New fad with Konica AA-35/Recorder?

btgc

Mentor
Local time
2:23 PM
Today this one sold on ebay for incredible 140 pounds (160391179884), what I have missed - Lomography.com started to push them?

Today I also sold mine for 7 times less, just because I didn't use it and so I freed some time for better (in my understanding) cameras. Not that I feel sorry, no - simply I paid such money for Konica III and repair trip to Greg Weber. One Konica retired respecting another Konica.

ebay gambling is like like weather - you think you can predict it, but there are surprises, aren't they?

Wow, that is expensive! I've always been curious about that camera, but not that curious. How did you like yours? I've heard they have a very sharp lens. The camera appears to be very "pocketable" too.

-Dave

Lens is rather wide for typical HF - about 35mm eq. I haven't shot special sharpness tests, though lens is quite nice. Consider it as daylight camera because of max aperture f4, speed range 1/60 - 1/250, ISO range 100-400. It's slim, too - as thick as just to accumulate film canister.

Konica did great job there, as usually, built quality isn't too cheesy, one flaw I saw is plastic post for upper screw on moving part - connected to body only at half of it's square and breaks off easily if someone unaware touches screw.
I'd make also secure wires better from bending and breaking in moving part.

Shape without anything protruding makes it pocketable and nice to feel in hand.

I have manual half-frame Yashica, that's why I let Konica go. And I have yet some automatic P&S cameras, all very good so I will not miss it in practical terms.

Last edited:
140 pounds?! I got mine (the version called "Recorder") for one Euro +shipping. So I could save some money for film;-)
I love this camera, although its big for a half frame. The weak point is the connection between the body parts. At my first one some wire broke and the camera, namely the drive got mad.
I like to play around with series, sequences and patterns with this camera. The feeling is more cinematographic than photographic.

BW%2B2009-281.06.jpg

Birke%2B2.jpg

As you can see in the upper left corner, be careful with your fingers!

btgc, Thanks for the info. If I find one at a reasonable price I'll consider trying it out. If I'm lucky maybe I'll get one at petronious's price!

petronious, Great shots taken with the Recorder! This inspires me to be more creative with my new half frame - a Fujica Drive. I just got back my first roll, but I didn't really explore taking multi-shots (except for a few). I see what you mean by "more cinematographic than photographic" and i really like it! I think the Fujica Drive is well suited for this because of it's motor drive. I'll be posting shots from the Fujica Drive soon.

-Dave

I had a Konica AA35 for a short while, about five years ago. Quite interesting, but I realized the half-frame thing just wasn't me. I was given a fairly-clean Olympus Pen EE a little under a year ago, and I use that from time to time. Interestignly, I find it more enjoyable to use than the AA35, Konicaphile that I am. ;)

- Barrett

petronius, I remember HF series on your site when I searched before purchasing mine. As usually, mind stands over gear.

Barrett, maybe horizontal frame weren't catching you enough? To shoot vertical half frame, I had to keep AA-35 vertically and release button weren't (and can't be by design!) as informative as I'd like. Though my biggest gripe were that I like vertical HF cameras more as natural vertical format.

I have kept mine in the car since about 1985 (actually two stolen in about 1990, so it's really the third) - dust, heat, totally battered, but wonderful for my ongoing project (life of a com. rep.) hundreds of rolls of film and it keeps going (after being epoxied in open position when on-off went switch intermittent).

Given film size - excellent results.

Instant response of AF.

Min shutter of 1/60 means v little blur in shaky conditions (but risk of underexposure in poor light).

Not that small but its flat aspect means v easy to point in the right direction and frame well at speed even without using vf .

naff colours (red, gold or black check) but hey-ho.

Despite owning a raft of desirable cameras, I use this more than the rest put together.

AA35 = Recorder also version 2 with databack and DX

Danny

and although the wind-on is quite noisy, you can be quite discreet, because it doesn't wind on until you lift your finger from the release.

This works like the Canon MC (full-frame) of similar vintage - another of my favourite small cameras, with great 35f2.8 lens BUT of 4 examples I now have (not more than $10 each) every one has same fault - winds on to about exposure 15 (+/-5exp) then won't wind any further - how can this same fault develop in all these???

Today this one sold on ebay for incredible 140 pounds (160391179884), what I have missed - Lomography.com started to push them?

That was mine. I was as surprised as anyone. I bought it in a job lot of about a dozen cameras from Germany for £16 including postage. There are still bargains out there.

I've got one and had it for years, my last 1/2 frame camera. It really was a nice little shooter and b/c of the design, can be carried in a shirt pocket. I lost track of it due to several moves and only found it a month ago. Maybe time to get it out and use it again. As for the price the guy paid, all I can say is wow! There must have been a reason for it, not sure if rare or not but I've only seen 2 others in addition to mine in years so maybe so or he is trying to complete a 1/2 collection and cost is less of a consideration. Anyone want mine for that price :)?

Just for the heck of it I thought I would update this thread...

A "New Old Stock" Konica AA-35 just sold for $220.49 + $11.00 shipping on the big auction site. I might have bought it... if the seller knocked $200 off the price :D.

I've been looking hard for one of these but not for $200—even NOS. If someone here has one to sell though, please hit me up. Not looking for a bargain just a fair price for a working user.

I've pulled mine out and now remember how much I liked it and why I kept it when I sold off my 1/2 frame collection. A great pocket camera and it takes very good photos; exposures were almost always within acceptable limits even with difficult lighting conditions. The autofocus is fast. Yes it has limitations but, for just taking snaps and having a camera in my pocket 24/7, it can't be beat. Mine has the weakness of these the broken battery door. I just hold it on with tape.

Back