New C41 Film

splitimageview

coincidence rangefinder
Staff member
Local time
6:26 PM

Yeah, got an email from Freestyle so ordered 2 rolls to try it. One for the F4 & one for the S2 ;)

Kudos to Harman for getting into the C-41 game, but I'll pass on this version 1.0 stuff. I'm sure later versions will be more to my liking.

Jim B.

Wonderful news for everyone in the analog community! Now how about a new color transparency film for the six of us, worldwide, who still shoot color reversal? Not gonna hold my breath on that one...

Some user samples here: (kinda' funky colors)

It is so great to see someone embarking on the color film manufacturing journey. The elephant in the room is that the film just does not look very good. Low dynamic range, very grainy, colors look a little off. Reminds me of long-expired consumer film, which is a little rough at that price point.

Nevertheless, I really hope it succeeds, that Harman can earn some money with it to fund more R&D and refinement of the process. As an aside, it also gives me a whole new appreciation of the quality film Kodak are putting out.

....The elephant in the room is that the film just does not look very good. Low dynamic range, very grainy, colors look a little off. Reminds me of long-expired consumer film, which is a little rough at that price point......
I agree. This version 1.0 stuff reminds of the oddball C-41 emulsions Lomography often sells (like Metropolis 400). I hope Harman eventually can produce a high quality product.

Jim B.

That would explain the similarity to some of the fugly Lomo film. At least it's not ECN-2 stuff though, that alone is a big win to me.

I'm hoping demand will be sufficient to keep them working on better emulsions than this one, though it looks like it might be acceptable for landscape work. I wouldn't want to use it for portraits, though, from what I've seen of it scanned so far.

The sample images in Freestyle's website look pretty impressive to me. I won't be giving up Kodak or Fuji, but I'll definitely be using some Harmon 200.

It is said to be a clone of a film originally made by Svema in the Soviet Union. Not old stock; Harman made this in their factory in England, but they used the Svema formula.
Just saw the data sheet info over at phototrio. That's really ... interesting color film shall we say. It will be interesting to play with my couple of rolls but honestly I hope the next batch is a little more typically western an emulsion.

Just saw the data sheet info over at phototrio. That's really ... interesting color film shall we say. It will be interesting to play with my couple of rolls but honestly I hope the next batch is a little more typically western an emulsion.
Me too, but formulating colour films is not a trvial thing, and I doubt Kodak or Fuji are sharing, and I am certain that a new formulation is beyond the scope of Ilford’s team without substantial recruitment, expensive R&D and some, how shall I put it?, robust discussions with raw material suppliers.

I’ll give this a go if I can source some without paying more for the shipping than the film.

200 speed film is usually such a compromise. Not as punchy for daylight like 100 and not really usable indoors in available light like 400 + fast lenses. That being said, the 200 speed film that Kodak has been producing for Fujifilm is pretty uninteresting and imho not as good as the Japan produced X-Tra 400. I want to check this stuff out to see how it compares to the Kodak-Fuji 200 but $13/roll is pretty steep

Back