My take on this Fuji Pro Mumbo Jumbo...

My Initial Thoughts

My Initial Thoughts

I picked up the XP1 with a 35/1.4 lens today. I played with it indoors and outdoors for a bit before charging the battery.

The XP1 is a significant improvement over the X100 in just about every way. The exception is the battery/SDHC card The control buttons and switches have a high-quality feel. The camera is certainly well-balanced with the 35 mm lens i was surprised that lens seemed shorter than it appeared in photos. My initial impression is the lens build quality is on a par with Nikon's newest F mount offerings. Even though the aperture ring is just an electronic switch, the detents are crisp. It's nice to have 1/3 stops again. The camera feels balanced with the lens. Maybe more so than I remember with the ZI-M and the Biogon 35/2.

AF is improved over the X100. I just installed 1.21 firmware about half an hour before I got the call. So my comparison is based on the X100 at it's best. The biggest surprise is the 35/1.4 manual focus collar. The feel and performance is a major improvement. The focus zoom is almost too high for my shaky hands, but it improves manual focusing accuracy for sure.

Anyway, I have three days to play with the camera without interruption.

Right now I am very pleased. The camera and lens fits in my trusty Mountainsmith small shoulder bag.

So we got ours in at work a couple days ago... my thoughts: Easier to figure out than the X100 was, focus about the same, but a little easier to deal with in the OVF (corrected AF frame enabled), and the high-iso shots are nothing less than amazing! And it is way, way lighter than it looks like it should be, but very comfortable in the hand.
Nice camera, probably as close to a digital contax G2 as we might see right now, but with a nicer viewfinder. :)
-Brian

The XP1 is a significant improvement over the X100 in just about every way. The exception is the battery/SDHC card The control buttons and switches have a high-quality feel. The camera is certainly well-balanced with the 35 mm lens i was surprised that lens seemed shorter than it appeared in photos.

I have to agree. I really like it a lot. I feel the AF locks more positively on your subject. While the build quality of the lenses cannot compare to m mount glass from any manufacturer, they feel on par with similarly priced AF SLR lenses. It feels good in my hand and just feels a lot more mature than the X100. This feels like a digital G finally. My X100 will be relagated to P&S status at this point.

Back