More Zeiss 50 Planar ZM Color photos

Avotius

Some guy
Local time
9:39 PM
Warning, image intensive!

I know most of you out there are shooting a lot of bw, so I thought you might like to see some more color photos from my latest trip with the Zeiss Planar. It worked great, I think my camera overexposes about half a stop but maybe it could be my scanning....highlights tend to get blown out sometimes. Still its a great lens. Now that I dont have a place to develop my film here in town anymore im wondering what im going to do with so much film equipment. The place I took these rolls to did such a lousy job, they came back scratched, dusty, and with a long line down the lower part. Sigh....

Out of focus areas with the Planar are without a doubt excellent. The lens really does have amazing character. Sharp but not harsh, very medium format like where the tones and subtle sharpness give images extra personality. Of all my rolls of film that I took on my trip, I didnt have one single frame with flare that meant anything. Bright light sources, high contrast situations, the sort, nothing. Great job. I wish the lens had a focusing movement as smooth as the tabbed 50 summicron I played with at this town as mine still seems stiff after many many rolls of film and lots of working. Also I detect very slight wobble of the inside lens barrel, I hope its nothing and not the notorious loose barrel problem.

Anyho here ya go: Fuji Superia 200 and Kodak Gold 200, two sides of the same coin. By the way, I suck at names, dont hold it against me.

1673000200_b88ee06b66_o.jpg

Ola Enstad

Ola is a wonderfully warm individual. A pedantic sculptor, artist, photographer, linguist, and a true man of the world. He speaks 8 languages at last count, traveled the far reaches of the world, and can really take his alcohol. I have known this man for many years and have only good things to say about my friend.

1672145461_8987527f87_o.jpg

Michael Yamash ita

National Geographic photographer for 25+ years, seen things that most could not imagine, and has made his mark on the world, all while having a family back home. Isn't this the kind of life most of us dream about? I have the distinct pleasure to know this man and one day would love to work along side him on assignment.

1672124305_b8bb6665da_o.jpg

Wangyi and the Window

30 hours there, 30 hours back. The train can be a boring place sometimes. Staring out the window can provide light entertainment as the Chinese countryside goes by, looking at the old houses, mountains, and endless fields of grain and grass.

1672151385_5fa49d5b8b_o.jpg

Restaurant Dog

A lot of people who have small restaurants have cats and dogs that sit around all day under tables and begging for scraps from the customers. This dog was just looking for someone to pay attention to him, so he found a nice spot next to my girlfriend and plopped himself right on the ground.

1672989024_70cfadf995_o.jpg

Face Wash

Rub the handles of this brass basin and the vibrations cause the water inside to splash up and can wash your face, for a fee of course. Sometimes just taking a picture of a street will get you someone in your face asking for money for taking the photo.

1672928838_e844375149_o.jpg

Old Look

The old lady on her stool enjoying the daylight gets a visit from a guy with a camera who would like to take her picture. She gives him a odd glance and he snaps the moment.

1672080175_cdd4b97b9b_o.jpg

Sunset by the Streets

The little dog sitting in the light of the sunset as his owner plays cards behind him. A nice calm moment before the night.

1672937848_97a9e2aa66_o.jpg

Old Street

The old streets of Pingyao, quickly disappearing in favor for newer "old style" buildings. Poorly maintained and falling apart, its a pity they will probably be traded for something newer rather then repaired. Older generations remember growing up in places like this. This old lady, with her bike, waiting, passing time as is the door.

1672943130_913892ade9_o.jpg

Sunset on the Apples

A farmer counts his money at the end of the day as the sun goes down on his simple shop by the side of the street. His apples were kind of dry...

1672946388_4ec4c162ac_o.jpg

Work Clothes

These three guys talking in the street, probably just got off work. They look to be part of the tourism industry, maybe guides or doormen. Seeing them casually standing around seemed like something out of place in the streets but then again maybe not since the they are usually so..."casual".

1672100581_1e01b743c8_o.jpg

BBQ Goat

MMMmmmm...........BBQ goat is the best, a little salt, a lot of cumin, and some chili powder some of that smoky flavor that only comes from BBQ and ya got one of the best foods in the world. This lady serves up this tasty treat in an otherwise uninspired town when it comes to food.

1672949456_9a4cd16b1a_o.jpg

Class Gap

Widening gaps in class in China doesn't mean that the contrasting people are separated. The rich and poor, city and country folk walk amongst each other in the streets. I wonder why this old lady has to beg for money, what is her story, how did it come to this for her.

Last edited:
1672104941_bbd05aaca1_o.jpg

Bike Bed

Who are these people? Are they homeless? Where are they going? Is this their home? Why is she lying in the back. Where did the umbrella come from? This photo brings up dozens of questions for me, I didnt have an opportunity to find out anything about these people as the sped along the street and me running behind them trying to snap this photo.

1672111461_8a99aa07a6_o.jpg

He sees me too

This guy about to take off on his bike takes a quick glance back once more at the lao wai taking photos of him, I grab the moment as he does.

1672115007_c13b76c175_o.jpg

Support

This guy stands out in front of a shoe store talking to his friend inside. I find it interesting and ironic that a man with one leg would have a friend who is a cobbler. He chats and smokes and laughs, then takes a moment to stand for a photo.

1672118303_d0ffda0303_o.jpg

Support 2

Different version of photo above.

1672974562_a521e86655_o.jpg

Kiss Kiss

This old guy saw two "lao wai" (foreigners) sitting in a bar kissing, he had to come by and cheer them on, for several minutes.

1672961338_15ec6d1bfb_o.jpg

Nothing New

Even as huge explosions and smoke make chaos behind him, this old guy crossing the street acts as if nothing out of the ordinary is going on, more interesting is that nosy guy who is taking his picture.

1672980980_2939a3ab0c_o.jpg

Put Stuff Here

Anything of interest in here? This old lady is probably looking for plastic bottles or scraps that can be turned into the recycling plant for a few coins.

1672984488_5e2e80fadf_o.jpg

Exhibition?

A little street side exhibition perhaps? No, just a guy watching the photos for someone else. Set on the old brick houses and faded red decorations in Pingyao, the streets are a lively place.

1672994450_be321f1514_o.jpg

Exhibition Posters

All over Pingyao posters of various exhibitions going on. A lot of them end up on the ground from the wind that blows through the flat city making a lot of garbage everywhere. In a way you cant help but feel sorry for the people who live here who have to clean up after us visitors.

Last edited:
Colin thanks for showing more of your terrific street photos and for taking the time & trouble to make this very interesting post. Your comments make the post that much richer and I do like the look you're getting from your new lens! It's a real privilege to get a look inside another country like this. :)

Marvelous pictures! I have this lens but not Colin's inspiration. The lens is wonderful but Colin would get great photos with any decent lens. However, the combination of excellent lens and excellent talent make for most enjoyable viewing. Thank you Avotius.
Kurt M.

Man these are good, very good. I love the colour, love the definition, very medium format like, so much detail and beautifull bokeh. I think you have a great eye and feel like you have told me a story about china without even going there.

No more GAS no more GAS, hold off hold off. It might be too late, damn your photo's!

Fantastic photos!!!!! Great work!!!
You make me want to hold off selling my Planar and give it another chance here. It does have that MF feel to it with superb out of focus areas. And I was about to list mine for sale......... Very timely post.
Great stuff, post more please, when you get a chance.

Krosya said:
Fantastic photos!!!!! Great work!!!
You make me want to hold off selling my Planar and give it another chance here. It does have that MF feel to it with superb out of focus areas. And I was about to list mine for sale......... Very timely post.
Great stuff, post more please, when you get a chance.

Thanks for the kind words, I will post more tomorrow, but I have class in the morning and need my inspiration sleep :D

Did you do any post processing to the photos? Cause if not that ZM Planar is a GORGEOUS lens! Wow indeed.

jbf said:
Did you do any post processing to the photos? Cause if not that ZM Planar is a GORGEOUS lens! Wow indeed.

very very little, scans were about on, the typical levels +5 here -5 there, its scanned film, of course there is a little tweaking, but you would be surprised how little there was.

Wonderful! I think these may be your best yet. That lens is amazing, but it's clearly got a talented photographer driving it.

Hi! Colin, really like your shots. Would u mind share your scanning workflow, including the equipment used? I am a negative shooter and would very much want to know how do u digitised your negs.

This s series is such an inspiration!

Now it will be harder to get an ZM. Please share your scaning info. Thanks

Colin, beautiful photographs! Some appear (almost) as 'dense' as slides, with a great deal of fine detail and microcontrast (someone mentioned medium format-esque and I tend to agree!). My favourites are 'Ola Enstad', 'Old Street' and 'Exhibition?'. One day I would love to visit your country!

These photos are excellent. They look absolutely stunning on my screen. The color and sharpness are unreal. They're also very interesting and pleasing shots with great composition. Bravo!

Back