New York March NYC Meet-Up

Ha. Good. Slight issue with frame spacing. No big deal. I'll send it to get fixed attention to some point once it annoys me enough. Got a 4x5 setup I've been playing with. That's been taking my time. :) All is good. Have avoided the city for about 2 weeks now, working at our transmitter site in the Secaucus nj
swamps. Nice and peaceful, wasting plenty of sheet film.. :)
Stay safe all..

To my NYC friends, stay home and stay healthy. It’s a lot better here in Chile, but we are still going into a mandatory quarantine tonight for at least a week... and that’s with only 3 deaths in the country. My wife and I just had a kid two weeks ago, so we’ve been self quarantining already. This is no joke and one of our close RFF NYC friends likely has this virus... he’s been very sick for 9 days.

Greeting folks - it has been a long while. Hope everyone is sound and safe.

John, The first time I check back RFF in a few years, I saw your great news. Congrats! Hope all is well.

John

To my NYC friends, stay home and stay healthy. It’s a lot better here in Chile, but we are still going into a mandatory quarantine tonight for at least a week... and that’s with only 3 deaths in the country. My wife and I just had a kid two weeks ago, so we’ve been self quarantining already. This is no joke and one of our close RFF NYC friends likely has this virus... he’s been very sick for 9 days.

Hello John,
congratulations to your and your wife! All the best for your family.
To all the folks in the NY metro area (especially but not limited)
Stay safe and healthy and help out friends and neighbours who can get out to shop.

Keep a safe distance ... a smile can safe a life although you might want to hug a lot of people these days.
Keep up the spirit.
Cheers

Foolish Family update: Only the husband tested positive. He is doing better now. No hospital needed.

My anti-social behavior and being a loner at heart means no suffering on my part. Still on paid leave so no financial hit.

My neighbor is a health care worker. She looks worn down.

"Maggie" and I did a hospital style cleaning of our apartment with mucho disinfectants. I ended up having to throw out mucho K-7 inks that had shelf lifed and were stale. These likely could of been the source of my clogging problems on my 7800 when I loaded it with K-7 inks.

Now I have a stockpile of Piezography Pro inks and mucho rolls of 17 and 24 inch paper. Eventually I should be printing again and annoying people again. LOL. The Piezography Pro inks have a long shelf life of 5 years. Seems like an evolution for me to move from K-7 to Piezography Pro.

I think K-7 had a better midrange, but Piezography Pro deeper shadows and higher contrast. I think Joe would say that with some time I likely could recover the vast mids I love from K-7 with PP. Know that I'm stubborn.

I'm also finishing up a bass amp head that is modeled after a Ampeg B-15 NF from 1968. I am using an output tranny from a Fender Blond Twin (vintage 1960) so this amp will be about 80 watts from 4 6L6's instead of only 35-40.

The B-15 was a favorite studio amp for James Jamerson, a legendary bass player who is heavily recorded on Motown records.

Pretty much life is as if I'm retired. I'm only at work today to check my e-mail and to ramp up the Main Magnet and RF on my cyclotron.

Because of knowing poverty, I'm a bit of a hoarder. Maggie use to complain about my stockpiling, but now due to this emergency she says, "I'll never complain about your hoarding ever again."

When she asked me about food, I showed her a cabinet full of packages of pasta that I loaded up with when on sale. I can report that on Fairway on 86th Street initially I saw empty shelves on the pasta aisle.

Of course like Christian I happen to have many open projects to keep me occupied. One problem though is that some of the parts and hardware I need is in Public Storage, and they remain closed.

I feel that I'm lucky. Pretty much this lazy slacker is not suffering, and pretty much this experience is not so different from retiring. Kinda funny the reports though that some marriages and partnerships are coming apart. My guess is that I'm not the only annoying person out there.

I should know because I even drive myself crazy. LOL. At home I have been really productive, and I have been rather busy.

Cal

John,

It is kinda like September 11th where you know someone who is ill at this point.

Jerks in Washington have not figured it out that New York, New Jersey, and California, three high tax states, alone account for 25% of the U.S. GNP.

I know the high Federal taxes I pay go to help poorer states.

I can't see how we are not presently in a recession, I don't see many small businesses coming back, a month without business means many businesses will die.

Then there is the junk bond credit crisis yet to explode. "Look out below," I say...

Idiot Schumer did nothing to cover the 10-15 billion dollar hit in loss of revenue.

Out of the $1.2K check going out to every tax payer, don't be fooled. In my case it will be only a $200.00 check because my check gets scalled back since I pay taxes on an income over $75K.

The Dow last Thursday was a classic "Fool's Rally" IMHO.

Cal

Hey Cal,

Be safe and be well.

-Dan

Dan,

Been as if retired. I'm mucho lucky to get paid leave. Even though I work at two hospitals my work (research) is deemed "non-essential."

My heart goes out to the health care professionals, the first responders, and the essential workers like the grocery store folks that are risking their lives.

Sadly I know the worse is yet to come. I'm really pissed at our government, but our Govenor is doing a great job handling this emergency.

Cal

Cal,

Good time to set up your basket line and other stuff. I'm trying to finish my basement darkroom (as if it will EVER be completely done; It evolves).

Keep busy with mucho creative projects.

Cal,

Good time to set up your basket line and other stuff. I'm trying to finish my basement darkroom (as if it will EVER be completely done; It evolves).

Keep busy with mucho creative projects.

Dan,

Here at work I drilled holes in a hard brass plate that I'm using as a low inductance ground plane for a bank of mucho deady big electrolytic cap banks for mucho-much big current to handle the DC low current draw.

Pretty much the same idea used in building particle beam acellerators.

I still might have to change the dampers in my 7800. Currently it has been loaded with Piezoflush for the past 9 months.

When I load Piezography Pro inks then pretty much I'll be printing every day. I have thousands of dollars in ink and paper to burn through over the next year.

Printing will keep me off the streets I figure. Might be around June before I have to go to work again, but meanwhile I have 175 hours in my vacation bank. In three more pay periods I'll be maxed out in my vacation bank at 195 hours (six weeks or so).

Devil Christian reports he ordered a laser cut lens board for my Technair. This camera I think will get mucho use. I have a white Linhof side grip mounted. Also makes for a good weapon held in plain sight.

I also implemented a repair myself on a baby Linhof.

Cal

Felicitations to Gellings-Santibanez family. Everybody stay and take intimate portraits. Clothing optional.

Back