NEW Airplane DSLR on board policy?

haring

Established
Local time
4:42 PM
What is your experience with the new Airplane DSLR on board policy for certain airliners which fly towards middle east, etc.

I am flying to Europe via Turkey with Turkish Airlines. As per the new security policy, I can't have my DSLR, laptops in possession. They keep everything in a bag and will be given back to the passengers at the end of the flight.

What is your experience? Do they take the DSLR with all the lenses or they take the body only and I can keep the lenses in my carry on bag? Obviously, I want to give them less as possible.

Please share your experience!

Thanks!

I thought digi was the answer to x rays & film. It never ends.

Naturally people are going to help themselves to your valuables behind closed doors.

Ship air freight ahead. Stay home and take your car.

As of today, not all countries in Europe are banning electronic devices from flights. The UK ban specifies some countries, which does include Turkey.

Are you flying to the UK? When you say via Turkey, are you changing planes in Turkey?

The UK parameters: nothing bigger than 16cm (6.3ins) long, 9.3cm (3.6ins) wide or 1.5cm (0.6ins) deep will be allowed into the cabin. Lenses would exceed at least one dimension of those parameters so they would not be allowed in a cabin, again, IF you are flying to the UK and IF you are de-planing in Turkey.

Best news today! I only have to worry when I come back from Turkey! :)

As of today, the proposed US travel ban is still with the US Supreme Court, which may rule on it tomorrow, Monday, 26-June. So, you may have to to worry about it on your return... or you may not.

As of today, the proposed US travel ban is still with the US Supreme Court, which may rule on it tomorrow, Monday, 26-June. So, you may have to to worry about it on your return... or you may not.

The travel ban may be in the courts, but the restrictions on any electronic device larger than a cell phone are something else entirely. Im returning via Dubai in August, am expecting to have my cameras taken away for the flight.

Now they are testing having one remove all books and food from any carry on bag in addition to a laptop. Makes traveling with film seem simple. Tho I suppose trying to explain that a Leica Standard isn't an electronic device could land one in shackles...

I would avoid such airlines until their countries have some stability and reasonable levels of security. I made such an error two years ago as we took a flight to Europe via Turkey. Just a few days after we left Istanbul airport, the same waiting room where we were in that airport was blown up by some terrorists. I switched to other airlines afterwards.

I would avoid such airlines until their countries have some stability and reasonable levels of security.

Most people that I know here in Europe are avoiding all but essential travel to the US for precisely that reason.

It is pretty depressing to see the direction that the US and UK have taken, and the paranoia that is gripping western governments. Both countries have endured significantly worse than the current threats without needing to resort to the current levels of paranoia.

Get a grip, your chances of fatality with any car journey is far far greater than being involved in a terror incident, have you given up car journeys?

Think of it as a seat belt then. :p

I understand Europe and the UK scoffing at the US "security" measures to this point. It has been a PIA and ridicules at times.
What Europe is about to see in increased "security" will far surpass the US. More than just my opinion.
Folks are better off to find a way to accept the realities of the times we live in.

There may be relief coming soon.
TSA is testing using CT scan technology to speed up the process.
Liquids and electronics could then pass without extra scrutiny.
There is no doubt security is an accessory industry to travel now. It's here to stay.

....What is your experience? Do they take the DSLR with all the lenses or they take the body only and I can keep the lenses in my carry on bag? Obviously, I want to give them less as possible.

No experience, but if I were a betting man, I think a lot will vary from airline to airline as to how this is implemented. Call ahead, ask questions, don't get an attitude, it's for everyone's safety. Check with different airlines if you don't like the answer.

If this is work, not sure about your tax codes, but ship them via FedEx and take it as a loss to the job.

I like the question about lenses as you should be able to see through them. They should be cool. Perhaps just ship one body over ahead in case something happens to the ones you no longer can carry. What about switching to mirrorless or RF? I wonder how they are handled? Could you carry an digital Leica and say three lenses?

Once again, the world has changed and much of it we can't control.

Safe travels, let us know how you make out.

B2 (;->

DSLR is airline speak for camera. Mirrorless & Leica RF will be included.

Was about to ask what was known re: terminology. Thinking they will likely implement "camera" as the ban, to avoid any questions. This does make me wonder if my lenses can stay in my bag. Not that I'm going to fight them when they take everything, just wondering what my insurance company might argue when I report stolen items...

I recently flew Emirates from Dubai to JFK. The Emirates people clearly stated anything with a battery will have to go in the hold. ANYTHING. The only exception was a smartphone. They got confused with my Rolleiflex and it took an officer who was familiar with them to allow it on board with me. Otherwise, it would have gone in the hold as well.

On a positive note, Emirates had a wonderful system in place to counter the situation. They offered individual boxes that were given priority over all other luggage and that you can pick up from a separate desk (not the conveyor belt with regular luggage).

To anyone who has to deal with this ridiculous situation go prepared. I had several small pelican cases that fit my cameras and that went into my backpack. If the airline people made me place them in the personalised box (it's just a cardboard box). My gear would have been protected by the Pelican. The only issue would be theft, which seemed unlikely considering the precautions they were taking. However, it is a possibility. Don't take the kitchen sink with you and get insurance

Garbage policy that offers no actual security? Yup, that's the US.

Considering explosives can fit in shoes and underwear, NOT GARBAGE.

Latest is taking battery from laptop, replacing it with small one so you can demonstrate it works, then using the void for new powerful explosives.

Then I am looking forward to the US banning all shoes and underwear on future flights! Maybe they should ban all clothes too and require all passengers to undergo a body cavity examination - it would obviously be much safer.

Seriously, nothing is without risk. It is where you draw the line - and why - that matters.

Back