My first images with a Leica M10

I went today inside the Joe Patti fish market to take some photos with the Hologon at ISO 4000 with the M10.

L1005113%20copy-X3.jpg

L1005112%20copy-X3.jpg

L1005111%20copy-X3.jpg

Life is too short not to try it, Godfrey.
Thanks.

I'm going to take the 907x + Voigtländer 10mm for a walk, but I wanted to get a feel for what my post-crop FoV would be like. So I shot a test sequence with the XCD65, XCD21, and then the V10 to compare...

XCD65: This is the normal lens for the format. I focused on the pattern in the right-most pillow, focus setting is ~ 6' 9".

51731622081_473fe0a235_h.jpg

XCD21: This is the widest native lens for the format.

51732276504_8b8d96600c_h.jpg

Voigtländer HyperWide 10mm: This is a lens designed to cover FF 35mm format, in Leica M-mount, adapted to the 907x with a Fotodiox Pro mount adapter. The first image below has been cropped to within the lens's vignetting on the 33x44mm format.

51732514075_806c53b5ab_h.jpg

... and this second image with it shows the full image captured on the sensor. The vignetting "teeth" at the top, bottom, and sides are the 10mm lens's built-in lens shade stubs...

51732276489_18f965e056_h.jpg

From this I can see that the 10mm lens, even cropped to avoid the vignetting, offers a substantial gain in FoV coverage compared to the XCD 21mm. And it is remarkable how rectilinear, sharp, and crisp it is right to the edges.

No image processing was applied to any of these images other than bringing up the exposure by 1EV and spotting out one ugly looking sensor dust spot. No lens profiles of any sort were applied.

G

This is very impressive, Godfrey. Do you feel as if the 10mm perspective to too wide? It could be the cure for using a Hologon.

This is very impressive, Godfrey. Do you feel as if the 10mm perspective to too wide? It could be the cure for using a Hologon.

I'm not sure what "too wide" is, other than wider than I can visualize in a rectilinear fashion. It always takes me a little while to get my vision seeing in ultra wide, even with the SWC or, on the 907x, the XCD 21mm lens. Once my brain is there, I find ways to use the extreme view .. But as long as I take the time to get oriented to it, I don't think there's any such thing as too wide.

There might be something in "too wide to be practical" for most uses, but we are already talking extremes even with the SWC and the XCD 21mm. :)

How wide is too wide? I dunno, it's all what you make of it.

Me & My Bicycle - San Jose, Feb 1, 2020
iPhone 11 Pro, Moment camera app

:D

G

Raid, the Hologon works great with the M10! Surprising on a digital camera. I love the b+w too.

Erik.
Thank you Erik.

Using the same lens on the M9 gives purple smearing at the edges, but the M10 does better. Must be improved electronics - so-called micro-lenses?

BTW: the Hologon produces some lovely photos for you, Raid! You have a great eye with it. :D

G

Thank you Godfrey. I use this lens once in a while. My back-up is the Rigid Summicron on the M9 for normal looking images.

I'm not sure what "too wide" is, other than wider than I can visualize in a rectilinear fashion. It always takes me a little while to get my vision seeing in ultra wide, even with the SWC or, on the 907x, the XCD 21mm lens. Once my brain is there, I find ways to use the extreme view .. But as long as I take the time to get oriented to it, I don't think there's any such thing as too wide.

There might be something in "too wide to be practical" for most uses, but we are already talking extremes even with the SWC and the XCD 21mm. :)

How wide is too wide? I dunno, it's all what you make of it.

Me & My Bicycle - San Jose, Feb 1, 2020
iPhone 11 Pro, Moment camera app

:D

G

Of course, you are right here. There is no lens too wide. It takes some time for me too before my mind is ready of a lens 21mm and wider. With Hologon there is the extra limitation of a fixed aperture at 8 and then the loss of light when using the special ND filter. The lens becomes effectively a lens with aperture 16. It is reasonable to use high ISO for high impact B&W images. On the M8, the Hologon shows a 21mm perspective without hardly any color shifts.

Our daily Cappuccino stop at JP continued today. We each get a cup of Cappuccino from Bodacious Brew first, and we drink it and east some pastry while enjoying the views at JP.

L1005134%20copy-X3.jpg

L1005136%20copy-X3.jpg

L1005138%20copy-X3.jpg

L1005142%20copy-X3.jpg

L1005143%20copy-X3.jpg

I have noticed that in some images the Hologon brings out fine details that I do not get with any of my other lenses. Take the image before the last, above.

There is indeed magic to be made in the darkroom but that is not the subject here. How do the raw images differ? That's the question. I, and most others, see differences between CCD and CMOS sensors. I would opine that the lens would tweak what the sensor can do. But I am a LibArts major and we know little other than, "Do you want fries with that?"

I was a theatre major and wound up a reporter/photographer, so a lot of my opineing comes from POOMA U!

IMO, it's the lens, not the sensor that give a photo its character.

There is an old adage which could be applied here: "If you have six photographers you have twelve opinions." The relationship between the lens and the sensor is a variable, not an absolute so there is a lot of wiggle room. I'd opt for the both being important and that there are also some divine combinations. I am currently charmed with the Canon 50mm LTM f/1.8, recommended by a member, on an M9 and soon on an A7M III, also.

And just what is POOMA U?

Back