Michael Reichman has a Fuji X Pro1 Review

If FUji didn't include Focus Confirmation for manual mode on the X100, why/how would they do so for M lenses on the XPro1, where the process would be undeniably much more difficult?

'Focus confirmation' for manual mode is via EVF, using focus assist (magnification.) This is the same system on all mirrorless cameras and how it will work on the X-Pro1 with adapted lenses.

After having used the camera, I would not bother adapting lenses that are equivalent to the Fuji primes. The Fuji glass is unbeatable at any price and has AF.

He calls it a "rangefinder", which it is not.

Exactly. I really don't get it, people like him and others should know better, yet this yarn is repeated over and over again.

If anything the X-1 pro is like the old Contax G series.

Which also wasn't a rangefinder.

whatever.

Very funny Chris .... but I'm fast learning not to trust anything I see on the internet! LOL :D

I've never seen a cat bark in real life, but when I lived in New Mexico the girl I dated out there had a cat who said No to us once. He was a male 4 yr old cat who was not neutered. He needed to be, because he kept spraying the neighbor's house and pregnant female cats started hanging around my friend's back yard!

So, she didn't want to neuter him cause she felt sorry for him losing his...parts. She used the excuse that she couldn't afford it (she had a good job and wasted tons of money on other stuff, she could afford it). We were in her back yard talking about it, and I picked up her big rusty pair of hedge clippers and told her we could save money and do it with them!

The cat is sitting on the patio nearby. He looks at us and says NOOOO! Yeah, he said No! then he ran away into the neighbor's yard!

After having used the camera, I would not bother adapting lenses that are equivalent to the Fuji primes. The Fuji glass is unbeatable at any price and has AF.

I conclude it doesn't matter how many times we repeat this line, there will still be a gregarious crowd who insist on judging a camera based on this one sole point, for which it is not even specified.

願者上鉤

I saw in in a store today in Auckland and played around with it for about 15 minutes. It was incredible. Much nicer that the NEX-7 I have.

I haven't had a chance to look at the shots I took in the store with the X-Pro 1, but the images the store had taken that morning and had displayed on an iMac looked amazing.

I look forward to seeing what lenses Fuji comes out with. I hear there is a 70-200 f4 on the horizon. That lens, plus a few M-Mount lenses, would be an amazing and small kit for travel.

BTW, the lens they had at the store was the 35mm f/1.4, and it was lovely.

Why nopt call this type of cameras....compacts, maybe? Right, they aren't DSLR's, they aren't P&S's. If anyone wants they can classify compacts into subclasses like m4/3, NEX etc. For me compact isn't wrong type of camera, it's just what it is, like rangefinder is camera with certain means to compose and focus. No one has said compacts can not be used to take shots people used rangefinders for.

This reminds me some hatchback owners calling their car a coupe. Car missing trunk isn't automatically a coupe, let alone fact many coupes actually have trunk. Sometimes words start to live their own life to please someones expectations.

And yes, Fuji seems to be a company able to produce good cameras.

Vvf

Vvf

Why nopt call this type of cameras....compacts, maybe? Right, they aren't DSLR's, they aren't P&S's. If anyone wants they can classify compacts into subclasses like m4/3, NEX etc. For me compact isn't wrong type of camera, it's just what it is, like rangefinder is camera with certain means to compose and focus. No one has said compacts can not be used to take shots people used rangefinders for.

And yes, Fuji seems to be a company able to produce good cameras.

I guess one of the problems would be that "compact" is a relative word on a slippery sliding scale. Even a DSLR could be a compact compared to some other formats.

The accepted term seems to be "mirrorless" camera, but the problem with this term is that it is entirely negative. It just says what the camera is NOT, not what it is. View has been an important criteria for definition: SLR and TLR are defined by their viewing capabilities. Focus is what defines "Rangefinder".

The Fuji XP1 presents a unique combination of View and Focus, but it's really the View (OVF/EVF) that is unique to the Fuji cameras. I propose calling it a HVF = "hybrid viewfinder" camera.

The term "rangefinder" is unfortunately being altered by manufacturers in collusion with the photo press, to mean something between "attractive camera" and "retro styling." Even more unfortunately, there's not much we can do.

Yeah, that's, like, the worst thing evar.

With people still arguing over whether cameras with rangefinders (Contax G) are rangefinder cameras, I doubt there will ever be an agreed term for the Fuji. Hence I propose to call them cameras.

I conclude it doesn't matter how many times we repeat this line, there will still be a gregarious crowd who insist on judging a camera based on this one sole point, for which it is not even specified.

願者上鉤

They're not even expensive, the fuji lenses. The 23mm fujinon f2 on my x100 is a better lens than ANY of the currently available slr 35mm f2's by far. Probably better than most of the m-mount 35mms as well.

.... I doubt there will ever be an agreed term for the Fuji.....

Errr ..... It's a View-finder camera. Albeit with auto-focus etc. It's no more a Rangefinder camera than my Linhof 6x9 View camera was.

.... you'd think on a pretty big, commercial website, someone would know how to spell the word "discreet".

.....Discrete. Discreet. Both spellings correct, depending on use intended. I'm feeling too lazy to go back and figure out Nick Devlin's article's context. I'm surprised no one commented on the portrait he illustrated the article with. I thought it looked very encouraging. But hey; I had a Fuji 6x9 whose lens was fabulous, so I expect the sensor/lens combination to be very good.

.......... Chris

The term "rangefinder" is unfortunately being altered by manufacturers in collusion with the photo press, to mean something between "attractive camera" and "retro styling." Even more unfortunately, there's not much we can do.

I'm willing to bet that the term 'rangefinder' isn't even used in the X1 pro manual...

On the internet everyone is an expert.

Errr ..... It's a View-finder camera. Albeit with auto-focus etc. It's no more a Rangefinder camera than my Linhof 6x9 View camera was.

I'm surprised no one commented on the portrait he illustrated the article with. I thought it looked very encouraging. But hey; I had a Fuji 6x9 whose lens was fabulous, so I expect the sensor/lens combination to be very good.

.......... Chris

A camera has a rangefinder or it doesn't and the Contax G cameras have a rangefinder. Did your Linhof have a rangefinder?

The portrait looks good except for the hot patch of blown highlights. Not that it matters that highlights are blown, but it looks a bit weird to me when the join is through the face.

Back