Medium Format ... long may it live!

And one of my favorite shots from India, again Hasselblad with 50mm on Astia. Made from a car. I could not focus so I used hyperfocal setting. The mother on the back was actually holding a little baby:

Attachments

• achterop-de-motor.jpg
    achterop-de-motor.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 0
And one final one, Alpenglow, made with a Hasselblad and a 350mm lens on Velvia in Spain:

Attachments

• alpenglow.jpg
    alpenglow.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1
Some of my earlier ones from Weltur folder were the ones that got me more into MF than anything else:
219674028_cd91ee4e82.jpg

255951141_6638a1d6dd.jpg

255951142_8b89c3a000.jpg

and than there were TLRs, SLRs, like this one is from Kiev 88:
813367506_3e1896e3ae.jpg

I thought you had a Mamiya C330/220 ... ?????

Go on ... you know you need those big negatives! :p

I did you're right. And I loved it very much (a bit big but then that was largely based on me using the M2 virtually all the time) but I had a 70-200mm f/4L for my Canon EOS 3 which was great but hardly used so I had it up for sale. Then it got stolen :( But I still needed the money which the 70-200mm was going to raise so there was only one thing for it...

That said, I always intended to get back into medium format, but probably 6x4.5 or 6x7 format rather than square. That had a spanner thrown in the works this week when someone looked through my square format stuff (which I have no way of posting online as don't have a 120 or flatbed scanner) was great and I had the eye for it... Regardless, I do want to get back into MF.

I would also love to optically print my own colour at home too but I don't think that's realistic considering my darkroom is in fact my bathroom and rather cramped one at that.

Anyway I won't drone on, in the meantime I'm fiddling with Portra and other neutral emulsions (also E100G) and a 50mm lens on my M2 in the hope I can subdue my MF desires for a while longer. ;)

Here a few I shot for 1 camera/1 lens contest, and never submitted - was quite busy at work. I need to use that Bronica ETRSI more - very pleasing experience.

Attachments

• 08650012.jpg
    08650012.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 08650014.jpg
    08650014.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 08650015.jpg
    08650015.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1
Keith - photo you open with this thread is amazing

Thankyou Igor ... it was a photo I was destined to take from the moment I woke up yesterday. I knew the exact image I needed to make and I knew exactly where I had to go to make it. It involved three and a half hours driving and I was straight into the darkroom with the film the instant I got home ... some days it just seems to be that way!

This thread has turned into an absolute joy with sixty or so contributions in twelve hours and some of the most inspiring photographs I've seen for quite a while.

This can be one hell of a Forum sometimes! :):):)

I take the liberty to post some more:

Attachments

• rajasthan panorama2.jpg
    rajasthan panorama2.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 0
  • schaduw panorama.jpg
    schaduw panorama.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 0
  • yaks at gokyo lake webscan 1.jpg
    yaks at gokyo lake webscan 1.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 0
Sometimes 35mm is what is necessary or even perfect. But in terms of satisfaction, MF is way up there. From the happy accidents from the cheap 6x6 TLR:

3658334684_39a45cf8a4_o.jpg

To the super clarity and the goodness of 6x7 from *the* big RF, Mamiya Universal Press:

3636858042_d7bac15b2e_o.jpg

3636858220_5d5bfda0cf_o.jpg

This thread has turned into an absolute joy with sixty or so contributions in twelve hours and some of the most inspiring photographs I've seen for quite a while.

This can be one hell of a Forum sometimes! :):):)

Some of us here just have the knack to kick-start excellent threads. You are one of them, Keith.

It would be a remiss if I didn't also comment on your first picture. That's "Australia" if I ever have to point to an image to describe it.

Does anyone have examples with the 'cheap and cheerful' films like Lucky and Arista EDU?.

I gather the drawback with these may be scanning ... I've noticed the lesser films tend to be a bit curly!

My first posted shot was Arista.EDU Ultra. Here's another:

3506089333_a6b0365ae9_o.jpg

It does curl quite severely, but only lengthwise so my ANR insert holds it down effectively. Much better than widthwise curl, which tends to defeat glass inserts quite handily. I quite like the film, especially for the price.

Mmmmm.... Such lovely photos. I have been out of the film world for several months now. My new roommate wanted me to teach him some photography basics, so I took out my Epson RD-1 and showed him. I then showed him my MF work and both he and myself were stunned. I had not looked at my pics for a while and oh how I want to get back into MF again... And now this thread. Here are some photos that I have not yet posted from my Mamiya 7. BTW, if anyone wants to trade for my LF.... :) Images scanned by an Epson v750, no editing. Velvia 50 film, my new favorite now that Kodachrome is gone.

My little brother texting.... so sad.... The airplane in the sky was an accidental catch!:
3380089688_a7e1905ec6_b.jpg

I do totaly agree! Medium format is great! It is also a permanent danger over my Leica. At the moment, my IIIf and my Rolleiflex have a peacefull relationship, but a few months ago, I had the tentation to sell the rangefinder to buy the TLR (finally did not need it).

I am not worthy, Master.

I am not worthy, Master.

I won't let that stop me.

First, a tiny piece of a 6x6 negative, Mamiya TLR.

Car+3+Race-1.jpg

Heavily cropped 6x6 negative, Mamiya TLR.

Buildings-Abstract.jpg

I really miss that camera sometimes.

...the Pentax 6x7 will have to do.

So tell me about the Pentax 6x7 ... I was reading some stuff the other day that reckoned shutter shock even with the mirror locked up makes them a little unusable below 1/125 sec unless the camera is set in concrete if you want really sharp results. :p

I'm watching one on local eBay at the moment and was surprised when I read this whille googling for info last night!

Back