Musing dropping 35mm for MF

thegman

Mentor
Local time
3:42 PM
Hello,
I shoot both 35mm film and 120, with a little bit of digital. I find myself thinking that digital can replace 35mm for me, but not medium format. So here I am thinking about trading my only 35mm camera (Leica M3 + 50mm Summarit) for a Fujifilm GF670/Bessa III. Portability is much the same, and fewer shots per roll for me might be a benefit, as I just don't shoot that much at a time.

The fixed lens is not a big deal for me, as I have my Fotoman for wides.

I have used both a GF670 and a Mamiya 7, I much prefer the GF670 as a camera. I like Rolleiflex but not sure TLRs and I get along. I used to have a 'blad, but did not like it for handheld.

Other benefits are only buying one type of film (don't have to stock Velvia in 135 and 120), scanning is easier too.

Anyone here left 35mm behind just for MF?

Cheers

Garry

Hello,
I shoot both 35mm film and 120, with a little bit of digital. I find myself thinking that digital can replace 35mm for me, but not medium format. So here I am thinking about trading my only 35mm camera (Leica M3 + 50mm Summarit) for a Fujifilm GF670/Bessa III. Portability is much the same, and fewer shots per roll for me might be a benefit, as I just don't shoot that much at a time.

I have used both a GF670 and a Mamiya 7, I much prefer the GF670 as a camera. I like Rolleiflex but not sure TLRs and I get along. I used to have a 'blad, but did not like it for handheld.

Other benefits are only buying one type of film (don't have to stock Velvia in 135 and 120), scanning is easier too.

Cheers

Garry

Garry,

I'm shooting more and more 120 these days, but I still like 135. I don't do digital or even scan BTW. Sometimes I like the mobility of the smaller cameras and often I carry two.

Ever consider getting rid of the digital and only shooting film?

Also know I only shoot Tri-X and Arcos, but I tend to shoot about 50 rolls a month.

Cal

I did exactly what you're describing. I went to from the Contax G2 to the GF670, and have found it to be a great choice.

The GF670 is a great simple get out of your way camera. I do use the AE mode almost constantly and it works great with a little common sense.

There's definitely a change in shooting style, as before I would worry about what lens to use and how close I could get. Now I just shoot a bit wide for everything and fine tune my composition in the computer.

That's the nice thing about medium format and a digital darkroom, the scans look so much better because of the extra negative size. Grain simply ceases to be an issue really at all, even if you push it a stop or two. You worry less about the technical limitations of 35.

I don't mind having the limited amount of frames, since when I'm using film I'm already in a more careful mindset. If i need to take 100 frames of something on the fly, I'll use digital.

So in answer to your question, I did it and am glad I did.

Garry,

I'm shooting more and more 120 these days, but I still like 135. I don't do digital or even scan BTW. Sometimes I like the mobility of the smaller cameras and often I carry two.

Ever consider getting rid of the digital and only shooting film?

Also know I only shoot Tri-X and Arcos, but I tend to shoot about 50 rolls a month.

Cal

Digital is still a new thing for me, so I want to give it a chance. I actually quite like the camera (Nikon D7000) and I like using it for stuff that does not matter, and where the high ISO comes in handy.

My problem with 35mm is that high quality for big prints is achievable, but it's not easy, with MF it's easy.

50 rolls a month is more than 10 times what I shoot...

Garry

I did exactly what you're describing. I went to from the Contax G2 to the GF670, and have found it to be a great choice.

The GF670 is a great simple get out of your way camera. I do use the AE mode almost constantly and it works great with a little common sense.

There's definitely a change in shooting style, as before I would worry about what lens to use and how close I could get. Now I just shoot a bit wide for everything and fine tune my composition in the computer.

That's the nice thing about medium format and a digital darkroom, the scans look so much better because of the extra negative size. Grain simply ceases to be an issue really at all, even if you push it a stop or two. You worry less about the technical limitations of 35.

I don't mind having the limited amount of frames, since when I'm using film I'm already in a more careful mindset. If i need to take 100 frames of something on the fly, I'll use digital.

So in answer to your question, I did it and am glad I did.

That sounds like exactly my mindset at the moment. The only real advantage of 35mm over 120 in my mind is frames per roll, and that just does not concern me. There is fast lenses too, but again, I'm not a shoot wide open kind of guy. Maybe I just think I'm holding onto the Leica because it has Leica written on it more than because of the results it gives.

I'm in the process of doing this - left the 35mm gear home for the past few weeks now, will be letting the wife choose what she wants to keep for her use this weekend.

I've found great nearly-transparent tools in MF (Mamiya 7II and Pentax 67II), enjoy the 10-shot rolls over 36 more than I'd imagined, and LOVE having MF quality from my 'daily carry' shots. Film availability is less, sure, but as you say it makes stocking easier - down to only a few in 120 and hoping to do the same with 4x5 soon. My world is way too busy and distracting, and I like to play with toys too much, so this is also part of challenge to better focus as well.

The things I'm concerned about missing that 35mm brings to the table - (more) common film availability, and low-light capabilities. Most any old 35mm camera with a 50 has MF beat when you're shooting natural light indoors and can't live with absolute minimal DOF. MF scanners aren't so cheap/common either - not an issue for me as I wet print.

If you're comfortable with digital replacing 35mm where MF doesn't fit, I'd say go for it. I spend too much time with computers during the day, so all-film for me, and I'm just letting go of what I can't realistically shoot with MF. I may keep the couple favored 35mm format lenses as they do look great on digital should I ever go that way, but that's it.

Since getting my Rolleiflex overhauled and getting a Maxwell screen, I use the camera for the majority of my shots. The bigger negative is a nice advantage. It also slows down the process and I get 6-9 keepers on a roll. However, 35mm still has it's place, so you will regret selling the M3. 35mm has its own look and the smaller camera size can be an advantage. Keep the M3 and add a medium format camera. You will still use both. After I got the Rolleiflex fixed, I thought I would use medium format 100%, but that turned out to not be true.

Plus one on a Rollei.

A Rollei 3.5 is kinda light and small. Also getting it overhauled by Harry Fleenor and getting a Maxwell screen upgrade is great advice. There's something about special composing on ground glass...

Cal

I'm in the process of doing this - left the 35mm gear home for the past few weeks now, will be letting the wife choose what she wants to keep for her use this weekend.

I've found great nearly-transparent tools in MF (Mamiya 7II and Pentax 67II), enjoy the 10-shot rolls over 36 more than I'd imagined, and LOVE having MF quality from my 'daily carry' shots. Film availability is less, sure, but as you say it makes stocking easier - down to only a few in 120 and hoping to do the same with 4x5 soon. My world is way too busy and distracting, and I like to play with toys too much, so this is also part of challenge to better focus as well.

The things I'm concerned about missing that 35mm brings to the table - (more) common film availability, and low-light capabilities. Most any old 35mm camera with a 50 has MF beat when you're shooting natural light indoors and can't live with absolute minimal DOF. MF scanners aren't so cheap/common either - not an issue for me as I wet print.

If you're comfortable with digital replacing 35mm where MF doesn't fit, I'd say go for it. I spend too much time with computers during the day, so all-film for me, and I'm just letting go of what I can't realistically shoot with MF. I may keep the couple favored 35mm format lenses as they do look great on digital should I ever go that way, but that's it.

Low light is not much of a concern for me, especially as Delta 3200 is available in 120, and the grain is less of an issue compared with 35mm. Also, I just don't do much non-tripod stuff at night.

I'm happy with a flatbed for scanning, always found my V700 or 9000f more than enough.

I think I'm all but decided on this now...

Garry

Plus one on a Rollei.

A Rollei 3.5 is kinda light and small. Also getting it overhauled by Harry Fleenor and getting a Maxwell screen upgrade is great advice. There's something about special composing on ground glass...

Cal

I do love a Rolleiflex, they are just beautiful, but handheld, I like a camera which I hold eye level. On a tripod, great, but not walking about. I think a GF670 is the one for me, just so portable, even compared to a Mamiya 7 or Rollei.

With little kids, a WLF (a la Hasselblad or Rolleiflex) is perfect.

I haven't found a modern eye level MF that I like (the GSW690III was too loud). I'll sometimes shoot a Bessa II.

Yeah, the jump in quality when going to 120 is amazing.

I still have 35mm cameras because I like them. But they seem so much like toys after shooting a week or so with MF cameras.

Vick

I do love a Rolleiflex, they are just beautiful, but handheld, I like a camera which I hold eye level. On a tripod, great, but not walking about. I think a GF670 is the one for me, just so portable, even compared to a Mamiya 7 or Rollei.

Something to be said about the great portability and size of the GF670.

Cal

Hello,

This is what I did in 2002. Sold all my Leica equipment for Hassy SWC and 500CM, Zeiss Ikontas, used digital for smaller format. Was wonderful. Then in 2003 bought my first DSLR. By end of 2004 I realized I'd not made more than 20 MF exposures since 2003, sold off everything but DSLRs.

Now, a decade later, Leica M9 is my medium format. My small format is Ricoh GXR-M, Olympus E-1, and Leica X2. Have film cameras again too ... M4-2, Rollei 35S, Nikon F. I'd love a Bronica RF645, but I'll likely never buy one.

Do whatever makes you happy and improves your photographs, whatever that means to you. :)

This is what I did in 2002. Sold all my Leica equipment for Hassy SWC and 500CM, Zeiss Ikontas, used digital for smaller format. Was wonderful. Then in 2003 bought my first DSLR. By end of 2004 I realized I'd not made more than 20 MF exposures since 2003, sold off everything but DSLRs.

Now, a decade later, Leica M9 is my medium format. My small format is Ricoh GXR-M, Olympus E-1, and Leica X2. Have film cameras again too ... M4-2, Rollei 35S, Nikon F. I'd love a Bronica RF645, but I'll likely never buy one.

Do whatever makes you happy and improves your photographs, whatever that means to you. :)

Indeed, it does sort of feel wrong getting rid of a Leica, but I aspire more to Ansel Adams type work than HCB, so technical resolution/fine grain/gradations appeal more than "glow" or grittiness. But it's not like M3s are thin on the ground, they can be re-bought easy enough.

Great thread. I've pondered this myself ... and have leaned toward medium format. Reason: I'm just wowed by the negs, scans and look. If I need color snaps, I use my G9 point and shoot.

Unlike the OP, however, I rarely sell my cameras. So I've got my Olympus bag (OM2 and OM4), Nikkormat bag (FT2 and FT3) and my Oly Pen F bag, with a full assortment of lenses. Set any 35 camera on hyperfocal, and it's rock and roll on the street. The trouble starts on the scanner: the pics just never come out as clean.

So I've been working more with a Pentax 6X7, Rolleicord Vb and a GF 670, of which the latter two get the most use. (I see a number of Fujifilm owners here, though the discussion area is virtually dead) While clunkier on the street, the MF winners are truly wonderful. And that makes the hassle of film, developing and scanning all worthwhile.

Great thread. I've pondered this myself ... and have leaned toward medium format. Reason: I'm just wowed by the negs, scans and look. If I need color snaps, I use my G9 point and shoot.

Unlike the OP, however, I rarely sell my cameras. So I've got my Olympus bag (OM2 and OM4), Nikkormat bag (FT2 and FT3) and my Oly Pen F bag, with a full assortment of lenses. Set any 35 camera on hyperfocal, and it's rock and roll on the street. The trouble starts on the scanner: the pics just never come out as clean.

So I've been working more with a Pentax 6X7, Rolleicord Vb and a GF 670, of which the latter two get the most use. (I see a number of Fujifilm owners here, though the discussion area is virtually dead) While clunkier on the street, the MF winners are truly wonderful. And that makes the hassle of film, developing and scanning all worthwhile.

Agree, I've put a "for trade" ad up...

I am surprised about the lack of discussion here for a brand new MF folding range finder, you'd think it would get more attention than it does.

I am surprised about the lack of discussion here for a brand new MF folding range finder, you'd think it would get more attention than it does.

I'm thinking that there's so much great MF gear available at great prices that a new camera is entering a flooded market.

Good luck with your trading.

Very recently I bought a Pentax 67II. The AE prism is a wonder offerinf 6 segment matrix, center weighted, and spot metering all available at the flick of a switch. Also is TTL Flash, and the glass is inexpensive. Fast lenses too.

Warning: my Pentax is a big camera and very heavy.

Cal

Like many others on this thread, albeit using more antique gear in both 35mm and MF than most of those mentioned, I find that getting digital (Lumix LX3) for family-snapshots/-celebration/flash photography, it has largely displaced 35mm film. (After storing a quantity of 35mm 12-on in the fridge :eek: , as I rarely shoot a long roll anyway.) But I'm not sure that I can bear to part with many of the 35mm, liking them as collectibles for occasional use :rolleyes:, and I don't have a lot of monetary value tied up in them.

Low light is not much of a concern for me, especially as Delta 3200 is available in 120, and the grain is less of an issue compared with 35mm. Also, I just don't do much non-tripod stuff at night.

I'm happy with a flatbed for scanning, always found my V700 or 9000f more than enough.

I think I'm all but decided on this now...

Garry

Sounds like you've got a plan! Delta 3200 is one of my 3, and makes roller derby JUST workable with the 67II. Different shots that I might get with 35mm, but it works for me.

Enjoy the big negatives!

Sounds like you've got a plan! Delta 3200 is one of my 3, and makes roller derby JUST workable with the 67II. Different shots that I might get with 35mm, but it works for me.

Enjoy the big negatives!

I believe I do, as pretty as the M3 is, my photography is just heading more in the direction of slower shooting/bigger negs.

Lovely camera. Nothing wrong with it. Would love to have one. Courageous of the manufacturer to actually want to be this business while other long established MF camera makers have dropped out.

Difficult to justify the expense when lots of used MF SLR/RF stuff is going for a song these days. Besides, there's the Moskva 5. Cheeeeeep folding rf 6x9 with 6x6 mask.

The other problem is film and labs. The situation is bad enough with 35mm, it's worse with 120. Many labs have gone digital and outsource their C41 processing. Turnaround can take a week. Having a house full of refrigerated film and paper is no comfort when E6 and C41 goes the way of K14 some day.

Methinks you're very brave giving up 35mm and going into MF now.

Back