Monochrom Sensor Corrosion... opinion needed

I don't know if the Monochrom wait time is longer than that for the M9 but I sent my M9 to NJ on 9/22 without contacting them in advance. I received it from them on 11/18. Very close to the eight week estimate that they gave me in the initial acknowledgement.

So why exactly did you send in your camera?

Tom, the sensor developed occasional spots with white rings. They always cleaned off, but I figured, why not get it checked?

My shooting drops off a lot in winter, so this is an OK time to part with it. I'm actually hoping it's corrosion so they update it. If not, that's good too. In the meantime, I've got other cameras I enjoy.

John

On my Monochrom I have a few spots that might be corrosion. Mervyn from the NYC Meet-Up sent in his Monochrom and waited 6 months to have his sensor replaced just recently.

Perhaps for some the bottleneck is the 4-5 month wait for backordered sensors. Maybe some experienced good timing and got lucky with a fast turnaround. Anyways I'm feeling rather lucky.

Like John above I tend to shoot less in the cold weather, and it is the best time for me to do without the camera. In the meantime I mostly shoot my new SL.

I have a Visible Dust cleaning system. It seems the few wet cleanings I performed did not remove the artifacts that sometimes appear in my files in say a clear sky. IMHO very much I think it is corrosion in my case.

My camera gets shipped today.

Cal

Set up the clipping indicators at 1% and chimp the histogram to learn perfect exposure and to gain consistentcy. The histogram does not lie and it also quantifies the exposure, tonal range, and IQ at a glance. It should not take long to get consistent because you get immediate feedback by chimping.

Basically try to make a histogram as far to the right as possible without clipping. Also try to make ten-zone histograms for the broadest tonal range. Try to make histograms with mucho midrange to create medium and large format like results. Look to make/create histograms that resemble a profile of a Sperm Whale (Moby Dick) if you want to resemble large format tonality.

Cal

Excellent advice for all digital cameras. Maximize the data's information content. Nothing beats signal-to-noise ratio. The signal represents the light. It is what you want/need. It's not just an abstract technical term.

....My camera gets shipped today.

Cal

Good luck on its journey. I might be naive in expecting mine back in 10 weeks, but Jan/Feb are my least active months, so c'est la vie. Spring would be nice.

I'm trying to picture their repair operation. This fix couldn't take that long, so they must have stacks of faulty gear, too few staff, or both. I get that sensor fixes are only one issue, but months-long waits?! In any case, that's no way to run a service outfit.

John

Willie,

I am using the word "noise" to define unwanted signal.

Cal

Thanks for the clarification.

I was taught two think about noise in two ways. Noise is the uncertainty of the data. Or, noise determines the the error in parameter estimates from the data (in our case an estimate for the electrical charge accumulated at a given sensor site when the shutter was open). These uncertainties or errors are uncorrelated.

By contrast IR and UV contamination are artifacts. The difference between noise and artifacts is noise contains no information. Artifacts contain information because the uncertainties or errors from artifacts are correlated. Artifacts are unwanted signals or other factors that affect the data in a coherent way. The information content of some artifacts is so high they can be removed from the data without any loss of information. Others can not be removed because we have incomplete information. IR contamination is one of these.

These definitions don't matter until one has to create a mathematical model (Bayer demosaicking for instance) to make the best possible parameter estimates from the data. In this case the estimates would be a set of digital numbers in a defined representing a spatial array... the raw file's contents.

Thanks for the clarification.

By contrast IR and UV contamination are artifacts. The difference between noise and artifacts is noise contains no information. Artifacts contain information because the uncertainties or errors from artifacts are correlated.

Willie,

No. It should be me thanking you for the clarification. Artifact definitely is a better term that defines more accurately what I was trying to state. Sometimes a choice of words really makes a big difference to clarity.

Also those "Sperm Whale histograms" are just so loaded with information, and it seems they require the least amount of processing.

Cal

Back in July I contacted Leica N.J. to get on a waiting list for sensor replacement. I was told it would be about 4 months wait until I would get contacted to send in my Monochrom.

I contacted them today because more than 4 months has transpired and got a shipping label. The expected turnaround currently is 8-10 weeks. I presume the repair time got extended from 6-8 weeks due to the holidays. It seems that this waiting list works well.

It was explained to me that the real bottleneck is the back-order of sensors that is currently 4-5 months. I was also told that my Monochrom will get a complete overhaul and come back as if like a new camera.

February 2015 my Monochrom will be 4 years old. I'm hoping to get it back by then. Also note that Leica does not want you to send the body with the battery.

Cal

For those curious about sensor replacement on my Monochrom, I was told 8-10 weeks, but got my camera returned in 12. New firmware, new sensor, and new covering.

I am pleased.

I have come to realize how basic and simple my MM is, that is its charm, and due to its limitations and simplicity lies its elegance. Boy did I miss this camera. Glad it is back home.

BTW when compared to my SL it is mighty retro.

Cal

Waiting for mine to return. Was told 8-12 weeks, now about 10. We shall see.

I'm disinclined to go for a 246; was told by one dealer that Leica offers a swap through them for ~$3400. Did not seem meaningful enough. Would rather save my pfennig for an M10.

Waiting for mine to return. Was told 8-12 weeks, now about 10. We shall see.

I'm disinclined to go for a 246; was told by one dealer that Leica offers a swap through them for ~$3400. Did not seem meaningful enough. Would rather save my pfennig for an M10.

James,

I was told 8-10 weeks but it was actually 12 weeks. Hang in there. BTW I got delivery a few weeks ago, so my experience is kinda current.

Cal

Well, mine was done precisely at 12 weeks.

It appears that the wait as of June 2017 for a sensor swap out of Leica-New Jersey is at 24 weeks. No doubt the mad rush before the 1 August deadline.

In response, Leica has expanded the models available for discounted purchase at swap to include color sensors so if the M246 isn't your taste, the various M240 variants (including the M262) as well as the SL are offered.

See https://leicarumors.com/2017/06/16/more-upgrade-options-for-leica-m9m9-pm-emonochrom-cameras-with-ccd-sensor-corrosion.aspx/#more-47240 for the prices.

In response, Leica has expanded the models available for discounted purchase at swap to include color sensors so if the M246 isn't your taste, the various M240 variants (including the M262) as well as the SL are offered.

My Monochrom is at Leica now having its sensor replaced too. I did take them up on trading my M9, but not the Monochrom - that one's a keeper. Glad its working life is about to be prolonged.

Just an update that is long overdue; my MM was received by Leica on 1/12 and I got it back on 3/29; so roughly 10 weeks turnaround time.

Leica NJ received my camera on May 23rd. I am hoping that without phoning again, and according to my last communication with them, I should receive word this week that the new sensor installation work will be complete. Reading back on this thread and regarding filtration and finding that sweet spot with the MM, I am really anxious to have my camera back so I can continue to push the rock up the hill. When the MM sings it really sings :)

David

Back