Monochrom Sensor Corrosion... opinion needed

Chemophilic

Established
Local time
2:45 PM
I just got a used Monochrom at a decent price over at the Bay and despite the sensor was replaced in 2015, I saw those dreaded corrosion problems on the pictures. Now I need to decide.. should I return it back to the seller for a refund... or should I brave the sensor replacement system with Leica?

What would you do? Thanks for your input.

2015 would be the original, corrosion-prone sensor replacement. As I recall, the corrected MM replacements started in early 2016. But are you sure it's the corrosion problem? Can you post one to show us?

If the price was good, the camera is otherwise in great shape, with reasonable actuations, and you're OK waiting a few months, I'd be inclined to keep it and get the goodwill fix.

John

The camera has 50k actuations and it comes with a service invoice dated back to June 2015 that the sensor is replaced and the shutter mechanism is repaired. I paid about 3.5k for it.

Here is a picture of sky.. some look like dust, but there are a bunch with halo around them.

Fh2orNHCZC1i1hTroekR9mYcK4AOzswdUdU1vqq1xZhvijbHAbkI_hIOy19V1qtCgWZlK4MxTtW4YmyaUQU54SilDVhbgaZIkXaHs0d0XBAxqNgg29juoyHITd-U-QYgmNCHt7wo5ARRq8VqcwAbfukQexgbCSgwbXAl1P_o6YbqbQu2j0euPGiaOF02eqPocxj78LsuiNkt68_wbdzTMCjiNMLxqoQl9ODUd02GJpHwG4xKywckX4zWr1zCwryWHfIN5poWdZsJSvHrV2Sd1dFETq3uXlhFEDwMXFl9xufK72GxlBWSRaNL94FTHpHEDDOQG81HBhlBFQFVP0P43bsfhIxf9CoNkdmI154EWXM26R7aOr8ZWPCeFYGULbd2voMRUJBVDcy9uDktphHqTrPHLnWI_M5ASw7eFp78Kr4JCezCL7qd1o3iiVqdF271CnRx9WeRg6boSbQeEJjU_Zu5Q5tw0RmrW4EPGx5rZtZ0lHu-mui_xhx72czHCXroB7vk-ChUvQa_8LYk5ypXXDK1UiJZHKa6aNT25cYsw_IQ_n4WPDUy5sJk7MlNku7kJS-9KadtiWZ3lnU5KukHXnLggZ7oWYDCMH_DbnSh-VB7oh8G=w1190-h792-no

Looks like dust to me. I had what I thought was sensor corrosion and sent it back to Leica. They cleaned the sensor and sent it back good as new.

I really hope you are right. The sensor was replaced in June, as far as I know that would be right before there was a permanent fix on the sensor based on what I read. I have a sensor cube coming in on Wednesday and hopefully that will clean that up.

Here is another cropped portion of the picture:

_QHw6s_pVKP_MOabLEwIaJ7GzX7lK8vAtUDYIlEWk-hWO2Quo1Gs4KFhkmLdAdJVygZIj4mCikndxeA6YRTq0MkDH2fuD7SvdiqSyAFZWp5egIX4UMJcHkmCN_Nl26HppaGbZWHP7Ais5l-ap48O8MeSha-K6IwG4MVcIY482w1N7iBsir5SLAo9WvX1YbR2h_3Y--4GTffQAhXU12Qw8vqZA68JZ9HuRQRFGgC5HATQRkZUsxQn5ASei_ddnX3-37ChKM7xL_KkRmt8VA6Ah8df-gIJQ3Y9hihKtZDGliivQVINB4Awgkq4BeSD2HPYbg5ShXxOx3n45lEguBAgUiHAG27OQvDxHS-DV7pZrdKXQggkLuB_1ZlTOEbdWqje4ljlxvm4IJiBrXIdSCzoh3QDWiskaAbzeA3VdViVev_KoTbCdZrat6eLSIwg8o16CH_w4-_r0ALeVPjbIJdN7Sd-gHhoDZf2K367CIpHSgWg5UnWRzAv1yRPgKGRZCkJ4iRV171-4x7wuV0wPwFo6xrrIDHyQZeHYM11LhctmskOIL2UW7oWDOru5UdtrKjqVh0jMonsL0gUtRWghwzVvDoY4RaQ8NEFe7jFcacFcoqw31RA=w1123-h792-no

Unfortunately, this^ is positively sensor corrosion and not just dust.
Send it in to Leica for inspection, confirmation of the corrosion and consequently replacement. Contact them first and try to get a date to send it in. You can still use it when you don't shoot a lot of sky stopped down. In case you send it in and they can't work on it right away, it'll be just sitting on the bench. Once you get it back it will be as good as new with new leather cover fully serviced and all. Good luck.

Are you living or does the camera come from a humid climate like Texas? I have noticed that when relative humidity is high in certain areas, this may happen more often. I though Leica had found solution to the sensor corrosion and that the new ones did not have the problem. Mine was changed two years ago (no the corrosion-proof sensor) and it is fine so far.

Mine sometimes gets white ring spots like those in the second file above. But they always clean off and don't reappear in the same location. I think only Leica can tell you if it's really the corrosion problem.

Mine is in NJ now being inspected. Now that it's cold out, I don't mind parting with it for a few months, and I've got other cameras I enjoy. They said if it needs replacement, the process will take 7 - 8 weeks.

John

I am on a waiting list and expect perhaps later this month to be contacted to send in my Monochrom. This allowed me to enjoy my camera.

I am an early adopter and got my Monochrom about 5 months after the initial release. This February it will be 4 years old. I only have trace amounts of what I believe is corrosion like in your example. I live in NYC where it can get rather swampy in the summer.

In my case it is doubtful that it is dust or dirt because I am not a lens changer, and wet cleaning does not remove the defects. Over the 4 years I have only had to wet clean my sensor perhaps three times, and most other times I can remove any dust with either a blower or Artic Butterfly.

The wait for the call to send in your camera is about 4 months I was told, and then the turnaround is 4-8 weeks.

My Monochrom is heavily used and displays a silvery "brassing" on the edges of the top plate. The covering is worn smooth from the use of a grip from my fingertips.

Cal

Spots like the OP's wouldn't bother me too much. After dealing with dust on negatives for years, the healing brush seems miraculous. Magnify, scan, a few clicks, and presto!

John

Spots like the OP's wouldn't bother me too much. After dealing with dust on negatives for years, the healing brush seems miraculous. Magnify, scan, a few clicks, and presto!

John

Like John says, not so big an issue. Only effects some shots, and pretty easy to eliminate.

Cal

If the price was good, the camera is otherwise in great shape, with reasonable actuations, and you're OK waiting a few months, I'd be inclined to keep it and get the goodwill fix.

John

Forgive me for asking... is this camera worth a few months wait? Is any camera? I mean you want to shoot camera, you buy it for very substantial money and wait for a few months... do you see nothing wrong here?

I don't mean to troll or offend anybody, just curious how does one justify something like that...

Forgive me for asking... is this camera worth a few months wait? Is any camera? I mean you want to shoot camera, you buy it for very substantial money and wait for a few months... do you see nothing wrong here?

I don't mean to troll or offend anybody, just curious how does one justify something like that...

I don't think you are trolling. When I bought my M-E brand spanking new, I only had it for 6 months before the sensor needed to be replaced due to corrosion. And that took 3-4 months before it was finally done.
Looking back in hindsight, I would never have bought it if I knew that issue was out there, especially since Leica already knew about it but was still selling cameras with that defective sensor.

As for the OP, that looks like dust to me, and seeing you bought it used at a pretty good price, I would hang onto it because when it does need a new sensor, he will essentially be getting a new camera.

I recently posted about such spots on my M9, and the opinions here were mixed on whether it was sensor corrosion or dust. I had many many such spots. They went away after several cleanings done by me. If they had been due to corrosion, the dust spots would not vanish quickly.

One option: Buy it, and mail it to Leica "for sensor cleaning". If they tell you it is a corroded sensor, Leica will replace it for no charge. Right?

One word ABSOLUTELY.....

Does it suck yeah but it is what it is and Leica is taking care of the problem.

I don't mean to rationalize what I agree, on the surface, would be a silly proposition. But it's a one-of-a-kind camera in a peculiar situation. You'll get it back from Leica after a few weeks as essentially a new camera, and likely enjoy its unique capabilities for many years.

It's not so different than buying an old Leica film body and sending it right away for CLA. Your patience is rewarded with something really sweet. Except in this case the service was free.

And then there's the fact that, like many things Leica, common sense sometimes does not apply. :)

John

M,

You ask a very good question.

I waited 12 weeks for Harry Fleenor to overhaul a Rollie 3.5F. Harry is simply the best and worth any wait. Waiting for repairs is part of ownership of some cameras.

In regard to the Monochrom it is a bit of a cult camera being the first B&W only digital camera if you discount the B&W backs say built by Phase One. It also features a CCD sensor that offers a rather unique rendering, CMOS has replaced the CCD sensor as an upgrade in the new M-246, and it is highly unlikely that the more costly CCD sensor will ever make a comeback.

Despite many limitations (limited High ISO performance, less Mega-Pixels, small and slow buffer, and lack of frills) it is a very artful camera that can print mighty big and can display resolution and tonality of a larger format camera.

Anyways not for everyone but for the few that are cult followers that basically can't live without the camera, likely worth it, but unlikely for most or the masses.

For me the new M-246 is a marvel with its high ISO performance, but I love the tonality of the original Monochrom better. For me my MM has the vast midrange of medium and large format film, and the new M-246 while it has more shadow detail and a smoother rolloff in the highlights the mids are kinda scooped.

For me the original Monochrom renders more like film than any digital camera. Sometimes it is the size of the pixel verses how many pixels. In this regard my MM is only 18 MP but is 14-bit for files that are 252 MB, but understnd the M-246 , although 24 MP is only 12-bit for 288 MB.

Leica limited the bit-depth on the M-246 to limit file size due to processing speed, and for me I went to a Leica SL that is 24 MP and 14-bit for 336 MB of data, but realize that Leica utilized the processor borrowed and adapted from the medium format "S" on the SL.

I bring up the SL because although the SL and M-246 are both 24 MP the files of the SL are really a big jump and are amazing. You really can't compare a SL to a M-240 or M-246 IMHO. I'm not so sure the M-246, although a great camera, was the right camera for me. Know that I print big so big files get exploited and you can see the extra detail. If you only print 13x19 then all this extra data kinda goes wasted because the print size is unlikely to reveal all the extra detail.

I still love my Monochrom, warts and all. The CCD has a unique rendering, and to me it is the most film like. While only 18MP I sometimes get large format results in my prints (20x30 on 24x36 paper).

Cal

Back