New forum for Leica M8 / Digital M

The problem is entirey about not having "reasonable use" from what I understand. It would be easy for Leica simply to put a bigger CCD fullframe chip in the camera.

The problem is the outer edges of the images would be unusable, because of extreme vignetting, due to the oblique angle at which the ligth ray hit the CCD sensors.

I don't think it would be easy to use a full frame sensor for one second.

Aside from the fact that the sensor cost increases exponentially with size, there would be more data to process and store which would increase the memory and power requirements. This all adds to the size, cost and weight of the camera and people complaining it about the lack of FF would instead complain about the cost, if that isn't high enough already.

And that's before they try to address the image fall-off problems Paul refers to.

why can't leica just reinvent physics to build the perfect M8? What good are they for if they can't even do that?

shutterflower said:
The digital Leica would be the only digital camera I would consider purchasing. . . .but only once they produce a full frame version because it would be tragic not to have reasonable use of all those lenses out there.

I think that the Canon marketing department has gotten to you. :p They HAVE to produce a large format sensor as their extreme wideangles are not quite as good as the rest of their lens lineup. Leica will be introducing some new ultra-wides to go with the M8, and it will not prohibit one from using those great current lenses.

Does anyone know if we will have to convert our lenses in order to use them affectively? Will there be no frame lines at all with the M8 unless it's digital?

No you dont have to convert anything. The addition of dots to the mount is only to be able to use the extra features tha are available in the camera software. It will work fine without them, includung frameselection.

Back