Malaysia on film

Local time
3:10 AM
Hi all,

Inspired by Trung Nguyen's (member 'kiemchacsu') long running and fantastic thread about Hanoi on a Leica M, I'd like to start a similar thread for Malaysia on film.

My wife is Malaysian and I'm lucky enough to visit a couple of times a year. I usually try to shoot with a different camera/lens/film set up for each visit. It's a beautiful country, with amazing people, landscapes and food (oh god the food :)), but generally doesn't receive the same kind of visitor interest as neighbors like Thailand and Indonesia.

All members are welcome to post photos from any camera, film or format, as long as it's film and as long as it's Malaysia!

To begin! Some shots from the night markets on Chulia St, Penang. These were shot during my honeymoon in Jan, 2018.

M2, Voigtlander 28/f2 and APX400 @ 800iso.

m6 + canon 50/1.5 ltm + trix400

6029355356_362ebf9d15_z.jpg

contax iiia + carl zeiss sonnar 50/1.5 + hp5

6041358123_f825cac3f0_z.jpg

Hi all,

Inspired by Trung Nguyen's (member 'kiemchacsu') long running and fantastic thread about Hanoi on a Leica M, I'd like to start a similar thread for Malaysia on film.

My wife is Malaysian and I'm lucky enough to visit a couple of times a year. I usually try to shoot with a different camera/lens/film set up for each visit. It's a beautiful country, with amazing people, landscapes and food (oh god the food :)), but generally doesn't receive the same kind of visitor interest as neighbors like Thailand and Indonesia.

All members are welcome to post photos from any camera, film or format, as long as it's film and as long as it's Malaysia!

To begin! Some shots from the night markets on Chulia St, Penang. These were shot during my honeymoon in Jan, 2018.

M2, Voigtlander 28/f2 and APX400 @ 800iso.

Wow, it is a great honor for me to be mentioned in this. Appreciated.
I once visited Malaysia long time ago am from what I remember, it is multi cultures country and of course s great source for photography.
I am looking forward to see more.
Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, it is a great honor for me to be mentioned in this. Appreciated.

You're welcome! The Hanoi thread is a wonderful insight into the city :)

This time some colour! These two photos are from my Uncle's (in-law) Durian plantation near Kelian Intan, a tiny tin mining and farming village in Perak very close to the Thai border.

This is my Wife's maternal hometown, and while most of the family have since moved to KL or Penang, one Uncle and Aunty have stayed to manage the plantation.

Minolta Autocord and Provia 100F

Nick, a durian plantation owning uncle-in-law! That's only one down from a brewery owning uncle-in-law! Well done.
I'll wager not many people have been to Perak, not even Malaysians. I think my cousin-in-law comes form there. I must visit some day.

Awaiting the wedding games...

An interesting tradition for Malaysian weddings (mostly Chinese Malaysians) is the 'door games'. On the morning of the wedding, the groom is required to come and collect his bride from her family home. The bridesmaids set a series of challenges that the groom has to overcome to prove his love/devotion/etc. (with the help of his groomsmen). Challenges range from somewhat embarrassing to humiliating and painful and usually require payment.

It's worth looking them up on YouTube ;)

Leica M2, Voigtlander 50/f1.5 and Tmax100

Back