minox 35

The only problem I had with mine was the tiny figures on the scales on the lens, with older age these become increasingly difficult to read.
I still own another "clone" of the Minox, a Ricoh FF. Very sharp tessar type lens, plastic top plate but METAL body, and it has been very reliable. takes two easy to get silver batteries in the base. I believe there is a later version than mine with a self timer.
A further clone is the Balda/Voigtlander one.

Attachments

• ricoh-ff1.jpg
    ricoh-ff1.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 0
No problems with my ML

No problems with my ML

I guess I've been lucky, because the Minox ML just keeps going, and going ...

So quiet, I have to check the shutter cock indicator to see if it actually fired.

The Rollei 35's are built like tanks. Classic manual camera. Shirt pocket size, great lens (although I'd put the Minox lens up against it), and I'd get one but I am a minox fan from my youth. The minox 35's are plastic (yet durable), and the ML is the one to get if you want manual control over exposure. The Rollei lens has to be pulled out to shoot; the minox door opens with a button. I'm always careful with that door, but nothing bad has ever happened.

the Rollei looks like a camera when shooting. Somehow, folks don't quite make the connection when I'm shooting with the Minox ML. Maybe it's the door.

MINOX GT-E and GT-E II (2)

MINOX GT-E and GT-E II (2)

Ciao,
my first camera ever, was a MINOX GT-E...(back in 1989) great camera, always with me!!! Then I've discovered the Contax G and T systems... and stopped using it.
Few years ago I've purchased a digital nikon p&s , but then... after one year and +1700 digital shots, I went back to the fantastic GT-E and still working fine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/womby68/1878481718/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/womby68/1794805062/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/womby68/1781350545/

Fast handling, great glass, find something more silent, no-zero-shutter lag...
In fact I've just purchased a new MINOX GT-E II... with today's price, IT IS A STEAL!!!!
Have Fun...
Womby

ChrisPlatt said:
Is there a repairer in USA that specializes in Minox 35s,
yet doesn't charge a fortune?

Chris

The aperture ring on my Minox 35ML got stuck in the middle.
DAG repaired it for $35. Repair + CLA would have cost $85.

Chris

Thanks for posting that, Chris. I haven't had any problems with my Minox 35ML but it's nice to know that DAG works on them should I ever have the need.

-Randy

4x 386 batteries fit in the sleeve of the PX27s
Or you can put 2x 1/3Ns
It worked on my 35GT

lubitel said:
I have a 35GT, and can only confirm that its a great little camera. I always take it with me when travelling. I think with this camera I have shot the most keepers. I dont know why. Its so amazingly quiet, that when you are sitting with some friends, nobody really notices that you are taking pictures. as far as the battery compatibility, you can get a converter from minox and just use readily available batteries.

My dad gave me his Minox 35 GT a year ago or so when he went all digital, and I just developed a roll of Kodachrome using it. Wow. It really is an amazing lens, very sharp and contrasty, and unlike the XA there is no noticeable light falloff around the corners (which is what killed the XA for me). However, several of my shots were completely dark, so I'm thinking mine is beginning to develop this electromagnet shutter problem others speak of. Doesn't bother me, this lens is so nice it's worth fixing and keeping, especially for the price.

My GT has been fantastic. It's my #1 favourite full frame 35mm. Mine has outlived an XA and a Ricoh FF1 (both with circuit board failures), and the Minox lens was better than both of them. You should be able to get a 1 second exposure with ISO 800 film. I get much longer exposures with 100 or 200 ISO film.

I've had a 35 ML since it first came out and it's still ticking. I typically carry it in the small size Zing bag, that fits it like a glove.
BTW, it takes the 32mm slip-on filters that so many of my other cameras take.

FWIW - the Rollei in your shirt pocket
is going to give you a sagging chest. ;)

That is one solid, heavy little sucker.

Last edited:
MINOX GT-S - Low light?

MINOX GT-S - Low light?

Does anyone have one of these? Understand it is the 'latest' model. Interested if it does well under low light - given it can take 1600 iso film. I am also interested in the Fujilfilm Natura and the older Fujifilm DL Super Mini - both zooms. Any experience of these 2? Thanks.

I had a minox GT (now returned to me after 15 years -and now the shutter is playing up). However, I then used the Fujifilm DL Mini (fixed 28mm lens). Compact , good build, lens OK -but I expeted better. Main gripe was the shutter delay. press shutter, lens focuses (seems like 0.5-1 sec) then takes photo. I missed a few good shots due to shutter lag. Minox shutter very quick response. I'm glad the minox is back.

I use a GT-E, ML and GL.

All have been refurbished by DAG. It makes no sense to buy a $9.50 GL and have it fail.

These all function very well. No failures. The cost of a go-over by DAG was well worth the reliability. After all, the sharpness of the MINOX lens is well known. Making sure it is working is the goal. Some models are going on 30 years old. If in good shape, all can work like new. The primary differences are the styling and the program mode of the ML.

Go for it and you'll enjoy the Minox. Tremendous pocket camera. If you don't have a camera with you, there'll be no pics.

S

I had a 35 GL and now have a GT-E which I carry with me every day (in its belt pocket).
Wonderful camera, better than my GL which I also loved.

@MikeAUS: the GT-E goes up to ISO 1600 and it's OK for low-light shots.

Now a couple of pictures taken here in Rome two weeks ago (self-developed Fujifilm Superia 200)

gianicolo2minoxsuperia2.jpg
gianicolo1minoxsuperia2.jpg

i found a minox GL yesterday at a fleamarket. instant love, because its incredible small, almost so small like a canon ixus II APS camera.

Back