New C41 Film

I told them but I don't think they adjusted for it, so it just ended up overexposed. This was the second roll they'd seen - first was earlier the same day. I am shooting the second roll at box and trying to be more careful about the exposures.

oversaturated, overcontrasted, terribly grainy, I like it!

with Olympus XA, home developed with tetenal c41

XCCMb0EY_o.jpg

dWXfHcQC_o.jpg

eds308GG_o.jpg

I'm looking forward to try next iterations of this film, and paying 15$ per roll so they can pay for more R&D without some kickstarter BS is a fair deal for me.

zcEjyRe.jpg
I am in complete agreement with this sentiment. Nice shot, takes good advantage of this iteration too, I think.

There was a comment above about how poorly Kodak C-41 films handled Asian skin tones. In the 70’s my Kodak commercial rep (TSR) said that both Kodak and Fuji had different formulations for Asian skin tones. Kodak did it by reducing the yellow saturation and Fuji did it by adding a little extra magenta to warm up the yellow biased skin tones.

I know with E-6 film since I used thousands of rolls and sheets yearly that Fuji had a little extra magenta and Agfa 50 and 100 transparency films were biased to the warm side due to European and Scandinavian skin being more pale. In the 80’s and 90’s Kodak offered neutral, warm tone and vivid E-6 transparency films. The warm was about like an 81A added to the neutral and the vivid was a couple of clicks less than Velvia but much more neutral. Skin tones were beautiful on these films.

Last edited:
Interesting. That was my comment as it was the problem I had after we adopted our child from Vietnam. I loved how Fuji Reala showed him but Kodak films never were as good. This is informative.

You really can’t pull C-41 very well. It’s designed to go the full development time and results are less than optimal if reduced. Exposure has more impact on color saturation and contrast than development. As you can see over exposure gives some bold negs which are pretty interesting. I don’t know if I’d do it as a routine but sort of like the effect. It reminds me a little of cross processing E-6 in C-41 chemistry.

Attachments

• Cross process Old City D.jpeg
    Cross process Old City D.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Cross process Old City B2.jpeg
    Cross process Old City B2.jpeg
    280.6 KB · Views: 3
Back