New film from Kodak!

so - does this (Ektar 100 in sheets) means that there will be no Ektar 400?

I would love to have a decent ISO 400 film in 4x5 (Fuji 400X would be my choice) ...

so - does this (Ektar 100 in sheets) means that there will be no Ektar 400?

I would love to have a decent ISO 400 film in 4x5 (Fuji 400X would be my choice) ...

I think the Ektar 400 was just a guess of people.

Do you not like Portra 400NC in 4x5?

I think the Ektar 400 was just a guess of people.

Do you not like Portra 400NC in 4x5?

Frankly - have never tried the Portra 400NC - probably will once I will finis the box of Pro160S. I tend to prefer slide film jsut for the ease of viewing and color corrections after scan (with slides you know what kind of color you started with) and, as I mentioned above, would love to see the Provia 400X in 4x5.

My lack of experience with negative films (in whatever format) leaves me unsure about the ISO - many users claim that the "true" speed is 1/3 - 2/3 less with negative films.

I will probably take a deep breath and give more try to ISO400 films speed and see how they scan, as grain in color film does not look good to me. I am usually getting 2000 spi scans (Imacon X5) or 2400 spi (Microtek F1 - I got recently) and got the feeling that the Pro160S is just on the edge of showing grain at 2000 spi - so it makes me a bit worried that ISO 400 film will give too much grain. That is where a low grain ISO 400 negative film would be interesting ...

Try a couple sheets, you might like it. I've only shot it in 35mm, but I find the grain pretty inoffensive. But, I'm guessing my acceptance of grain might be a bit different than yours.

I find the Portra 400NC films to be incredibly flexible. They just reformulated it again in the last year or so (400NC-3) for even finer grain. I have no problems shooting it at 400. YMMV I don't trust when others say to downrate a given (or all) film(s), since I don't know what their metering techniques is. Or development techniques for that matter.

Back