New York May NYC Meet-Up: New Uptown Location

Calzone

Gear Whore #1
Local time
8:50 AM
Damaso is in Europe so I will continue to organize this monthly meet-up. Last month we had the first annual Leica M-Body Beauty Pagent and laughed a lot. Door prises were given out, and we even had Darren from California as a guest.

This month's Meet-Up will be Uptown and closer to MOMA Sunday the 23rd of May. Lorelie's was great, but this time for a change of pace we will try and see the HCB show and then converge on David Copperfield's in the Upper East Side at 1394 York Ave (at 74th Street).

This beer garden ("House Of Beer") features a beer menu that accually changes daily, and today's selection (5 May 2010) amounts to and lists 89 differant beers from 12 differant countries. For May they are celebrating "Stouts." Their excuse: "What better than a warm time of year to come out with a brew that tastes great as it warms up." A sampler of all six featured Stouts can be had for $18.95, which is a better deal than the sampler of any five drafts for the same price. The samples are all served at once and are about 7 ounces each.

Like exotic beer? Ever had "Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron (USA)? Ever try Hair of Dog Atom? (USA); or Sixpoint Gorilla Warfare Porter?

Sound exclusive and elite? I say Leica owners/users are use to the best. Lorelie's was great, but let's take the NYC Meet-Up Uptown. Our excuse: the HBC show at MOMA. Let's not get too snobby or entitled, O.K.

Copperfield's opens at four on Sundays, so I say since we generally are now a small group (after almost outgrowing Lorelie's at the infamous January Meet-Up) a few of us go see the HCB show together and then eat and drink at David Copperfields. Food is great. I had the Fish and Chips, but this time I might have the Sheperd's Pie.

I was told by one of my friend's that "not many people know about this place," and "being off the beaten track is a good thing," he said. Huge crowds and tourists would ruin it.

Cal

Count me in. Maybe this time we should have a Leica M-Body Anti-Beauty Pageant.

So what time to meet for the HCB show before the Copperfield's RFF meetup? And for those going straight to Copperfield's‎, what time should that be?

I'm in for both.

And thanks for organizing this, Cal. ;)

I'm thinking the group that is going to see the show meet up at MOMA at 1:00. That gives 3 hours to reach HCB overload and get to David Copperfield's close to four. I'll be at MOMA earlier, aroumd 12:00, but at 1:00 PM EST we head for the entrance.

For those of you who do not know me, I generally stand out in a crowd. Look for a tall skinny Asian with a ponytail and an arrogant chin beard. One o'clock is Cinderella time and whoever is there with me, we head to go in. If you are late, you are on your own. I tend to be extreamely punctual and my watches are Rolex and Panerai, so don't be late. 1:00 PM is the decisive moment the 23rd of May 2010.

So: one for the show; and four for the beer and food.

I am one of those Asians who can't drink alcohol. My body does not produce emzymes to break it down, but this out of the way place is still a special place for all you beer worshipers. I love the taste and drink the non-alcoholic versions. Just wish I had 89 selections and could drink the Stout.

Cal

Haha, David Copperfields works for me... I live 5 blocks away. It does have a crazy beer menu. I'll go to MOMA again too.

a new ATMOSPHERE might be Fun...
HCB Exhibit Tres Cooool ...except I went during the weekday
and it was VERY Crowded
i can't Imagine how the weekend will be

I found lorelie's a tad Dreary..:p

oof... don't think I can fly out for this meetup.

I did get to check out HCB exhibit at the moma later that week. A good way to spend a few hours while it rained outside, followed up with loading some fast film and spending the rest of the time shooting.

good idea to do the HCB & MOMA on a weekday. the weekend crowds were so big that it took some of the pleasure out of walking the exhibit. it was jam-packed.
HCB Exhibit Tres Cooool ...except I went during the weekday
and it was VERY Crowded
i can't Imagine how the weekend will be

good idea to do the HCB & MOMA on a weekday. the weekend crowds were so big that it took some of the pleasure out of walking the exhibit. it was jam-packed.

Thanks for grounding me. My girlfriend makes fun of me because I can be really clueless. I'm really a very smart guy; but, boy I can do some bonehead things. Some of my friends think I'm crazy, but fun. Why do the love me, I ask.

Since I am creative and possibly have bad boudrys, I have a plan B.

I work at Sloan-Kettering (68th & York). Many people don't know that decorating a hallway of the hospital is a series of 19 or 20 large Berenice Abbott prints taken with a view camera (8x10???). The selection I believe is a small sampling of when she first came to New York. These photos are timeless, where she is trying to capture a changing New York. To me this is her best work, and I care less for the technical photography she did in the latter part of her career. Interestingly, this body of work currently reflects and mirrors the city today in a profound way. Classic and a display of great editing.

Let's see how cool I am. All the guards know me, and some are friends. I think I can get you/us in. My tactic and strategy will depend on how big a goup we get together. The key will be getting you visitors past security.

Interestingly, Damaso is documenting a changing Europe. I believe Damaso will be sorely missed. Because he lived in Germany a while he is a big beer hound. I am sure he would love David Copperfield's. World class beer drinking with the flavor of an English pub.

Cal

oof... don't think I can fly out for this meetup.

I did get to check out HCB exhibit at the moma later that week. A good way to spend a few hours while it rained outside, followed up with loading some fast film and spending the rest of the time shooting.

I'm sure shooting with that classic rig was a lot of fun (M3 and the most minty 50 collapsible Cron I ever saw).

Please post some shots on this thread if you can. In New York, I run into the same people again and again. Stay in touch, and I know you'll be back again.

Cal

Damn, I cant make it and my M4-P (with an M4-2 top plate) franken leica would've def. won this. :)

For people who don't know Andre: I quote, "The uglier the better." LOL

Check out his work on flicker. Because of Andre and the outa control January Meet-Up I bought a Rollieflex and 52 rolls of TXP 320 in 220 format.

Andre both made me crazy and inspired me. Now my girlfiend says, "Where is that Rolleiflex?" Harry Fleenor shipped it over a week ago and the USPS still hasn't delivered. Any day now.

Andre, are you going to make it to this Meet-Up? (Looking for revenge for one of the biggest GAS attacks I ever had.) Perhaps I will have my 3.5F "Whiteface" to show off.

Cal

About a gazillion years ago (the early 80's), I worked at a law firm, Breed Abbott & Morgan, where Bernice Abbott's brother had been a founding partner. In at least one of the conference rooms, the walls were decorated with original prints of Bernice's. The firm has long since gone through a series of mergers and I have no clue what might have happened to those prints. They were gorgeous and, given the setting, surprising well-lit and aptly hung. These were, no doubt, images from the same era as the ones at the hospital.

I think I've got commitments that will keep me from the May gathering, but I'm going to see if I sneak away, as this whole plan sounds like fun.

Thanks for grounding me. My girlfriend makes fun of me because I can be really clueless. I'm really a very smart guy; but, boy I can do some bonehead things. Some of my friends think I'm crazy, but fun. Why do the love me, I ask.

Since I am creative and possibly have bad boudrys, I have a plan B.

I work at Sloan-Kettering (68th & York). Many people don't know that decorating a hallway of the hospital is a series of 19 or 20 large Berenice Abbott prints taken with a view camera (8x10???). The selection I believe is a small sampling of when she first came to New York. These photos are timeless, where she is trying to capture a changing New York. To me this is her best work, and I care less for the technical photography she did in the latter part of her career. Interestingly, this body of work currently reflects and mirrors the city today in a profound way. Classic and a display of great editing.

Let's see how cool I am. All the guards know me, and some are friends. I think I can get you/us in. My tactic and strategy will depend on how big a goup we get together. The key will be getting you visitors past security.

Interestingly, Damaso is documenting a changing Europe. I believe Damaso will be sorely missed. Because he lived in Germany a while he is a big beer hound. I am sure he would love David Copperfield's. World class beer drinking with the flavor of an English pub.

Cal

Thanks Cal, and I hope you get your Rollei back soon! And please dont ever show it to me, LOL! I managed to pick up another beater Rollei (a Zeiss 2.8E) to go along with the MX-EVS I showed you at the meetup, so I definitely do not need to be tempted to find another! :D

I will be away that weekend but if I can manage to get back to NY early maybe I can swing by the meetup. I hope I can make it.

For people who don't know Andre: I quote, "The uglier the better." LOL

Check out his work on flicker. Because of Andre and the outa control January Meet-Up I bought a Rollieflex and 52 rolls of TXP 320 in 220 format.

Andre both made me crazy and inspired me. Now my girlfiend says, "Where is that Rolleiflex?" Harry Fleenor shipped it over a week ago and the USPS still hasn't delivered. Any day now.

Andre, are you going to make it to this Meet-Up? (Looking for revenge for one of the biggest GAS attacks I ever had.) Perhaps I will have my 3.5F "Whiteface" to show off.

Cal

Thanks Cal, and I hope you get your Rollei back soon! And please dont ever show it to me, LOL! I managed to pick up another beater Rollei (a Zeiss 2.8E) to go along with the MX-EVS I showed you at the meetup, so I definitely do not need to be tempted to find another! :D

I will be away that weekend but if I can manage to get back to NY early maybe I can swing by the meetup. I hope I can make it.

We need to go out and shoot. I have an "ugly" negative to show you. Because of subway constuction I've been killing rats in my backyard. Once killed two rats in one slap-trap. Killed a rabbit sized one and pulled out the 75 Lux and shot it like a macro lens. Did you know that rats have buck teeth? Boy that 75 Lux is a sharp lens. Made the mistake of telling my girlfriend about the shot and she had nightmares. The title of the image is "NYC Still Life." LOL.

Hope to see you soon.

Cal

Lorelie's had its own charm being so close to the Bowelry.

David Copperfield's is a great place that is under the radar.

Some of my co-workers are research chemists with Ph.D's. Both Radio Chemists and Synthetic Chemists that are part of a team that make, create and formulate pharmaceuticals agree: David Copperfield's has good beer.

The Upper East Side is a very different hood.

Hope to see you soon. At the January Meet-Up I did not get the chance to meet you. I love your work BTW.

Cal

About a gazillion years ago (the early 80's), I worked at a law firm, Breed Abbott & Morgan, where Bernice Abbott's brother had been a founding partner. In at least one of the conference rooms, the walls were decorated with original prints of Bernice's. The firm has long since gone through a series of mergers and I have no clue what might have happened to those prints. They were gorgeous and, given the setting, surprising well-lit and aptly hung. These were, no doubt, images from the same era as the ones at the hospital.

I think I've got commitments that will keep me from the May gathering, but I'm going to see if I sneak away, as this whole plan sounds like fun.

I agree: the work presented is probably from the same era. The hallway also displays the work well.

I hope you can make it. I say we should meet-up before 3:00 PM so we have an hour to view the 19 or 20 large prints.

BE THERE BEFORE 3:00 PM EST BECAUSE THAT'S WHEN WE HEAD FOR THE DOOR.

I figure that around 4:00 PM we'll head to David Copperfield's.

Of course I'll be there early, probably around 2:15. The address is 1275 York Ave. There is a major/huge awning just in case it rains BTW.

Cal

Id love to see that picture, for sure!

And yes, we need to go on a photo excursion at some point soon. I have had precious little time in the past couple months!

We need to go out and shoot. I have an "ugly" negative to show you. Because of subway constuction I've been killing rats in my backyard. Once killed two rats in one slap-trap. Killed a rabbit sized one and pulled out the 75 Lux and shot it like a macro lens. Did you know that rats have buck teeth? Boy that 75 Lux is a sharp lens. Made the mistake of telling my girlfriend about the shot and she had nightmares. The title of the image is "NYC Still Life." LOL.

Hope to see you soon.

Cal

Lorelie's had its own charm being so close to the Bowelry.

David Copperfield's is a great place that is under the radar.

Some of my co-workers are research chemists with Ph.D's. Both Radio Chemists and Synthetic Chemists that are part of a team that make, create and formulate pharmaceuticals agree: David Copperfield's has good beer.

The Upper East Side is a very different hood.

Hope to see you soon. At the January Meet-Up I did not get the chance to meet you. I love your work BTW.

Cal

I love the Bowery ...does have its Charm from the now hi end condos to the homeless shelters, restaurants, the once famed and now closed CBGB's, the restaurants ,art galleries....

I just did not care much for lorelie's
thats All...:)

I love the Bowery ...does have its Charm from the now hi end condos to the homeless shelters, restaurants, the once famed and now closed CBGB's, the restaurants ,art galleries....

I just did not care much for lorelie's
thats All...:)

I understand.

Cal

Back