M8 Photos

I'm starting to get the hang of the M8's files.
Jpegs are crap but the RAW files are outstanding!

It will take some time to shoot the M8 just like I do with M film cameras but I feel I'm getting there.

Web-L1000015.jpg

You can relate to what I said? If yes, then please post your M8 shots :)
I tend to agree. One thing I have found with M8 RAW files is that they can be "worked" a lot in "post" to improve them. For example, the M8's CCD sensor does not cope all that well (by modern standards) with dynamic range and high contrast but so long as you under-expose them a bit (even up to one stop if you are in a high contrast situation) they can produce a lot of detail that would otherwise be lost - especially with its JPGs and especially with highlights.

I have also found much the same with sharpness. Quite often I have been a initially a bit disappointed with the sharpness of the out of camera RAW files in relation to their sharpness - after all, I thought, not having an AA filter was supposed to produce inherently sharper images out of camera but by comparison with many other cameras I have used they seem not to. But they never the less seem to respond extremely well to post processing in the sharpening department and I can get away with more sharpening of them than I can with files from other camera systems. This has always mystified me a little.

Recently, I began some research on the M8 and I am intrigued. As the images here and elsewhere clearly show, the M8 was and is still a fine image-capturing instrument, even with its teething problems as the first digital Leica M.

I was unable to be an early adopter of either the M8 or M9. Still, though, despite the ensuing technical issues of both cameras over time, I am still loving the images posted online. I know very little about the M8 at this point though.

I admit I am curious why most M8 cameras apparently are languishing in a closet or on a shelf instead of being used.🤷🏼‍♂️

Perhaps it is time for a re-kindled interest in the M8! LOL… 😇

What a coincidence. I just bought an M8 minutes ago from an online dealer. I had the M8.2 and sold it when I got the M10M because I felt guilty about spending so much money on a camera. Here’s one with 21mm 1.4 Nokton. View attachment 4817745
Which begs the question… how do you rate the M8 on a satisfaction scale? I think it would compare favorably to any other digital M. Different, sure, but I submit that it appears to be an excellent choice for an M shooter. 😇

And I say this from being an M2/M3 user from long ago and still enjoying film! The M2 is my daily shooter lately.

Dave

L1025177.jpg

M8 with a newly converted 1934 5cm F1.5 Sonnar.

A check on Ebay- the price difference between an M8 and M240 is not that big. An M9 with replaced CCD is going for more. At this point- the M240 is probably the best bargain in Leica M digital cameras.

The M8 is going for upwards of $1500. I paid $2500 for mine in Jan 2010, one of the last batches and with 400 clicks on it, two batteries, fitted half case, and two IR cut filters. I would not sell mine for $1500. Too useful to have 1/8000th second for shooting wide-open. Mine is the lens test standard camera, and the grab and go camera. I use M8RAW2DNG almost exclusively.

View attachment 4823249

M8 with a newly converted 1934 5cm F1.5 Sonnar.

A check on Ebay- the price difference between an M8 and M240 is not that big. An M9 with replaced CCD is going for more. At this point- the M240 is probably the best bargain in Leica M digital cameras.

The M8 is going for upwards of $1500. I paid $2500 for mine in Jan 2010, one of the last batches and with 400 clicks on it, two batteries, fitted half case, and two IR cut filters. I would not sell mine for $1500. Too useful to have 1/8000th second for shooting wide-open. Mine is the lens test standard camera, and the grab and go camera. I use M8RAW2DNG almost exclusively.
Gorgeous! Lovely bokeh. Thanks for sharing that!😃

Ha! That shooting wide open with a 1/8000 shutter speed is what I am used to with my old Nikons. I miss that with the M2. ND filters are great but more work to do it right, so I practice daily to keep that protocol on my mind.

For that matter these days I have to practice most things daily… I guess it is a thing as we get older. LOL.🙄

Apparently an M8 still offers advantages!👍

The advantage I have today in researching the M8, is the wealth of information available online as opposed to when the M8 was essentially new. Also, over the ensuing years, my own experience with various formats, brands of cameras, and applications has given me a much different perspective of my needs and desires. Not only that, but profound life experiences have altered my reason for being involved in photography in the first place.

More on that later. Stay tuned.

Here is one video that I just found that summarizes how an M8 can be very appealing to me. In the meantime, I am happy to be immersed in film with the M2:

Which begs the question… how do you rate the M8 on a satisfaction scale? I think it would compare favorably to any other digital M. Different, sure, but I submit that it appears to be an excellent choice for an M shooter. 😇

And I say this from being an M2/M3 user from long ago and still enjoying film! The M2 is my daily shooter lately.

Dave

I am very happy with the M8. Mine is an M8u with the 1/4000 shutter same as the M8.2. The updated shutter is quiet with less vibration but sacrificing the upper 1/8000 speed. It must be the CCD sensor because I see more pop in the colors. I have the SL2 and even after 15 years of CMOS sensor advancements it looks muted compared to the CCD. Downside is that the M8 requires uv/ir filters for accurate colors with artificial fabric. By the way is also excellent for b/w conversions in post processing.IMG_0658.jpeg

Here‘s one in mixed lighting. No filter.

Thanks, Ray… I don’t look at the quirks of older cameras as significant problems, they are simply features and those were part of the whole experience then, and now. I agree with CCD sensors including digital backs. They just have that certain character I prefer.😃

Great colors in your photo!

As a distraction lately from serious medical emergencies I have been required to manage, I am immersing myself in learning more about the M8. It’s helpful and I am having quite a bit of fun, albeit in limited time available. Thank you for sharing!🤷🏼‍♂️

Back