Medium Format ... long may it live!

Be patient Keith, keep your eyes open while you're saving and eating noodles, and you will find MF deals. I've seen Hasselblad CM kits sell for $500. I just got a Rollei TLR for $80. An f3.5 Rollei is the Leica II/III of MF cameras, and a Hasselblad is like a Leica M. IMO, these are the most elegant MF cameras.

Attachments

• Rolleiflex Tessar 005 (Medium).jpg
    Rolleiflex Tessar 005 (Medium).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Keith,

In a word: Rubbish. I have been using mine on a tripod a lot. At 1 to 1/15 sec. No worries. Handheld, I try to stay around 1/250. MAYBE, if I looked at negatives with a microscope, I might think differently. But I don't.

Wayne,

Not sure if a it is quite the same as a microscope, but I have been all over those pictures of yours as they were originally scanned - - I know that you can read the license plates of the cars parked across the street from the bar... there is no need to doubt or undersell the quality of the focus and the stability of that camera.

I agree with Wayne - - a lot of that talk is rubbish... probably being promulgated by people whose MF cameras have leaf shutters.

A fantastic thread Keith has started here. I have to agree “Long Live Medium Format” My photo contribution to it are all Double Exposures with a Mamiya 7II and Tri-X.

U25693I1241573240.SEQ.0.jpg

U25693I1241573242.SEQ.0.jpg

U25693I1241282390.SEQ.0.jpg

U25693I1241211678.SEQ.0.jpg

I'll add one of my favorite recent 6x6 images that is outside of my usual subject matter.

Attachments

• WMC-img_466 sm.jpg
    WMC-img_466 sm.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I've been shooting mostly MF for the past year.

Attachments

• NRI---018-w-copy-1.jpg
    NRI---018-w-copy-1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 0
  • AB-landscape-011.jpg
    AB-landscape-011.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 0
Thanks!

Thanks!

Wayne,

Not sure if a it is quite the same as a microscope, but I have been all over those pictures of yours as they were originally scanned - - I know that you can read the license plates of the cars parked across the street from the bar... there is no need to doubt or undersell the quality of the focus and the stability of that camera.

I agree with Wayne - - a lot of that talk is rubbish... probably being promulgated by people whose MF cameras have leaf shutters.

Thanks Westley. One never knows what to believe on the internet. Independent verification is always good.

Thanks Westley. One never knows what to believe on the internet. Independent verification is always good.
have not read all of this thread, as it's time a poor old soul like me was heading for dreamland ( under the sheets, not on the internet! )...but Wayne - when are you going to thrill me with some of those 4x5 shots? :)
Dave

I won't promise.

I won't promise.

have not read all of this thread, as it's time a poor old soul like me was heading for dreamland ( under the sheets, not on the internet! )...but Wayne - when are you going to thrill me with some of those 4x5 shots? :)
Dave

I don't know if you will be thrilled, but here are links to some of my 4x5 photos.

Enchanted Rock

Zedler's Mills

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/venchka/backyard/Mushroom+1.jpg.html

Thanks for asking.

Be patient Keith, keep your eyes open while you're saving and eating noodles, and you will find MF deals. I've seen Hasselblad CM kits sell for $500. I just got a Rollei TLR for $80. An f3.5 Rollei is the Leica II/III of MF cameras, and a Hasselblad is like a Leica M. IMO, these are the most elegant MF cameras.
Hi Frank ... I was hoping you'd make an appearance in this thread. After all my first real (as in not Russian :angel:) MF camera came from you quite a while ago when I swapped my M5 for the Bronica RF645 I now use and love! I notice the M5 has moved on to a couple of subsequent owners but the Bronica has stuck with me and continues to gain my respect and admiration with each roll of film I put through it. It's the camera that effectively opened up a different world for me and I would have to recommend the RF645 as a stepping stone into MF for anyone who's bored with puny 35mm negs! :D

I was making a list of all my gear last night and thinking very hard about what can possibly be flogged off to get into a Hasselblad system ... there's a couple of seldom used high value 35mm rangefinders that are on very shaky ground!

Last edited:
Great thread with lots of fantastic reasons to shoot medium format!

It looks like you made it to your farm by dawn Keith; must have been an early start! It looks like it was well and truly worth it judging by the great shots.

I've never used a Pentax 67, but there's certainly a lot of rubbish written about handholding mf cameras. I only put mine on a tripod when exposures are getting really slow.

Shiro Kuro, I really enjoyed your shots - they're just wonderful!

Hi Jay, thanks for the compliment. I agree with the others that the portraits you posted are pure joy. I think shallow DOF plus the detail of medium format creates a nice puzzle for the eye.

I'm in New Zealand right now getting ready to shoot portraits of a local rugby team. I'll be sure to post some here when they are ready. (which won't be until I return to the states in August).

yashicamat, mamiya c330, kowa super 66, mamiya rb67,mamiya c220, mamiya rz67, mamiya c220 again (with 65yummy)
then digital....................
some MF pinhole cameras got me back into MF
yashica 24, some folders, iskra (kind of working now, got a film in it!!!)
just resealed my new rb67 and ready to go with that

I might get pounced on for this, but 35mm, why bother at all? thats what digital is for. (YMMV, thats how it is for me) Actually I am going to try some 35mm 400 nc soon for a couple portrait session for that grainy look.

But yeah, film for me = medium or large format, but MF wins mostly because it has the convenience of 35 and better quality than what I currently get from digital.

Nice photos everyone!
here is one of the ones (scanned on v700 from rz67) that convinced me to search for another rb67 recently
oh stuff it its not working

I'm coming to the conclusion, Goldilocks style, that medium format is where I need to be. I love my old folders, but I am really wanting a Mamiya 7.
Only problem is parting with some of my less used gear to get it.

Anyway...here are a couple from my Balda Baldax, a camera I will not be parted from.

3417231974_45d4e342d3_o.jpg

3395704959_2d7a39714a_o.jpg

One of the things about the modern(ish) MF rangefinders is their ease of use IMO! Aside from a little extra weight my Bronica is no less user friendly for a day out shooting than any 35mm camera I own ... I would imagine a Mamiya 7 would be much the same deal!

love this thread. id share my pics but so far i dont have a scanner for it. I mostly shoot PANF, astia 100F and ektachrome EPP. i have a few rolls of Ektar im egar to try.

Hi Jay, thanks for the compliment. I agree with the others that the portraits you posted are pure joy. I think shallow DOF plus the detail of medium format creates a nice puzzle for the eye.

I'm in New Zealand right now getting ready to shoot portraits of a local rugby team. I'll be sure to post some here when they are ready. (which won't be until I return to the states in August).

You are welcome. I agree with you about the shallow depth of field. The depth of field control available with MF helps me photograph how my mind's eye sees...

Rugby! I used to play rugby in college on into my thirties. The parties were outrageous and almost fun as playing. I hope that part has not changed! Have fun at the beer slides!

Back