my Black Leica M2

Got it. Sorry about that splitimage.
Thank you for all of your replies.
The camera is 1 of 50 & was in storage for +50 years. It's 100% original. I have the purchase paperwork. I took some pictures and the baby is going back to bed lol ;)
I guess we will never see the paperwork and additional pictures. I’m off to the Smartphone thread… :cool:

Because real ones look like I described

I have specifically said
-Brand New M2 M3 M4 Black paint
-Never touched M234 original Black paint
-New old stock M234 black paint

If you ever see a brand new one, never touched, never used, you will be surprised. That paint is matte.
Post the pictures of your two camera side-by-side.

Most people can tell the difference between paint and black chrome.

The M4-2 is a handsome camera.
Thank you! It's the "just right" model for me. It has the simpler M4 viewfinder, the more rugged steel gears in the film transport, and a hotshoe so that I can use a small RF flash trigger on those rare occasions when I need to use a flash. The lack of a self-timer is of no consequence to me. ;)

G

Because real ones look like I described

I have specifically said
-Brand New M2 M3 M4 Black paint
-Never touched M234 original Black paint
-New old stock M234 black paint

If you ever see a brand new one, never touched, never used, you will be surprised. That paint is matte.
The M2/3 original paint is mat, I have owned them. But I can tell the M4 black chrome vs mat black paint

For the OP: welcome to the forum, and sorry about some of the comments made here. Anywhere from sour grapes, envy, etc. And sometimes the worst- someone trying to convince the OP that their piece of equipment may not be authentic, then come in with a low-ball offer. I would take or send your camera to a shop that has expertise with very rare equipment. You can read the varied comments here to judge for yourself good versus bad advice.
I respect you as a fine gentleman, master tech and valuable contributor to this forum. After all, this is an internet forum, people entitle their opinions, the OP is looking for a buyer to sell his/her camera, which bypass the paid classified is not encouraged.

I respect you as a fine gentleman, master tech and valuable contributor to this forum. After all, this is an internet forum, people entitle their opinions, the OP is looking for a buyer to sell his/her camera, which bypass the paid classified is not encouraged.
The OP is new to the forum, and has a rare and valuable camera that would be placed on sale. The OP did not list a desired price, but was basically putting out a Request For Information. That is allowed on this forum. If it had been an "open to best offers", that would not be allowed. That did not occur. Nor do we monitor Private Messages, but do have a posting minimum before they are enabled.

I have been on this forum for 20 years and have supplied information on request, and have answered many "what is my item worth" questions. I've backed the advice up with research and some effort. That is what we do here, and will continue to do so. Black Paint Leica cameras are outside of my field of expertise, but I do know experts in the field.

Last edited:
My opinion only- for anyone with a piece of rare equipment that is currently selling for very high prices: I would sell it.
Overall, prices on the collectible market are way down. 25+ years ago the Japanese collectors market drove prices way up. A Black Nikon SP sold for $25K on auction, and Black Nikon S2- about the same. Lenses were also very high, an outer-mount Nikon 5cm F1.1 went for $12K. The Japanese market for collectibles is basically gone, the generation has died off and those inheriting the equipment not as interested. The result for me: buy up many lenses that could not be touched 20 years ago. Camera body prices, also way down. Except for Leica- which has gone way up. Gone are the days of $70 collapsible Summicrons. Gone are the days of $500 M3 and M2 bodies. No more Canon 50/0.95 for $200. Gone are the days of an M3 with 50/1 Noctilux for $1800. How long this will last, is it another bubble- anybody's guess. I am guessing- this is a bubble. Good time to sell Leica equipment that is fetching a premium.

Last edited:
I have a BP M4 but rarely look at the current prices although there is currently one for sale in the UK.. I guess that the trend will continue in a upward trajectory until the day that they decide to finally discontinue film. Bought mine years ago

I have a BP M4 but rarely look at the current prices although there is currently one for sale in the UK.. I guess that the trend will continue in a upward trajectory until the day that they decide to finally discontinue film. Bought mine years ago
I‘m not sure about the availability of film beeing a factor for extremely expensive and rare photo gear. But I think that it might be a bubble…

I‘m not sure about the availability of film beeing a factor for extremely expensive and rare photo gear. But I think that it might be a bubble…
Collectors don't generally use those cameras, so i don't think film availability will ever be an issue. These days most people carry a smart phone but don't wear a watch, yet sales of expensive boutique watches continues to flourish.

Collectors don't generally use those cameras, so i don't think film availability will ever be an issue. These days most people carry a smart phone but don't wear a watch, yet sales of expensive boutique watches continues to flourish.
Of course you are both correct . Just me being old fashioned.:oops: I`ll give my head a wobble .:)

I think film will be around for a while. I've been giving away film cameras for a while- Pentax ME-Super w 50/1.4, N8008s with zoom, and even Polaroids on request- to members of my Daughter's youth group. There is more interest than one might think. Prices on Leica- out of their range, even 20 years ago. The recipients do quite well with them. The Polaroids are the biggest hit with them. All have cell phone cameras, and use them. One member of the group took the ME-Super with 50/1.4 and 28/2.8 with her on her High-School graduation trip- did well with it, she was very happy. Prices on film cameras are up in general. But not so much that giving them away to start off the next generation is a bad investment.

In the last couple of months, I've picked up some uncommon lenses. Rigid Nikkor 5cm F3.5 in LTM for under $180, EX+ condition, 1200 made. Used to command $1K. First-run 5.8cm F2 Biotar, batch of 300- made just after the 2 prototype lenses. Less than the Nikkor. Are these good investments? Who knows, I do not care. I need to clear off more shelf space for more lenses. And keep better track of them. The 90s saw a Bubble on prices on vintage gear. That bubble burst, to my benefit.

Last edited:
Two currently offered for sale: circa € 30,000 (VAT incl).... circa $26,000 USD (VAT not incl)

Last edited:
Got it. Sorry about that splitimage.
Thank you for all of your replies.
The camera is 1 of 50 & was in storage for +50 years. It's 100% original. I have the purchase paperwork. I took some pictures and the baby is going back to bed lol ;)

Let's see more photos and the purchase paperwork, the box, etc!

I hope the OP returns to this forum. Would be nice to see the box and paperwork that came with this rare camera.

I believe this is a good place to get more useful information.

Not trying to hijack this thread, however, as M2PHOTOS seems to have moved on; here are some pics (from the original auction site sale) of my black repaint M2 I purchased back in 2017.

I haven't blacked out the serial number for privacy purposes: the top plate really doesn't have one. I'm wondering if it's an original replacement top plate from Leica? It would be great to know more about this camera however the owner I bought from was in the dark as to it's origins as am I. It was serviced by DAG (has the "92" pressing in the wax seal) however apparently Dan was unable to shed light on the cameras' origins either.

There is a mismatch in paint on the film counter dial, speed selection dial, hot-shoe and rewind lever which all have a duller finish than the rest of the body so I guess it really is a repaint! If you raise the rewind knob; the tube underneath is also painted black - is that a feature of the original black paint bodies?

It's wonderfully smooth and quiet to use and the dent on the end is cosmetic only and stops me worrying about adding more nicks and scratches with my own use. It's my favourite version of M2 with the button rewind and no self timer. I count myself lucky to own it and it's the closest I will ever get to owning an original.

BlkM2001.jpgBlkM2002.jpgBlkM2003.jpgBlkM2004.jpgBlkM2007.jpg

Not trying to hijack this thread, however, as M2PHOTOS seems to have moved on; here are some pics (from the original auction site sale) of my black repaint M2 I purchased back in 2017.

I haven't blacked out the serial number for privacy purposes: the top plate really doesn't have one. I'm wondering if it's an original replacement top plate from Leica? It would be great to know more about this camera however the owner I bought from was in the dark as to it's origins as am I. It was serviced by DAG (has the "92" pressing in the wax seal) however apparently Dan was unable to shed light on the cameras' origins either.

There is a mismatch in paint on the film counter dial, speed selection dial, hot-shoe and rewind lever which all have a duller finish than the rest of the body so I guess it really is a repaint! If you raise the rewind knob; the tube underneath is also painted black - is that a feature of the original black paint bodies?

It's wonderfully smooth and quiet to use and the dent on the end is cosmetic only and stops me worrying about adding more nicks and scratches with my own use. It's my favourite version of M2 with the button rewind and no self timer. I count myself lucky to own it and it's the closest I will ever get to owning an original.

That looks a lovely user... Keep and use forever!

When I bought the M10-R early in the year, to complement the M10-M and M4-2, I realized that for all intents and purposes my camera buying days are over. Those three bodies with my lenses for them does everything I want a camera to do; my suite of Hasselblad, funky film oddballs, Polaroids, etc, are all just icing on the cake ... for the fun of enjoying equipment differences and the resulting imaging differences.

I hope the OP on this thread finds the information desired and, if sale is still desired, finds a buyer willing to pay a sensible price for his M2 BP.

It is late in the year 2023, a ruinous time in my personal annals, and I'm glad to see it gone. May you all have a Happy New Year and look forward to a wonderful 2024!

G

Back