Miscellany of Beginner's Blunders

Switching to color from b&w, and realizing the reg/green/orange filter is still on the lens...after rewinding the exposed roll.

I've also left the lens cap on cameras without meeters, and shot entire sceens without film loaded/loaded so it's actually winding...

The good news is it happens less and less frequently.

Few times I've forgot to change the shutter speed when going into a darker/lighter area. But thats all thats happened in 6 months of using rangefinders.

ND filter

ND filter

I remember the time I forgot to change the film speed on my Hexar AF after I placed an ND8 filter on it. All the photos I took of my special someone turned out...kinda dark. :bang:

Lesson learned.

Well, it's classic - I was part way into a wedding with my Mamiya Press and discovered the dark slide was still in. Fortunately I could re-shoot the preliminaries (bride dressing, etc.) but the first shots would have been better. "If I only could develop my dark slide!" :bang:

Jocko said:
Heaven, perhaps? ;)

With me, in no particular order, it's the lens cap thing, the uncoupled rangefinder thing, the film not winding on thing and my personal speciality - an unconquerable belief that any camera purchased on e-bay functions perfectly and should be immediately used for unrepeatable pictures....

Cheers, Ian
Yes,Yes,this is my life!!!!!! Ian,once again you've done it........Robin

Robin

A changing bag or hand over the complete camera to mini lab person, should have gotten them back.

Ive done Ian's straight out of the post package a 36 casssette and then the discovery that the rewind lever did nothing at all, darkroom time...

Noel

Wonderful thread!
Oh how it hurts reading about errors you thought you had repressed.. In addition to most of the rf-related errors here with the notable exception of lenscap portraits (I don't dare using those), I've arrived at a concert with Pan-F loaded (1/5sec makes for a lot of nice motion blur, hehe) and more notably - transferred all (read: ALL) of my scanned images onto a new external harddrive before dropping it on the floor the next day.. I'm not going to have any trouble filling my spare time the next couple of years.. :bang:

Kind regards
Kjetil

bsdunek said:
Well, it's classic - I was part way into a wedding with my Mamiya Press and discovered the dark slide was still in. Fortunately I could re-shoot the preliminaries (bride dressing, etc.) but the first shots would have been better. "If I only could develop my dark slide!" :bang:

Did that a couple of times too, and after being so careful to pull the cap off the lens. :confused: :mad:

I have too many cameras, and manage to forget one small detail with each reintroduction. Snafus from the last few years: (1) Opening Contax T3 to load film, and finding a half-shot roll. Anti-halation layer limited the damage to four frames. (2) Finger blocking the Summicron-M 35. (3) Counting 3EV in the wrong direction while setting M4 shutter. (4) And biggest goof-up was last week with Contax T and no film loaded. Never squeezed 39 frames out of this camera before... Note to self: stop laughing at other photogs, and start checking my own spool for rotation!

Xmas said:
Robin

A changing bag or hand over the complete camera to mini lab person, should have gotten them back.

Ive done Ian's straight out of the post package a 36 casssette and then the discovery that the rewind lever did nothing at all, darkroom time...

Noel
Hi Noel,I figured that out too late,as I sat in the dark calling myself D.A..It wont happen again.Claire and I just took more pictures........Robin

Funny thread … it makes me feel better because I’ll know to be not alone when I’ll do my mistakes.
Right now I did all sort of mistakes since I passed to Rf cameras, I shot with the lens cap on and without film in the camera (not the same session ..eh!), I took lots of photos of my fingers with my cv21. I remember shooting with my BessaR with wrong framelines in the VF (nobody mentioned this one…).
I also changed the film without changing film speed on the asa dialer and shot with the wrong hyperfocal setting on my bessaL and cv21 (this both in the same session …shame on me) and Agfa Isolette (RF uncoupled).
I also remember once the film didn't catch and advance on a lomo lca.
Last but not at least I opened the bessaR and found a not completely rewinded film…
Anyway the one I still do and did just saturday is shooting with the wrong hyperfocal distance setting ...

Ciao
Nico

Yep, I've done alot of these.
AND
With the Crown Graphic.

Set f stop, focus, compose, forget to cock shutter, cock shutter, forget to pull dark slide. Pull dark slide, forget to put dark slide back in before removing holder. Give up and go home for the day.

I once loaded a Bronica ETRS 120 back backwards. In other words, I shot a whole roll of film with the paper backing facing the lens.

kmack said:
Yep, I've done alot of these.
AND
With the Crown Graphic.

Set f stop, focus, compose, forget to cock shutter, cock shutter, forget to pull dark slide. Pull dark slide, forget to put dark slide back in before removing holder. Give up and go home for the day.

I once loaded a Bronica ETRS 120 back backwards. In other words, I shot a whole roll of film with the paper backing facing the lens.
Well, at least you could switch spools and try again :)

I don't own lens caps, lucky me. But after buying the Canon A-1 I spend the evening toying (horsing) around with it. When done I "pre-set" the iso dial to 400, as that was what I was going to use the next day. We had an engagement party, so all the family was there. Me and my brother would do the pictures.

I arrive with my camera bag packed with film and lenses (had to bring them all of course, even the f/4 zoom, eventhough it was inside and evening). Pulled out the A-1 and the f/1.4 50mm and decided in the spur of the moment to use B&W instead of color, because my brother was already using color.

It took me untill I got the pictures back from development to realize that I use Agfapan APX 100 for b&w...

Luckily I used my Olympus with some cheap minolta 400 film as well for some shots, so I gave those to my brother. The b&w shots are hidden in a drawer.

I forget to mention when I loaded the Agfa Isolette with 35mm film (experimenting home made "pano" solutions ...) and I opened or left opened (cannot remeber) the small window on the back to check the shot number ... the whole roll has gone ...

This thread is a weight off my shoulders...name a boneheaded thing and you bet I've done it atleast once.

I've forgotten the lens cap. I've also forgotten to focus. And, in aperture priority, I've gotten so caught up in picking the best aperture that I forget to notice the shutter speed dropping too low. But I think my most unique mistake was the time I wound the film back into the canister turning the rewind lever the wrong way. It left streaks all over the whole roll. I wondered why there was so much resistance, but my dumb self just kept winding.

Help! Mamiya 7ll LED problem!

Help! Mamiya 7ll LED problem!

Hi, im new to this forum and wanted to post this as a new thread but im afraid i cant seem to find the 'post new thread' link?!!

Ive just sold a Mamiya 7 II kit for a friend , hes hardly touched it- its been sitting in my safe for a long time. Anyway the person who bought it is returning it tommorow stating "The LED which illuminates the shutter speed for "30"
ie 1/30th of a second in the viewfinder does not illuminate at all under any
setting (both manual exposure and automatic exposure) whereas all the other
shutter speed leds do. I have tried new batteries with exactly the same
results."
Does anyone know what i can do to check this/ troubleshooting as im no expert on this camera. I know it has only had 1 roll of film through it & been stored well with batteries taken out of it so am concerned it might just be something small (i hope).
Many thanks hope someone out there can help-
M. : )

When I went to spend two weeks with my fiancee, I took what I knew to be a brilliant picture of a fighting chicken. You know those shots, when you know in your bones that the exposure, focus and framing are just perfect?

Then my fiancee said to me, "is that supposed to be on there" pointing at the lens cap still on the lens...

I was trying out a Konica C35 a few weeks before and was wondering why the film wind was a bit sticky. "I know, I'll give it a nice strong turn", which made the winding on so much easier! Too easy in fact...

Of course I had ripped the film from the cassette. Oops!

Back