My first images with a Leica M10

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
1:01 PM
I finally decided to use my recently bought Leica M10. (Thank you Brad H). I got a 32GB card for the M10. I formatted it in the M10, of course. I attached the Leica strap to the "naked" M10. One day I will receive from Luigi a half case. He promised it.

I decided on a "classic" lens for a start, so I grabbed the Pentax-M 50/1.4 as I have many photos with it and the M8 and M9. My M10 is set up for reasonable menu settings. I often set my camera to Auto exposure, taking into account the light around me. There are 65 images uploaded to my smugmug account, without any alterations with PS or LR. For some reason, there were hundreds of birds outside Joe Patti's Seafood this morning. Could be migrating birds? With such light, the old Ultron 50/2 in QBM mount would also have been very nice to use. It gives awesome "blues".

Using the M10 is very easy since all settings are basic and similar to what I am used to in my M8 and M9. The image files are larger. I had the continuous photo taking setting to slow c.

The link: https://raid.smugmug.com/Leica-M10-Pentax-M-50mm-14/

PNTX50MM-%20%283%20of%2065%29-5K.jpg

PNTX50MM-%20%281%20of%2065%29-X3.jpg

PNTX50MM-%20%2823%20of%2065%29-X3.jpg

PNTX50MM-%20%2842%20of%2065%29-X3.jpg

PNTX50MM-%20%2828%20of%2065%29-X3.jpg

Your feedback is welcome.

Reactions: RS2
Very nice Raid. I especially like the composition and colors in the 3rd image.

Hi Raid,

Congrats on your M10. It sounds and looks like it is an easy transition for you from M8, M9. I particularly like #2 and #5 here, and with #5 it might be fun to see in B&W but I like the subtle color as you have here. Your colors in all are looking natural and seem easy to "land" with the M10. I have to remind myself with processing my DNG files to pretty much lay back and let the camera handle it :)

David

Thanks.
I let the Leica pick the right colors and rendition most of the time. Seeing the M10 images now, I am not as much concernd as I was when I first used an M240 (comparing color images with those by my M9).

Thanks.
I let the Leica pick the right colors and rendition most of the time. Seeing the M10 images now, I am not as much concernd as I was when I first used an M240 (comparing color images with those by my M9).

I know what you mean coming to the M240 from the M9. I came to the M262 only recently and was "prejudiced" on the M240 series coming from M9 because of what I'd read, and that it came with "live view" video and so on. Handling finally a 262 I really loved the feel and shutter immediately, so I figured I'd deal with the "color" issue which frankly has not been a big deal!

David

Probably not a favorable opinion, but I think the newer digital Leicas have become more and more bland and same-y in comparison to the more common digital cameras. I doubt there is much of a difference between what you get out of the M10 vs. any Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc. camera. Perhaps that's not a problem for some, or even a benefit, but while I have since parted with my M9 I at least felt it had a bit of a "signature" look different from my Nikons. Obviously in the past we had tons of film stocks to choose from so I'm not sure mostly identical imaging characteristics can be spun to be a "positive" attribute. On the other hand, the Leica cameras are still the one and only true digital "rangefinder" so that does count for something.

Probably not a favorable opinion, but I think the newer digital Leicas have become more and more bland and same-y in comparison to the more common digital cameras. I doubt there is much of a difference between what you get out of the M10 vs. any Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc. camera. Perhaps that's not a problem for some, or even a benefit, but while I have since parted with my M9 I at least felt it had a bit of a "signature" look different from my Nikons. Obviously in the past we had tons of film stocks to choose from so I'm not sure mostly identical imaging characteristics can be spun to be a "positive" attribute. On the other hand, the Leica cameras are still the one and only true digital "rangefinder" so that does count for something.

I choose my lenses very carefully, and I try to let lenses control the way images are being rendered by my M8, M9, and M10. My only DSLR, a Nikon D700 broke down with damaged smart card connection pins. I am with my digital Leica RF cameras for now. You pay more for RF and for being a Leica camera. It is like buying an exotic car. Is it "worth it"? Only the owner knows the answer.

I will, Robert. Thank you. I love natural colors and nothing special. I was able this morning to try shooting quickly back to back snapshots. This is impossible to do with the M9 or M8 without the buffer freezing up or killing the battery.

I know what you mean coming to the M240 from the M9. I came to the M262 only recently and was "prejudiced" on the M240 series coming from M9 because of what I'd read, and that it came with "live view" video and so on. Handling finally a 262 I really loved the feel and shutter immediately, so I figured I'd deal with the "color" issue which frankly has not been a big deal!

David

I agree, David. There is no need to be so picky that the colors must be as with the M9, say. It is a digital camera after all, and we have ways to adjust the colors.

Hi Raid. First let me also congratulate you on acquiring the M10. Functionally its a very different camera in so many ways compared to the M9. It's early in your use, but I can already see the image signature of these images compared to similar ones taken with your M9 are very different...more neutral and a bit more subdued. Of course in time you'll put your own finishing touches on image output and lets not forget what we see is also related to lens selection besides which digital M is being used.

As time goes on, I'd be interested to hear of your own personal perspective of the M`10 image output (it's look etc.) compared to your M9. By the way, the B&W conversion looks excellent and that image with the birds on the pier is much stronger in B&W than color, in my opinion.

Finally it's obvious why there were so many birds that day. Word had gotten around that Raid is bringing a new Leica to the scene and all the birds far and wide had to come see it and participate in its public unveiling :) Obviously they crowded in as seen. :)

Dave (D&A)

ha ha ha!

Thanks, Dave.

Many years ago when I was a student at Virginia Tech. I used to take photos of Duck Pond in Blacksburg (Virginia). They had some birds in the pond. I would use my Canon AE1 then. I sent such photos to my parents back home. One day, my father wrote me: "Son, we now know each bird well. Stop wasting photos on birds". Now when I go to Joe Patti's Seafood, I tell my family that the birds know me well!

I set my M10 for DNG files. ISO=200 for the Florida sunshine almost each day. In the M9 and M8 is use ISO=160. I read somewhere that ISO=200 is the true minimum ISO for the M10. I set the M10 to A exposure, and I meter from the ground where I think the light is "average". Then I take the setting off A and set the shutter speed. The aperture is set before this. For a landscape, I often use 8.0~11.0.

I agree, David. There is no need to be so picky that the colors must be as with the M9, say. It is a digital camera after all, and we have ways to adjust the colors.

I agree, it is easier with software now to make adjustments depending on what camera we might use, or lens for that matter. I am trying to back off a tendency I have over-saturating colors or trying to use color to enhance drama in an image. I guess I come about it from an attraction to rich color and high saturation photography of Ernst Haas and William Albert Allard as well as some dye transfer prints that made an impression that stayed with me.

David

I either leave everything as is, or I add a little amount of contrast and a little amount of saturation. Usually, this is all I see as needed. I do not use any fancy digital improvements in my images. I am used to slide film in which exposure is very critical. Wait for the right light. Keep it all simple.

ha ha ha!

Thanks, Dave.

Many years ago when I was a student at Virginia Tech. I used to take photos of Duck Pond in Blacksburg (Virginia). They had some birds in the pond. I would use my Canon AE1 then. I sent such photos to my parents back home. One day, my father wrote me: "Son, we now know each bird well. Stop wasting photos on birds". Now when I go to Joe Patti's Seafood, I tell my family that the birds know me well!

A very touching story Raid. I'm in Central Va. And haven't been to Blacksburg in a long time but next time I go, I'll have to look for that pond. Descendants of the original birds may have passed on the story of that photographer who came often to photograph their relatives.

For work I'm in the D.C. area and often stop at the National Zoo to photograph the wildlife. So often did I do that, I was certain many of the animals recognized me and reacted accordingly. :). That was of course with a DSLR or film SLR and long lens but many times have captured historical events in D.C. with the rangefinder.

I agree with your other post that it's easy to get carried away with post processing and change the look of the original scene. A little goes a long way as they say.

Dave (D&A)

P.S. Raid, I too used to get lectured by my dad as to why I took so many pics, especially of the same scene or subject. Some things are universal. :).

Dave (D&A)

Back