Most Reliable Electronic Rangefinder Camera?

There's been one mention of the Olympus XA, but it was rather dismissive. I've owned several over the years, starting in college in the early Eighties. I've never had one fail. My daughter has one that I gave her years ago, and it works reliably too. They've been very reliable for me. The optics have some vignetting, but they make beautiful photos just the same. Give one a try.

Scott

I loved the XA, had three of them over the years. All three died of film transport system failure and there were no parts available ... the shutters always worked perfectly.

G

I concur on the XA. I've owned several and all were champs. I used to put a lot of Velvia through the XA and it never missed a beat.

My Zeiss Ikon was purchased new in 2009, and has seen a lot of use without skipping a beat. But would I buy one again, now? No. The whole repair issue is too much of a concern. Yes, Zeiss still repairs them, but I doubt that will continue too much longer.
When I purchased the camera, the film camera ecosystem (cameras, repair persons, film itself) was still strong. Today, film is a tiny, precarious niche. Mechanical film cameras seem the best way to survive in the brave new digital world, if one insists on shooting film.

Early cameras that utilized electronic generally weren't repairable due to size of the components and wires that had to be crammed into the camera. It was extremely difficult for a repairman to dissemble, repair, and cram everything back together again. When components became miniaturized taking a camera apart became no harder than servicing an all mechanical camera. Miniaturized electronics also mean lower heat loads. I really disagree with the notion that cameras with electronics are less serviceable than all mechanical cameras. Something like >95% of electronics fail during burn in (or during the warranty period). I have computers that are greater than 40 years old that still work fine. I don't buy the bogeyman that electronic cameras aren't serviceable. I've bought many a Minolta CLE that wasn't working 100% dirt cheap because the owner was convinced it wasn't repairable, paid $100 for service and they worked just fine.

The whole electronic vs. mechanical argument goes on and on, and of course I'm as guilty as anyone in helping to perpetuate it. If I were to be completely honest, one major reason for my advocacy of mechanical cameras is completely irrational. I just love, and have always been fascinated by, mechanical gadgets that can do amazing things without any power source beyond a wind lever or something similar. A Barnack Leica, a mechanical chronograph, a multi-speed bicycle, a mechanical typewriter, all are just marvelous gizmos and wonderful examples of human creativity and its growth and evolution over time. The more knobs and levers and dials the better, especially if they're finely machined and engraved in a beautiful script. And no plastic, please! Like I said, not particularly rational. Hence, "Retro-Grouch".

Early cameras that utilized electronic generally weren't repairable due to size of the components and wires that had to be crammed into the camera. It was extremely difficult for a repairman to dissemble, repair, and cram everything back together again. When components became miniaturized taking a camera apart became no harder than servicing an all mechanical camera. Miniaturized electronics also mean lower heat loads. I really disagree with the notion that cameras with electronics are less serviceable than all mechanical cameras. Something like >95% of electronics fail during burn in (or during the warranty period). I have computers that are greater than 40 years old that still work fine. I don't buy the bogeyman that electronic cameras aren't serviceable. I've bought many a Minolta CLE that wasn't working 100% dirt cheap because the owner was convinced it wasn't repairable, paid $100 for service and they worked just fine.

Where'd you get the CLE serviced? Knowing a reliable repairman for the CLE would help many who are on the fence about the camera.

I second styvone's request. In violation of all my principles, I've just purchased a CLE, mint and CLA'd, but I'm already wondering what to do if it tanks. Yes, being a little obsessive here, I know.

..,I just love, and have always been fascinated by, mechanical gadgets that can do amazing things without any power source beyond a wind lever or something similar. A Barnack Leica, a mechanical chronograph, a multi-speed bicycle, a mechanical typewriter, all are just marvelous gizmos and wonderful examples of human creativity and its growth and evolution over time. The more knobs and levers and dials the better, especially if they're finely machined and engraved in a beautiful script. And no plastic, please! Like I said, not particularly rational. Hence, "Retro-Grouch".

Nicely written. What you describe is an appreciation - a love for design and craftsmanship. It seems perfectly rational!

Electronic circuits and the resulting functionality has a beauty as well, though perhaps the best way to see it is with a circuit simulator or a Tek 4104 scope.

I have a gray chert arrowhead, found in my back yard, and identified by experts as being of Apache manufacture. I look at it often, and appreciate its pure, elegant functionality and the exquisite level of craftsmanship, far beyond what was necessary to do the job. I often wonder about the person who made it, who put so much effort into what was an object of everyday use. In a strange way, it reminds me of a Barnack Leica; both are pure expressions of a highly evolved (if different) technology, and objects of great beauty.
Across centuries and cultures, we can, if we choose, see our common humanity. That's what fascinates me about our material histories, and art history in particular.

I second styvone's request. In violation of all my principles, I've just purchased a CLE, mint and CLA'd, but I'm already wondering what to do if it tanks. Yes, being a little obsessive here, I know.
Good luck and enjoy! Some years ago my local camera repair guy told me that the Minolta CLE uses no integrated circuits, but rather standard off-the-shelf electronic components that can be individually replaced. And that the main repair challenge is in determining which component has failed...

I have two CLE bodies, one since new in the 1980s, and the only problem I've encountered is dirty electrical contacts under the shutter speed dial, resulting in flickering diodes in the viewfinder, reasonably easy to correct.

Good luck and enjoy! Some years ago my local camera repair guy told me that the Minolta CLE uses no integrated circuits, but rather standard off-the-shelf electronic components that can be individually replaced. And that the main repair challenge is in determining which component has failed...

I have two CLE bodies, one since new in the 1980s, and the only problem I've encountered is dirty electrical contacts under the shutter speed dial, resulting in flickering diodes in the viewfinder, reasonably easy to correct.

Just looking at pictures of disassembled CLE's they certainly look to have ICs on them. Might be off the shelf ICs but they are there.

Shawn

I may be recalling it incorrectly in reference to ICs... I gather his point was that they are all standard off-the-shelf components and are potentially replaceable, nothing custom made for this application.

I confess to taking a know-nothing attitude to my new CLE. It works, and hopefully will for a long time, and that's all I care about. Pal_K speaks of the beauty of electronic circuitry, and I admire his ability to see it, but for me an electronic camera is a black box with squiggly things inside. When I see gears and levers, I can see how they work, but not so electronics. Perhaps that's part of my anxiety about a camera like the CLE.
On the other hand, I've started shooting with it, and wow, I love this camera!

The CLE is an all-time favorite for me :) If and when you get a yen for the medium-format equivalent, look at the Bronica RF645, another fav.

Always thought the Bronica was very cool. What I don't need is yet another system, so don't start tempting me! Now excuse me while I go on over to ebay and check the prices....

When I purchased my new M7 years ago I did not think to worry about repairability. Now, years later and having being well used in all types of weather, in the USA and Europe, my electronic marvel is purring right along. it has yet to see a repairman.

Back