

For most thought I think the resolution, IQ, and added detail that is a huge step towards medium format won't be utilized. Not everyone prints, cell phone images look great on the Internet, and even people that print how many print for exhibition and print large.

For many the M10M is just overkill.

Klaus makes a point that the files will be huge, but the SL2-M would be my ultimate camera. Interesting that the M10 is only 24 MP. If the rumor is true that the M10M will have a 41-42 MP sensor it kinda is a game changer. A very serious B&W only camera.

Also know that I won't sell my SL if I get a SL2, and if eventually if Leica creates/makes a SL2-M I'll keep all three. To me it is clear if I want the best glass the L-mount is the way to go.

Also know that a Noct-Nikkor, a 50 Lux "E60" or 50 Lux-SL on the CL is a remarkable portrait machine.

Cal

Although I do not need so many MP it's nice to see Leica to improve the technical side of the offer. No one is forced to buy but who could benefit from it can!

Looks like they are playing catch up with their Q2 (47.3 million pixels).

It would make sense to do so from a marketing perspective. In fact they probably do not have much choice as some cameras made by Leica's competitors are already looking at 50 million pixels in the rear view mirror. In that situation it rapidly becomes hard to ask what Leica asks for a camera body when the the rest of the market (including some of Leica's own cameras) are already out in front. Still I think as someone else here has said I would need to upgrade my PC hardware to cope.

Peter,

That was our friend Klaus who mentioned the crazy file sizes and resolution on above.

Cal

Although I do not need so many MP it's nice to see Leica to improve the technical side of the offer. No one is forced to buy but who could benefit from it can!

Robert,

I can see using the 23 Cron L-mount to have a very capable street shooter that is made for a cropped sensor. Although not 41-42 MP as rummored I would still exceed 24 MP, have 35 mm FOV, and have autofocus.

This would make an SL2 a very fast shooter and not so big. I already own the 23 Cron that I use on a CL.

Cal

I am thinking that even though so many MP can be slowing me down for PP, it is like driving a sports car that can go max 200mph, but the speed limit is 70mph. A German friend once asked me why Americans buy MB sports cars when they cannot really enjoy driving their cars at the top speeds. ".... because they want to". Another option would be to get the SL (not the SL2) and to use remaining funds to get a super lens maybe.

Klaus,

Crazy is good.

BTW I'm going on some luxury cruise in early December as a "Plus-One" (meaning guest) for a "Maggie" gig. Eight days that is a river cruise that begins in Germany and ends up in Switzerland.

Cal

Good for you, Cal. I have a friend who would tell me something like "I could accompany you and carry all your luggage" if I had such good luck!

John,

Maybe...

But for me it would be better to have a SL2-M. I have all this legacy SLR glass that works great on digital like the Noct-Nikkor and the 50 Lux-R "E60." Unlike other glass these lenses work great on digital cameras.

Another reason for the SL2-M is that I love-love the 50 Lux-SL "Monster." It crushes the 50 Lux-M ASPH I had in rendering. The bokeh and OOF are so much smoother than the M-lense which can be overly "biting" at times.

Then there are the SL APO primes. They just came out with a 50 Cron-SL, and Jono Slack compared the APO 50 Cron-M against the APO 50 Cron-SL. The SL lens won in that shootout.

Leica will be extending the APO technology to all the "Crons," even the wides. How crazy is that? Clear to me that if you print big that the SL, SL2, SL2-M is the way to go if you want to print mucho big/huge.

For most thought I think the resolution, IQ, and added detail that is a huge step towards medium format won't be utilized. Not everyone prints, cell phone images look great on the Internet, and even people that print how many print for exhibition and print large.

Klaus makes a point that the files will be huge, but the SL2-M would be my ultimate camera. Interesting that the M10 is only 24 MP. If the rumor is true that the M10M will have a 41-42 MP sensor it kinda is a game changer. A very serious B&W only camera.

Also know that I won't sell my SL if I get a SL2, and if eventually if Leica creates/makes a SL2-M I'll keep all three. To me it is clear if I want the best glass the L-mount is the way to go.

Also know that a Noct-Nikkor, a 50 Lux "E60" or 50 Lux-SL on the CL is a remarkable portrait machine.

Cal

If people rush to buy the M10M, then maybe the cost for getting a used M10 will drop considerably? Hopefully :)

When a 5 year old Nikon D750 that you can buy new right now for $1500 has a better sensor than the current $7300 Leica M10, well, Leica buyers deserve better.

I am thinking that even though so many MP can be slowing me down for PP, it is like driving a sports car that can go max 200mph, but the speed limit is 70mph. A German friend once asked me why Americans buy MB sports cars when they cannot really enjoy driving their cars at the top speeds. ".... because they want to". Another option would be to get the SL (not the SL2) and to use remaining funds to get a super lens maybe.

Raid,

When I was a new driver my first car was a Volvo 122S. Its top speed was 100 mph. I know this for a fact since I wanted to know.

Also I had a 1984 Jeep Scrambler that had a speedometer that only went to 85 MPH. I had oversized tires so when I maxed out that 258 cubic inch inline six I was actually doing 100 MPH which was the maximum speed.

I have friends who autocross so performance is important to them.

Also a friend had a client who had a Porshe 911 Turbo convertable wide body in triple black (black paint, black top, black interior). The owner threw us the keys so we could do about a weeks worth of driving in about 45 minutes to see what it is like to put a Porshe threw its paces.

Top speed was 135 through traffic. We went from Babylon, Islip, Bayshore, Islip Babylon testing the rev limiter that prevents you from blowing up the engine.

The clover leaf we figured out was best approached in Bayshore for the turnaround was in third gear where our top speed was 90 MPH coming out of a turn. My friend Steve, a big guy, was using all his upper body strength to steer the car as we likely were approaching one-G.

Coming into Babylon Town Hall we were doing 135 MPH through traffic. Steve said hold on, and then he tested the ABS brakes which were a new development at that time.

Understand that a Jeep at 100 MPH is barely on the ground and is more like a hovercraft, and a Porshe used as intended is really about physics and more like flying than driving.

When I did the sustained 100 MPH it was out west where there was no other vehicles in a deserted area. While the joy ride in the highway in the suburbs of Long Island the driving required skill, I would not deem reckless because the envelope of control the Porshe offered was so great.

There are always enthused individuals who will fully utilize performance.

Cal

Good for you, Cal. I have a friend who would tell me something like "I could accompany you and carry all your luggage" if I had such good luck!

Raid,

Pretty much I'm "Maggie's" entourage, and surely I'll be carrying her luggage.

Cal

Cal,
You live a risky lifestyle! :)

It is spelled Porsche .... :) It is pronounced "Porsha" In the US, people use "Porsh".

Cal,
You live a risky lifestyle! :)

It is spelled Porsche .... :) It is pronounced "Porsha" In the US, people use "Porsh".

Raid,

I still have that 70"s attitude. Back then we lived like there was no tomorrow. We did a lot of dumb things. Somehow I became old...

I have had an exciting life. My only two regrets: not using sunscreen; and having been a cigarette smoker for 15 years.

Cal

John,

Maybe...

Cal

I’m not sure if there will ever be an SL monochrome... has there been a rumor even?

Regarding the size of files, I hear this a lot. If your computer is really old maybe it could struggle, but I’ve been processing 42mp files on a 3 year old laptop and it doesn’t even blink. No difference between the 24mp and 42mp files that I can tell when processing. Of course they take up more space, but that’s the only real difference I can see.

Back