Most used primes in mft ?

yinyangbt

MFL addicted
Local time
8:19 PM
Which are your most used (preferred) native mft primes ?
I just started the primes collection very traditionally , with a 50 equivalent "normal " (Oly 25/1,8) wich came today ...

Oly 25 1.8 and 45 1.8

I first bought a 7Artisans 25 1.8 thinking I would be cool w/ mf, but the Oly lenses w af just make so much more sense. Instant focus, crazy sharp. W/ manual lenses I have to use image magnification etc.

I have the kit 14-42 and also got the 50-150. I also have the 30/3.5 macro and I seem to use it most of the time. If I saw the 45/1.8 for a good price I'd definitely consider it, but actually the inexpensive fisheye is most intriguing for an ultrawide.

Oly 25 1.8 and 45 1.8

I first bought a 7Artisans 25 1.8 thinking I would be cool w/ mf, but the Oly lenses w af just make so much more sense. Instant focus, crazy sharp. W/ manual lenses I have to use image magnification etc.

I've used MFL for more than 8 years (not to mention the years before AF ) but since the eyesight dropped a bit with age, it became more obvious that AF is better for me ,especially in low light.

I think I'd like too the 45/1,8

I have the kit 14-42 and also got the 50-150. I also have the 30/3.5 macro and I seem to use it most of the time. If I saw the 45/1.8 for a good price I'd definitely consider it, but actually the inexpensive fisheye is most intriguing for an ultrawide.

I was interessed in primes, not zooms .
I hear that the macro is super sharp .

My most used are the 25mm f1.4 Pan/Leica, 15mm f1.7 Pan/Leica, and the 42.5mm f1.7 Panasonic. All are very good.

I have the Oly 75mm f1.8, a superb lens, but it often feels too long at 150mm equivalent focal length.

20/1.7 II at the moment, followed by 60/2.8 Macro.

With all those APS-C and full-frame lenses getting absolutely humongous (coming from film M lenses here), I see Micro 4/3's main benefit to be the small size of the lenses. I hope the format will survive the test of time and stay small.

I was interessed in primes, not zooms .
I hear that the macro is super sharp .

I understand that you asked about primes, which is why I mentioned the macro. But partly my point is that the Zuiko zooms are excellent, even the inexpensive ones.

My most used is the Oly 17/1.8; before I got that lens last year, it would have been the little Oly 17/2.8. 17mm and my Olympus Pen F is turning into a nice combination for me.

After 17mm, I use the Oly 45/1.8 and the Lumix 20/1.7 I. The latter is still a superb optic, although the AF is not up to the more recent Olympus MFT primes.

I've got the Oly 25/1.8 and the Lumix 14/2.5, but I don't use them nearly as much as the other focal lengths.

For a digital kit for travel, the Pen F with the 17/1.8 and the 45/1.8 is just about perfect.

I used the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 for an entire two week trip to Europe. It's a really terrific lens! The Oly 25mm and 17mm f1.8 are really solid too. Those are the only three I own but I'm really happy with all of them.

I have the 15mm f1.7 PanaLeica, the 25mm f1.8 Olympus, and the 45mm f1.8 Olympus. They're all superb lenses. The 45 is the only one I really ever use though. I ended up buying the 7-14mm f2.8 and 12-40mm f2.8 Olympus Pro zooms because I found them more useful for the kind of work I do. The 45 is a wonderful portrait lens, though.

The 15; I don't use it anymore, but it is a great lens.

The 17mm f1.7 Olympus is the only truly awful M43 lens I have ever used. It is VERY sharp in the center and extremely soft everywhere else. I thought I had a bad one but tried several more and they were the same; its just a crappy design. Returned it for refund. The PanaLeica 15 is super sharp across the whole frame. Much more usable.

I've used MFL for more than 8 years (not to mention the years before AF ) but since the eyesight dropped a bit with age, it became more obvious that AF is better for me ,especially in low light.

I think I'd like too the 45/1,8

I have no problem mf with real rangefinder cameras, film slrs etc. The problem w/ most EVF cameras is I need to use the magnifier to get accurate focus, and that really slows everything down.
Once I got my (fantastic!) AF 25 and 45 lenses, there was no need for mf w/ my EM10mk2.

Interestingly I also bought a Leica M-m43 adapter, and thought I may use my Leica glass. But once I got the Oly af lenses, it didn't seem to make much sense.

The Panasonic 14/2.5 got a lot of use on the E-M5 as it became almost a compact camera with such a small lens. It has since been supplanted by the Olympus 12/2, but it is larger.

GX85 - Eat 66 by Archiver, on Flickr

The Oly 25/1.8 is one of my favourite lenses for m43, along with the 45/1.8. I just love the tiny Olympus primes.

GM1 - Beats [explore 2014 07 05] by Archiver, on Flickr

GM1 - Two on the Table by Archiver, on Flickr
Although I have a lot more primes like the Voigtlander trio and the Oly 60 macro and 75, the Oly 12, 25 and 45 are the ones I use the most. Some days I'll go out with just the 25 and come back with a load of great images.

The 17mm f1.7 Olympus is the only truly awful M43 lens I have ever used. It is VERY sharp in the center and extremely soft everywhere else. I thought I had a bad one but tried several more and they were the same; its just a crappy design. Returned it for refund. The PanaLeica 15 is super sharp across the whole frame. Much more usable.

1.7? Haven't heard of this Olympus lens. 17mm 1.8 and 2.8 I am familiar with.

I have the Olympus 17mm 1.8 and it is my basic lens. No problems with corner sharpness or such.

This really depends on the field of view you want. A focal length that you won't use won't be of much use no matter how great its rendering.

Sigma's DN MFT lenses are inexpensive and unbeatable! In particular the 60mm F2.8 DN is a perfect street lens.

GX7 Camera, 60mm F2.8 DN - Yokohama, Japan

P1010927.JPG

P1010931.JPG

P1010982.JPG

P1010978.JPG

P1010990.JPG

P1020002.JPG

P1020005.JPG

P1020008.JPG

P1020024.JPG

P1010963.JPG

All the best,
Mike

1.7? Haven't heard of this Olympus lens. 17mm 1.8 and 2.8 I am familiar with.

I have the Olympus 17mm 1.8 and it is my basic lens. No problems with corner sharpness or such.

This really depends on the field of view you want. A focal length that you won't use won't be of much use no matter how great its rendering.

I meant the f1.8, and yes it has poor sharpness away from the center. I don't just mean the corners, I mean that every single one of the 5 of them I bought and returned was soft 1/3 of the way out from center at every aperture on the 20mp Pen-F. The Panasonic 15mm f1.7 is tack sharp everywhere.

Back