New York May NYC Meet-Up: New Uptown Location

Perhaps for the June meeting we should think of an outdoor bar?

I'm game for differant venues. Madhattan is only three miles wide and twelve miles long, and I'm sure we can begin to move around this city more, but I'm not a drinker so I need your recomendations.

I was also thinking that we need to get out more and see more shows. If it were,'t for Damaso I wouldn't have known about W.Eugene Smith and "The Jazz Loft Project" at Lincohn Center. I say we could find an outdoor bar in Chelsea and some of us can gather and see some gallery shows before the beer and food. We all need to see more shows and get out more. BTW I keep on crossing paths with Scott.

UPDATE: Last Friday had to go to the main campus of Sloan-Kettering to attend the weekly boring meeting. I counted 24 prints by Berenice Abbott, not 19-20. I look forward to futher discussion about the display, as well as the arrangement and editing. These prints are part of an edition of 60.

Were are some of the other regulars...Barrett... Jeff... Carl?

Cal

I'm actually going to be in NYC next week... but I leave on the 22nd. too bad...

-j

Next time...

Manhattan Beach, CA... Just got my Rolleiflex back from Harry Fleenor who has his shop in Manhattan Beach. Say hi if you run into him for me.

Cal

Don't miss the David Goldblatt exhibition at the Jewish Museum or the Kenro Izu exhibition at the Rubin Museum.

Thanks for the referances. A big part of becoming a better shooter is a lot of looking. Trying to be more like Scott who is all over this town and who is into total imersion.

Cal

Next time...

Manhattan Beach, CA... Just got my Rolleiflex back from Harry Fleenor who has his shop in Manhattan Beach. Say hi if you run into him for me.

Cal

Harry Fleenor's little office is just a few blocks from my house, so all my Rollei repair needs are easily attended to. Not that I have any. I bought my SL66 from him, and so it was already in excellent working condition....

j

Harry Fleenor's little office is just a few blocks from my house, so all my Rollei repair needs are easily attended to. Not that I have any. I bought my SL66 from him, and so it was already in excellent working condition....

j

We live in a big country, but the world is not so big. See you soon at the next NYC Meet-Up, or perhaps somewhere else.

Like my crossing paths again and again with Scott it seems like I keep on running into the same people.

Cal

Interestingly, Damaso is documenting a changing Europe. I believe Damaso will be sorely missed. Because he lived in Germany a while he is a big beer hound. I am sure he would love David Copperfield's. World class beer drinking with the flavor of an English pub.

Cal

Why does all the fun stuff happen when I'm out of town? It sure sounds like a great meet up. Having been tot he HCB show on a Thursday it was pretty packed too. A sunday might be more so but I say take your chances and crowd in there. Going to see some lovely prints at Sloan Kettering is a pretty sweet plan b though.

I can't wait to read all about it!

Damaso

Put one of these in Midtown, within reasonable walking or a short bus or cab ride from Penn Station, and I'm sure you could attract a few of us from a couple hours away...

I'm sure shooting with that classic rig was a lot of fun (M3 and the most minty 50 collapsible Cron I ever saw).

Please post some shots on this thread if you can. In New York, I run into the same people again and again. Stay in touch, and I know you'll be back again.

Cal

Will do Cal, definitely a great time meeting everyone out there. I might be back there sooner than I thought.

Just two shots I have ready. The rest are sitting in the scanner "in" box along with a few months backlog.

Wow, a thyme is emerging. Some New Yorkers mistakenly think NYC is the center of the universe, but there may be a small amount of truth to that, and as a New Yorker I realize I am very lucky.

Jonas in a seperate thread asked about kids events for his five year old daughter and places to eat for his upcomming visit to NYC. Damaso happen to share his kinish store on Houston with me after the last Meet-Up, which I shared with Jonas.

Al: There is an rooftop outdoor deck of a resturant that overlooks Eighth Ave and Penn Station. Next time I'm in the hood I'll have to investigate further and get a menu. Just down the block is B&H. The Port Authority is also very close to ICP BTW.

Darren: Please let me/us know when you are coming back so we can try to schedule a Meet-Up you can attend again. Please stay in touch and post some more shots. No stress.

Damaso: When you get back I will make sure you see this work/display. An instructor at ICP stated, "Seventy percent of assembling a body of work is editing." At past Meet-Ups we have been talking about editing together and with others a lot. I say it is time to take it to the next level. I think you will find this work relavent to your own.

To all you lurkers out there. Outside of these posted Meet-Ups exists a support goup. I have been in corespondance with many who I have met at our Meet-Ups, we have been meeting to shoot, have plans to see some shows, and are planning shooting expeditions. Need someone to yell at you to shoot more and see shows: come to the next Meet-Up.

Although there are 8.2 million people who live in NYC, in this tread I am beginning to see that many of the same people I run into again and again like Scott. Hope to see you at the next Meet-Up

BTW; I found with all those issues of "Leica Fotographia Internacional" that were given away as door prizes and awarded to the winner of the First Annual Leica M-Body Beauty Pagent (Damaso's 0.85 M6 TTL with early TA Rapidwinder) a book of Berenice Abbott's work published by Aperature. A lot of sychonicity happening. What does it all mean?

Cal

This is a bump.

Next Meet-Up is Sunday the 23rd of May.

Meet at 1275 York Avenue (near 68th Street) before 3:00 PM EST to see the 24 large format Berenice Abbott prints. BE THERE BEFORE 3:00 PM EST BECAUSE THAT'S WHEN WE HEAD FOR THE DOOR. I'll probably be there at 2:15. Tere's a huge awning just in case it rains BTW.

I figure that around 4:00 PM we'll head to David Copperfield's (1394 York Avenue at 74th Street).

Cal

I was wrong about the Kenro Izu exhibition at the Rubin Museum. The event was a book launch of the photographer's 30 year retrospective, not an exhibition. I attended the lecture; Kenro Izu was eloquent about his work and his new book is superb. His work, however is on his website: www.kenroizu.com. -George

I was wrong about the Kenro Izu exhibition at the Rubin Museum. The event was a book launch of the photographer's 30 year retrospective, not an exhibition. I attended the lecture; Kenro Izu was eloquent about his work and his new book is superb. His work, however is on his website: www.kenroizu.com. -George

That's O.K. There is another interesting exibit there that I wouldn't have discovered if it were not for your sugestion.

There is a photo exhibition that documents the Himilayas around the turn of the millenium. The area remained unchanged more or less for centuries, but then developement suddenly happened when roads were built around the time of the Olympics in China.

Thanks again for your posts.

Cal

I'll be there, Cal. Thanks for putting this together.

Next Meet-Up is Sunday the 23rd of May.

Meet at 1275 York Avenue (near 68th Street) before 3:00 PM EST to see the 24 large format Berenice Abbott prints. BE THERE BEFORE 3:00 PM EST BECAUSE THAT'S WHEN WE HEAD FOR THE DOOR. I'll probably be there at 2:15. Tere's a huge awning just in case it rains BTW.

I figure that around 4:00 PM we'll head to David Copperfield's (1394 York Avenue at 74th Street).

Cal

I believe I'll make DC but not the hospital this time. You'll have to give me a private tour of the photos another time Cal. :)

Well, I'm still missing the nyc meetup by a day.

But i'm in NYC now, so if you see a Chinese guy wandering around with a black M9 slung bandolier style and an Army green messenger bag.... stop me and say hi.

We'll likely be hitting HCB@MoMA on Wed...

j

Back