New forum for Leica M8 / Digital M

Jorge
This new forum is a real milestone for the RF forum . Finally more than ONE digital rangefinder to lust after.

Rex

And we can be treated to four months of detailed discussions about a camera that nobody will have seen or used!

jlw said:
And we can be treated to four months of detailed discussions about a camera that nobody will have seen or used!

Hopefully a LHSA member who attends their next meeting/workshop in Solms will spill the beans before then. :D It's reported using an M8 is on the agenda.

Bob.

Just curious - does this overwhelming hunger for the digital Leica rangefinder mean that film IS finally dead ? ( ;) )

no. I plan on shooting both film and digital. one with mp one with m8. I will take both with me whenever i head into the woods. perfect backup and sometimes digital isnt always the best option.

akptc said:
Just curious - does this overwhelming hunger for the digital Leica rangefinder mean that film IS finally dead ? ( ;) )

YES!

Please send all your film Leica M's to me and I'll dispose of them with no charge!

PM or e-mail me and I'll tell you my address ;)

M8 vs R-D1

M8 vs R-D1

Would it be safe to assume that M8's design is expected to support capturing higher quality images than the R-D1?

akptc said:
Would it be safe to assume that M8's design is expected to support capturing higher quality images than the R-D1?

Previously-discussed specs indicate a 10-megapixel sensor vs. the R-D 1's 6-megapixel sensor. While higher pixel count does NOT necessarily equate to "higher quality" (contrary to all the marketing hype you read in the digicam world) it would mean the ability to make larger prints at the SAME level of quality.

Other than that, we basically don't know much of anything (yet) about the design of the M8's innards...

jlw said:
... Other than that, we basically don't know much of anything (yet) about the design of the M8's innards...
The reason I ask is I've been gearing up to get the R-D1 as a "for keeps" digital rangefinder but since the annoucement of the M8 I wonder if maybe I should wait a bit and see how they compare in handling and performance.

Well, given the fact that some major film makers are jacking up the prices of film, it has started to worry me, slightly. But I just placed an order for some 50 more rolls of Konica film, so I guess I will keep using film for quite some time as my fridge and freezer are well stocked now.

I think the market for digital RFs will get more interesting when/if a third maker enters it.

/Håkan

akptc said:

I think it's a given that Leica can only justify the M8 at the $5k price level if it produces - with Leica M glass - cutting edge image quality, not just resolution but colour depth, noise levels and so on. The R-D1 is a fine camera and has much Leica-ness about it, but I expect the Leica to go a stage beyond. The viewfinder of an M6, for example, is rather better than that of an R-D1.

Once the M8 is out at $5k, we'll look at the R-D1 at $2k and think that it can more than hold its own at the price level. I love mine, it's a keeper even though the M8 is the must-buy of the year for me.

????????

????????

AM I right about this: folks are actually preordering an item they have never seen, tested, or even read the complete specs for ( that is, who is making the internal hardware, etc.--Panasonic?). Wow--Bourdieu and Benjamin were right-- late capitalism and photography did rise together:} :p Don't get me wrong, I am going to buy an M8--I'm just going to wait until after you all send in complaints to Leica and they debug the first production. Or maybe I will wait until Pansonic makes the same camera for thousands less ( can you say DMC-LX1). To be honest though, I just bought my M7 and cannot afford to buy something my Panasonic LXI seems to be doing just fine.

With help from everyone, I hope to make this the number 1 resource for the M8. As soon as I have my M8 I will review it as well.

The digital Leica would be the only digital camera I would consider purchasing. . . .but only once they produce a full frame version because it would be tragic not to have reasonable use of all those lenses out there.

Back