My Ermanox Journey

Hey Vince, thanks for starting this thread and sharing you journey! Something I'm curious about, since you have basically a early type with 10cm lens and later type with the 8.5cm, which one do you grab the most? Which focal length do you think fits the format best? And while we're here, rendering of the two?

Hey Vince, thanks for starting this thread and sharing you journey! Something I'm curious about, since you have basically a early type with 10cm lens and later type with the 8.5cm, which one do you grab the most? Which focal length do you think fits the format best? And while we're here, rendering of the two?

Depends really, though lately I’ve been using the one with the 8.5cm lens. Part of the reason behind that is the Albada finder, which enables me to stick the camera against my face for composition (like a conventional camera), plus the lens is measured in feet. However, I got so used to using the ‘old’ Ermanox with its Newton finder and lens in metres that I feel like I should be using it more. I like the clarity of the Newton finder, but you have to hold the camera away from your body for proper composition, and sometimes I feel a bit constrained by the 100mm focal length. But really I suppose that one can get used to anything after a while.

I should also point out that the ‘later’ Ermanox weighs about half of what the older one weighs, so it’s a bit kinder to my neck :)

A bit of a messed-up glass plate that I shot earlier this year, but I was able to salvage something marginal out of it.

Gettysburg Ermanox by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Maybe I'm just contrary by nature, but I think that this image is not marginal, and succeeds because of being "messed up". There's an air of mystery that's strongly enhanced by the flaws. I'm reminded of Sally Mann's wet plate work, which makes no attempt at technical perfection, and is much the stronger for it.

Haven't been shooting as much with my Ermanoxes lately -- been distracted by a pair of Hasselblad 1000f's, which are giving me more consistent and reliable results.

Managed all of one shot this past weekend at a Civil War reenactment. Took one shot, then one of my shutter straps broke. Ah well.

Ermanox with the 85/1.8, Ilford Pan F 127.

Cedar Creek15
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Haven't been shooting as much with my Ermanoxes lately -- been distracted by a pair of Hasselblad 1000f's, which are giving me more consistent and reliable results.

Managed all of one shot this past weekend at a Civil War reenactment. Took one shot, then one of my shutter straps broke. Ah well.

Ermanox with the 85/1.8, Ilford Pan F 127.

Cedar Creek15
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

I think the Ermanox was punishing you for your little fling with the Hasselblads. You can't play the field and expect that there won't be consequences!

You did that with the Italian made system? Is it difficult to use?

Yes that’s the one. It is in fact a bit tricky to use and I did screw up some films the first time I used it following his instructions, but I figured out a few little tricks to make it better.

I think the Ermanox was punishing you for your little fling with the Hasselblads. You can't play the field and expect that there won't be consequences!

Entirely possible! Unfortunately I’m looking at a 1600f so I hope the 1000f’s don’t punish me for that.

Trying to get back to it -- this one is from a few months ago on one of our many nature walks. With the 100/2 and Ilford Pan F 127, added a bit of colour just because. I wish there was a bit more room on the right, but overall I don't think it's too hateful. Hoping to pay a bit more attention to the Ermanoxes in the coming months.

Spring Walk Riley Colorized
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

An image from a Civil War reenactment I forgot about. I'm liking this colorization stuff - mostly I'm doing it myself, but sometimes I do try the 'neural' filter in PhotoShop just to see what it comes up with. Sometimes it can be pretty heavy-handed and I find I'll have to back it off a fair bit. This one was done with the 'neural filter' and backed off by about 1/3 (interesting that it recognizes sky, ground and faces), while the previous image I did by 'hand' (with the paint brush tool set at about 10% opacity). The colorization is a nice alternative to using colour film, assuming it works with the subject matter.

Cedar Creek14 by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Cedar Creek14 Colorized by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back