Medium Format ... long may it live!

Chris, excellent photograph. When I try to take night photos of lighted buildings with my Pentax 645 or Mamiya 7, I often seem to over-expose. Your lighting is captured spot on. How did you meter this scene?

Regards,

Kent

Chris, excellent photograph. When I try to take night photos of lighted buildings with my Pentax 645 or Mamiya 7, I often seem to over-expose. Your lighting is captured spot on. How did you meter this scene?

Regards,

Kent

For that shot I just set the Pentax 67II in Aperture Priority mode and let the great matrix meter built into the camera set the shutter speed.

With other cameras I use my Pentax spotmeter and then pick an exposure that keeps the areas I am interested in range. That is what I did with this Hasselblad shot.

53720010xxl.jpg

©2012 Chris Grossman

Shot with the Yashica 124 on really expired APX100:
SGB, medium format by Ronald_H, on Flickr

Brilliant! I love the composition and the old-time feel. Shame about the numbers burned through to the film from the backing-paper, such as to the left of the loc's lower lantern. Does that burn-through happen by itself, even in the dark, if a film sits unused for too many years (I see you said this one was expired), or was this film stored outside its foil wrapper for some of that time? (I'm assuming it should not have happened in the camera, as the Yashica Mat 124 hasn't got a red window.)
--Dave

Brilliant! I love the composition and the old-time feel. Shame about the numbers burned through to the film from the backing-paper, such as to the left of the loc's lower lantern. Does that burn-through happen by itself, even in the dark, if a film sits unused for too many years (I see you said this one was expired), or was this film stored outside its foil wrapper for some of that time? (I'm assuming it should not have happened in the camera, as the Yashica Mat 124 hasn't got a red window.)
--Dave

The APX100 I used had an expiry date of Jan-2001 and was shot and developed in the spring of 2011. It has been in its original box and packaging until I put it in the camera. It appears to be common, print on the backing paper visible in expired 120. In truth it is fairly easy to Photoshop the number out, but I left it in on purpose.

Bought my second GA645, a couple of years after selling the first one. Really glad to have it back, there's something wonderful about the way the lens draws. One from the first roll of Neopan 400:

U6887I1352761237.SEQ.0.jpg

Ventura Harbor, California

Ventura Harbor, California

Fuji GS645S, Niko L39 UV filter, Ektar 100, NCPS process and scan

Gill Net Bouys

Squid Boats

Ventura Harbor

Day Star

Fishing Net Bouys

John Start

©2012 Chris Grossman

Someone has named their fishing boat the "ooJpi" because they've figured out that's what the "Igloo" cooler brand logo spells when mirrored?! Bizarre, but I'll award originality points! (I was going to whinge that Igloo's Peignot typeface logo looks very dated, but visiting their website, it seems that the logo has been slightly streamlined recently.)

--Dave

Fuji GS645S, Niko L39 UV filter, Ektar 100, NCPS process and scan

Ventura Harbor

©2012 Chris Grossman

Back