My take on this Fuji Pro Mumbo Jumbo...

Regarding the aperture "chatter" -- maybe I'm going deaf at the tender age of 47 or there is enough background noise in my environment, but quite frankly, I really haven't noticed this issue. I can say that overall, the X-Pro is quieter than the M8 that I used to own.

Nice user review Dave. I appreciate your "groundedness" in sharing your thoughts and experiences. And looking forward to reading about your experiences with the adapter when you get it.

-Randy

Thanks Dave,

I'm quite curious about this camera, so your thoughts are appreciated. Fuji always seems to try interesting things with their cameras. I have the X-10, and it's pretty good.

I did have a short time to play with the X-Pro1at the Fuji event in Toronto a few week ago. Hopefully Fuji will correct the "cropped view" frame lines and I read somewhere that they are working on improving the AF speed. I look forward to your experiences with the M mount adaptor.

P.S.
Sadly, I see I missed Float Your Fanny Down the Ganny this year!

Sam

Thanks for the user review. Have to say, Im just not impressed with what comes out of the X-Pro. Nothing wrong with your images. But I have a feeling they all would strike more on film or "full frame" digital.

Thanks for the review. I liked the PE shout out.
I wonder how much better the Xpro1 will be if Fuji follows the same approach to firmware updates as they did for the x100.

Aperture blades

Aperture blades

Use the Optical View Finder, and turn off the live view screen, this seems to stop the aperture blades clicking it also and cuts out the noise the camera makes when switching between the optical view finder and EVF.
Floyd

Thanks Dave

Pretty thoughtfully put together informal initial review that is very useful. Had a chance to play with one today and finally got to hear the chatter. Heard it then promptly forgot it was there. The size reminded me of a Yashica GSN or Nikon FM for some reason and that is not bad at all. I have big mitts and it is comfortable to hold. The OVF and EVF seem fine to me, I could use either. My initial impression was that I don't see anything that would immediately stop me from buying it except cash availability or lack there of. Going to have to check it out further.

Bob

Use the Optical View Finder, and turn off the live view screen, this seems to stop the aperture blades clicking it also and cuts out the noise the camera makes when switching between the optical view finder and EVF.
Floyd

Now that is interesting. I usually only use the LCD screen for chimping anyway. Thanks for the tip, filed for latter reference.

Bob

Hello Dave,

Thanks for your thoughts. I just picked mine up 2 days ago and have been figuring out all the idiosyncrasies. I had previously owned an X100 so it hasn’t been a huge leap.

I pretty much agree with what you have said. Ultimately as long as the XP1 doesn’t operationally hinder me it’s all about the images. The images are crazy good, and low light is insanely clean.

The X100 made some mighty fine shots, but I believe the finer degree of control, the new sensor, and the interchangeable lenses make this a game changer. I also own a Leica M9. There are times when it will make more sense and times when the XP1 will be in my bag. I’m just not sure that if I carried both that I might not be like a mule between two bales of hay and not be able to decide which to use and miss the shot.

Your “casual” shots are well done. I particularly like the drug store.

regards,

Alex

Dave,

Have you enabled the 'corrected AF frame' in the menu for the OVF? If you haven't, that may be why your AF has been missing.

Thanks for posting your thoughts Dave, nice synopsis. Looking forward to having my hands on one shortly.

On the aperture chatter issue...I had a Pentax K-01 over the weekend and it does the exact same thing. Annoying but I soon forgot about it when I saw the killer IQ the thing produced. I suspect using the X-Pro1 will be the same.

Speaking of which...I got the chattering to stop while street shooting by walking with the camera/lens pointed towards my black jacket.

+1 works for me

Floyd

We should get our shipment at the shop tomorrow, we should have enough that I can put one out to demo, i'll see how using the optical finder affects the chatter, and how loud it gets. Can't wait to get my hands on one! (at least I can try it out a bit, even if I can't quite swing one for myself right now...:))

-Brian

Presumably you have worked on full-sized files, or seen prints etc rather than basing this opinion on small jpegs on websites?

Thanks for the user review. Have to say, Im just not impressed with what comes out of the X-Pro. Nothing wrong with your images. But I have a feeling they all would strike more on film or "full frame" digital.

Back