NEW Airplane DSLR on board policy?

Considering explosives can fit in shoes and underwear, NOT GARBAGE.

Latest is taking battery from laptop, replacing it with small one so you can demonstrate it works, then using the void for new powerful explosives.

Considering the TSA has a 95% failure rate in detecting banned materials and substances, yes it is a garbage policy. I'll wait for your facts and not feelings to explain why another policy with no teeth and one that introduces other issues is still a good idea and not garbage.

Explain to me why putting the devices in cargo holds (still having the potential to act as explosive devices) is a better option...

The US is filled with a-holes who are afraid of their own dumb-ass shadows. Bunch of whiny babies.

I'll wait here for your stats. (they don't exist but I'll wait anyways.)

Considering the TSA has a 95% failure rate in detecting banned materials and substances, yes it is a garbage policy. I'll wait for your facts and not feelings to explain why another policy with no teeth and one that introduces other issues is still a good idea and not garbage.

Explain to me why putting the devices in cargo holds (still having the potential to act as explosive devices) is a better option...

The US is filled with a-holes who are afraid of their own dumb-ass shadows. Bunch of whiny babies.

I'll wait here for your stats. (they don't exist but I'll wait anyways.)

He needs to take off his tin hat first lol

As of today, the proposed US travel ban is still with the US Supreme Court, which may rule on it tomorrow, Monday, 26-June. So, you may have to to worry about it on your return... or you may not.

The Muslim travel ban before the Supreme Court has nothing to do with the laptop ban that was instituted by the US and the UK. The US laptop ban applies (among others) to Turkish Airlines flights to the US from Ataturk Airport. Anecdotal reports of travelers flying from the Gulf airports subject to the laptop ban indicate that camera bodies and electronic items go into the hold, but that you're allowed to take lenses in carry-on baggage. Haven't heard what Turkish is doing in that regard.

Efforts by the US to extend the laptop ban to other countries (the UK and Europe) have been stymied by objections from the ICAO and European safety authorities, who point out the idiocy of concentrating a critical mass of lithium-ion batteries in the baggage hold, where it is nearly impossible to extinguish a lithium batt fire.

The travel ban may be in the courts, but the restrictions on any electronic device larger than a cell phone are something else entirely. Im returning via Dubai in August, am expecting to have my cameras taken away for the flight. ..

Yup, I was and am completely aware they are different. Not sure why I conflated the two issues. I guess senility is starting to set in. :(

Considering explosives can fit in shoes and underwear, NOT GARBAGE.

Latest is taking battery from laptop, replacing it with small one so you can demonstrate it works, then using the void for new powerful explosives.

Some of us might just remember that news item about the laptop bursting into flames (and the clip of it) and would wonder why you need go to all the bother of getting explosives, etc, etc.

Regards, David

The threats are real. In WWII the Nazis sent exactly 10 terrorists to the US, to blow up things. The first 8 were caught, tried and, 6 electrocuted quickly. None of that happens today, and there are probably hundreds if not thousands of people every month ready to blow people up, in airports if they can. Yeah, the chances of being a target are small....but are increasing. We try to give everyone extensive "rights" like bringing whatever they want on a plane, even if once in a while it may cause everyone on the plane to die.

The threats are real. The risks are very low, but the consequences are catastrophic. Low probability events happen. The technologies to screen passengers and cargo are constantly being improved. The introduction of these technologies is too slow.

As lithium-ion batter size increases, the potential for catastrophe increases. Circuitry intended to cause a direct short circuit would induce thermal runaway. Li-ion batterie in thermal runaway produce tremendous fires. BTW: purchasing the cheapest LI-ion batteries for ambiguous sources is truly false economy.

Batteries could be replaced with explosives built to resemble the X-ray profile of a Li-ion battery.

TSA security often resembles theatre rather than purposeful security. The TSA relies on unpredictability as a means to reduce risk (terrorists can't predict TSA behavior). This is how come my 88 year old, wheel-chair bound mother had her rubber knee brace swabbed for explosives. This is how come my 5 year old grandson had his flip-flops swabbed for explosives.

By contrast, air-travel security in Israel is not theatre. But is is much more inconvenient compared to the TSA.

Hi,

Re: Willie 901's Comment; "BTW: purchasing the cheapest LI-ion batteries for ambiguous sources is truly false economy."

I seem to remember that the third contact in batteries and chargers was for a small thermocouple to - obviously - cut-out when the thing started to overheat. Don't they fit them these days or do the cheap ones leave them out?

Regards, David

Hi,

Re: Willie 901's Comment; "BTW: purchasing the cheapest LI-ion batteries for ambiguous sources is truly false economy."

I seem to remember that the third contact in batteries and chargers was for a small thermocouple to - obviously - cut-out when the thing started to overheat. Don't they fit them these days or do the cheap ones leave them out?

Regards, David

I don't know.

The introduction sections in this document may answer your question.

Back