M8 is on the way...

congrats op. I binge watched all the videos from channel Taffy linked, liked also Hugo's videos.

.. what are some of the quirks that I should be looking out for with this camera?

methinks battery. eBay copies are bad quality these days and Leica originals cost a lot. am remembering 10 years ago, also third party batteries were least usable, which dont seem to be case anymore.

methinks battery. eBay copies are bad quality these days and Leica originals cost a lot. am remembering 10 years ago, also third party batteries were least usable, which dont seem to be case anymore.
Not even 10 years. I think the most recent 3rd party battery I have used on M8 was from around 2015, and that was fine. The issue with 3rd party batteries back in those days was incorrect/inconsistent reading of the battery level. I must have gone through 5-6 different brands or looks.

I have had mine since 2006 and usually shoot raw and convert it. If you shoot raw, you can set the ISO at 160 and dial in exposure compensation up to -3 if you need low light performance. That was a suggestion in an early website when the M8 first came out and it works, but only in raw. It gives you the equivalent of a higher ISO without the digital noise issue that's otherwise common with the M&. BTW, if you're going to shoot a lot, you may need more than one additional battery. Another btw, if you need IR filters, look at Igor Camera's website - he has a good selection of used ones in excellent condition and much less expensive than buying new.

Beautiful set of Photos Raid!
A perfect marriage, You and the M8 ~

Thank you, Helen. I really enjoy using the M8, to the degree that sometimes I must remind myself to be fair to my M9 and use it too :)
I don't look for high MP images.

Great suggestions, presspass! Thanks so much. I plan on shooting only in raw and then converting in LR.

Also, beautiful pictures, raid! You're also one of the folks that inspired me to pick one up.

Thank you Eric.
I usually carry with me several back-up batteries.
By mistake I took some photos two stops underexposed with the M9 (at ISO 160), but it was easy to extract nice looking images with Light Room.

Back