minox 35

rolleistef

Well-known
Local time
10:01 PM
Hi,
The Minox 35 is said to be a fantastic camera, but also that its electro-magnet shutter is quite troublesome. Could you please post your opinion on the smallest 35 camera ever?
Thanks a lot.

Hello, I guess you mean fantastic, and not "frantic" ;)

Well, over the years I've owned 5 of these cameras, they are more or less minor variations on a theme, and 2 have survived - two Minox 35MLs. These are also (just about) the only Minox's, save for the most recent couple of models (which are very expensive new) that take easily available batteries.

The other three all died a sudden death from the "non-opening shutter problem" that is common with these cameras (something with the shutter electromagnets - some people claim they are easy to clean and fix, but I tried opening up one of my dead cameras and quickly lost some tiny pieces that even if i found would be difficult for me to put back correctly...)

The 35mm lens on all the Minox 35 cameras I've owned has been just about as sharp as anything else I've used (Leica glass included). The meters have always been reliable, BUT THE MINOX 35s ARE NOT SUITABLE TO USE WITH FAST FILM UNDER DIM LIGHTING CONDITIONS - with 1000 ASA film, the shutter will not stay open for longer than about 1/15th of a second no matter how dark it gets. With slower film, the shutter will stay open for longer times under dim conditions.

I usually use my Minox 35ML with Tri-X at 320 under more or less normal daylight conditions.

The cameras are capable of taking great photos, but unfortunately, due to their reliability problems, I wouldn't trust one as my sole camera on an important trip - so if I now have to carry two, why not just use my Leica M4-P already? So, yes, I don't use mine very often anymore, since I have several other great cameras that are more study and realiable and that I can use day or night (or that have manual controls). But none of those cameras are as small and light as the 35ML.

Anyway, you can get these Minoxs pretty cheaply now, so i would just find a "live one" and give it a try. Focusing is by estimation, so make sure you can live with that before buying. I find the 35ML great for discreet shooting as you can focus without bringing the camera to your eye, AND IT IS MUCH QUIETER THAN ANY LEICA.

Good luck and enjoy it if you try it.

Last edited:
I love mine (35GT) which I bought new (late 70's or very early 80's, can't quite remember). Only recently did I have to replace the battery and Minox sell an insert for the battery slot to be able to use modern batteries. I carry this camera with me most of the time as it's barely noticeable. The lens is indeed excellent. The only problem I have is that I can no longer read the ASA/DIN markings on the film speed selector as the writing has rubbed off.

Recently, Minox did announce they would stop making these cameras after making 2 million. Pity. Click here for the news story in Amateur Photographer.

These cameras are great fun to use and have a terrific lens.
Small and light, they can be carried anywhere in a pocket.

I wonder how many shutters are done in by pocket lint?
Maybe a well-fitted soft case would increase longevity...

Chris

Over the course of years, I've had three. Two GTE's and an MB. Each of them failed in a different way out of warranty (ggrrr!!) .. but all shared a common trait: shutter appears to fire, but you still get a blank roll every once in a while (actually much too often).. In the end I gave up. They're big fun if they work, pocketable, compact, silent.. But I simply missed too much photos because of their independable character.

I agree with previous posters: reliability problems, yes, but great optics in a very small package. Have used several GT's and now have a GT-E. Tried for a while the Olympus XA as an alternative, but didn't like the ergonomics, compared to the Minox.

Get one!

I have a 35GT, and can only confirm that its a great little camera. I always take it with me when travelling. I think with this camera I have shot the most keepers. I dont know why. Its so amazingly quiet, that when you are sitting with some friends, nobody really notices that you are taking pictures. as far as the battery compatibility, you can get a converter from minox and just use readily available batteries.

I've had a Minox 35GT for about 20 years (is it really that long?!?) and it's a lovely camera if you use it within its limitations. There's no doubting the lens is very sharp although it does have a messy flare pattern if you include the sun or a bright light source in a picture. I've always assumed that's caused in part by the strange aperture shape. The exposure with mine is a bit hit and miss for transparency film (Amateur Photographer found this with a test on a 35GTE a few years ago), so the 2x exposure compensation is very useful as it does err on the side of underexposure in obvious situations. With C41 or B&W film, it's fine.

An interesting twist is that I bought one of the "guaranteed not to work" Kiev 35a Minox copies a couple of months ago for about £20 and although I've only used colour print film so far, I've been amazed by it. The lens is as sharp as the Minox and a lot more resistant to flare than the Minotar on my 35GT. The exposure is also OK and the frame spacing is fine, provided that you don't squeeze the back as you wind on! (The instructions warn you about this.) No obvious light leaks either although it's clearly not as well made as the Minox.

It was Andy Warhol's favorite camera

It was Andy Warhol's favorite camera

The Minox 35 EL (supposedly), and I've got one (though not his). When it works, it takes incredibly sharp photos, but I've had it serviced twice in the last three years for the dreaded non-working magnetic-shutter problem.:bang: At least it doesn't take up too much storage space. I suppose my style of working has also become "rougher," and that also doesn't do much for the longevity of a light weight plastic-bodied camera like the EL...

I've never had a problem with my GT for over 15 years now. It has always been my pocket camera when traveling. I do own an EL or PL that does not work. I have it for spare parts.

Raid

Last edited:
The Kiev 35A Clone

The Kiev 35A Clone

I don't have the Minox, but I've two (plus one in a thousand pieces) of its clone, the Kiev-35A. This camera seems to have inherited all the Minox 35 characteristics, both good and bad, and more.

The pluses first: The Kiev 35-A's 35mm Korsar lens is also one of the sharpest I've ever seen on a plastic compact 35. Despite its being a front-cell focuser, it does really excellent, contrasty, and snappy captures. The colours it makes are also wondrous. It doesn't make any significant vignetting, nor does it make fuzzy resolution on the edges, unlike the 35mm lens found on the other Russian compact, the LOMO LKA.

The camera is really compact and light. It fits easily in the pocket. I've shot with it this past few days, and many people who've seen it hardly believe that the camera shoots full-frame.

And it's also cheap, at least when it was available. I got mine for about US$20 a piece.

Now for the minuses: The camera is very temperamental. It's prone to the same defects as the original it was patterned after. I got the two good cameras after going through 5 specimens. One was not working, straight out of its sealed box, despite the certificates of 'worthiness' pasted on it package.

One of those which worked turned out to have translucent shutter blades- yes! - the blades were made of non-opaque plastic material! How this could happen puzzles me. The workers at the factory could have checked the material first before installing it in the cameras. Apparently no one realised that shutters had to be light proof! :eek:

The plastic used in the bodies were quite flexible. The back door can flex if held the 'wrong' way, and can foul up film advancing. Flexing the back also opened the seams and let light breach into the film. Generally, the cameras tend to leak light unless some gaskets were fit into the door grooves.

Paraphrasing Forest Gump, getting a (boxed) Kiev 35A is like getting a box of chocolates. You'll never know what you'll get. I thought that Kiev-35A were inferior copies of the Minox 35, until I got to hold the 'real' ones.

The Minox originals did not turn out to be better built. Their bodies were also flexible. And the ones I found had dead shutters. The film advance ratchet did not operate any more smoother than those on the Kiev 35A.

I love my Kiev 35A. The two good ones I got are definitely keepers. What they do vastly overshadow any defect they may present. They have no equal- it's the best plastic 35mm compact I've ever used. I don't know of any other plastic compact which gives manual focusing and aperture priority AE. The lens alone is worth it :)

Jay

Thinning the herd...

Thinning the herd...

Well, I need to make some more room, and I hope there is someone out there who can use this camera more than I have lately. As mentioned below, its shutter is sometimes iffy, but when it works, it works very well indeed. And did I mention it's FREE to a good home, as long as the recipient pays for shipping. If you're interested, please send me a P.M.

l.mar said:
The Minox 35 EL (supposedly), and I've got one (though not his). When it works, it takes incredibly sharp photos, but I've had it serviced twice in the last three years for the dreaded non-working magnetic-shutter problem.:bang: At least it doesn't take up too much storage space. I suppose my style of working has also become "rougher," and that also doesn't do much for the longevity of a light weight plastic-bodied camera like the EL...

Attachments

• minox35el2.JPG
    minox35el2.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 0
  • minox35el_yellow_iris.JPG
    minox35el_yellow_iris.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 0
Mark Wood said:
An interesting twist is that I bought one of the "guaranteed not to work" Kiev 35a Minox copies a couple of months ago for about £20 and although I've only used colour print film so far, I've been amazed by it. The lens is as sharp as the Minox and a lot more resistant to flare than the Minotar on my 35GT. The exposure is also OK and the frame spacing is fine, provided that you don't squeeze the back as you wind on! (The instructions warn you about this.) No obvious light leaks either although it's clearly not as well made as the Minox.
Found a new Kiev 35a on EBAY for $45. Hmmmm, sounds like a fun risk.

Where can you get a Minox served? Not everybody works on these little cameras.

Raid

Minox 35 Has a New Home

Minox 35 Has a New Home

The Minox has found a good new home with a fellow RFF'er. Thanks for all the interest!

l.mar said:
Well, I need to make some more room, and I hope there is someone out there who can use this camera more than I have lately. As mentioned below, its shutter is sometimes iffy, but when it works, it works very well indeed. And did I mention it's FREE to a good home, as long as the recipient pays for shipping. If you're interested, please send me a P.M.

Never thought about putting "Minnie" on a tripod for long exposure shots. This one was shot wide open at whatever shutter speed it liked. Mine is pretty "beat up" after falling numerous times from my shirt pocket to the floor and once when it was open. :eek: The cover cracked and now I have to open it very carefully. :eek: The battery is a bit touchy, it needs to be fresh or it will "act up", probably something dirty inside. (never trust the battery test). One thing that needs to be done frequently is operate the controls vigorously (aperture ring and ISO dial). I think this tends to wipe the dust off the contact surfaces. (my theory):D

Church-150k.jpg

Regards.

Last edited:
Minx 35

Minx 35

Absolutely great little cameras - when they work properly! Actually, I've owned a couple of 35GT's, a GT-E and currently have a GL.

Some of the best photos I have ever taken are with these cameras. The color reproduction is outstanding and that lens is quite sharp. They make great travel cameras, especially for shooting scenics, where you just set the focus distance on the lens to infinity and forget it.

I have resurrected at least two supposedly dead Minox in the past, just by removing the top cover and blowing the dust out of the shutter striker plate.
The gap there is so small that the slightest bit of dust, dirt, etc. will prevent the shutter from firing and lead one to believe that the camera is dead.

Perhaps the biggest problem with the Minox 35's is that they are so quiet, I find myself taking close-up photos of my own face just to see if the shutter is firing!

Hi to all. I owned a Minox 35 GT (that i presented to my little brother) and now i own a Minox 35 GT-E. I love very mutch this litlle and beautyful camera, with tremendous sharp lens. The major weak point is the leaf shutter and my GT-E was repaired, the last year. Now, is newly in nice condition and work perfectly.
Unfortunately, the Minox Germany decided to discontinue the Minox 35 series. I'm very sad.
Ciao.
Vincenzo

Back