Mac Mini with M1 chip

I didn’t shoot anything worth sharing and I’m not sure it would prove anything by itself. All I can say is it’s the fastest computer I’ve ever used, and I’ve been working in IT for 25 years. It blew my 2017 iMac out of the water, and that had a 3.4 GHz quad-core i7 CPU. The unified memory architecture makes a huge difference even with apps that use the Rosetta2 translation; a short delay the first time you run a new non-Apple Silicon app and then it just works. Native apps just open instantly and the only delays I notice are when the app has to fetch data over the internet. It’s just that much of a leap forward in design. I may try Lightroom just to see how well a native app works.

EDIT: It also is the most power-efficient computer I’ve used. I can’t stress it out enough to make the fan come on.

First I thank you all for the many answers and comments. Some confirmed thoughts I already had and other gave me ideas.

I am not really in the market for a new computer, but the recent problems with the new upgrade (10.1) of LR Classic even if temporary solved let me start to think. And I feel Adobe will not solve it. I started a thread about here: https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173008

And anyway I'm aware soon or late I'll have to buy a new computer, therefore I'm just looking around and trying to listen to various suggestions.

I'm actually with a Mac Pro (trash bin) connected to an Eizo screen and an hard disk where all my data are, both via Thunderbolt ports. On the internal memory of the Pro there is only software (125 GB of 250 available).

Two more HD for backups are connected one via USB and another via Firewire with an adapter to Thunderbolt port (this will be replaced one day with a new one) but I only connect one at a time and switch them each week.

Than I have a printer connected via USB. And usually one of the two scanners, but this does not need to be always connected. An USB video camera connected for Skype meetings.

What I do with a computer? Most of work is with LR, a minor part is PS and some work with InDesign. A few postprosduction of short clips with iMovie. Listening to music in background when working is good but not essencial.

Of course interent surfing, email writing and something similar which can be done without

Not being a professional speed is not essencial (no millisecond !)
On the other side what is essencial for me is to have a reliable machine, which I usually switch on in the morning and turn off in the night. This is why years ago I decided to go with the Mac Pro.

What made me curious about the new mini is the performance /price ratio which seems me favourable. I think in one or two years new M1 machine will arrive on the market and maybe and in case of additional compatibility problemsd with new versions of the software I use the M1 Mini could be an affordable temporary solution.

Thanks again to everyone who gave his ideas, much appreciated.

I have the M1 Mac mini with 16GB of RAM. I use Lightroom and Photoshop together with medium format scans that are more than 60Mpix. The M1 is considerably faster than my previous machine, a PC with 8 cores/16 threads at 4Ghz, 32GB RAM and an Nvidia Quadro P2000.

I agree this is the new entry level for Apple and next chips should be faster, but I fail to see what I would gain. This is plenty for photo work.

Back