New Hassleblad X1D System

+1. I'll also be looking for answers to the above questions.

Well, "A completely new family of dedicated autofocus lenses has been developed to support optical quality and portability, offering a wide range of shutter speeds and full flash synchronisation up to 1/2000th second." does mean that at least the native lenses are leaf shutter. It might still be dual shutter - but given the small size and low weight, I doubt it.

Just watching the livestream from Stockholm, the camera looks about the same size as the XP1, lenses are also small. The Q&A session also mentions the camera is produced and designed entirely by Hasselblad in Sweden (I would assume the components aren't though) so seems less likley Fuji will be rolling out a rebadged version in a few months for a couple of thousand less. Price is 7,900 Eur in Europe.

IMO, seriously impressive. I can't justify the price for me personally, but for anyone thinking about digital MF or up market FF DSLRs this would be pretty competitive so long as the performance is up to date. I hope this is the future for mirrorless.

As for the design, the front looks like a flattened 500c/m, which doesn't jive with the 4:3 sensor. It's not an "honest" design, just a lame version of retro.

Every 645 SLR I can think of has an outwardly square, cube-shaped mirror box. The square has more to do with the lens mount than the sensor aspect ratio, you can see in the images the lens mount fits tightly.

It references the 500 series with the metal accents but otherwise it's basically a small digital MF back with a grip attached. IMO it seems an excellent design.

50MP CMOS sensor
Weight: 725 gr.
Touchscreen with shortcuts
ISO up to 25,600
14 stops dynamic range
EVF
Dual SD card slots
Full HD at 25fps
New line of XCD lenses with manual and AF (built-in shutter)
30mm XCD lens will be announced at Photokina in September
All current H lenses will work with an adapter
Shipping will start at the end of August/early September
Comes with a Billingham bag
The X1D camera and lenses design and production was all done by Hasselblad - Fuji was NOT involved (the X1D is not a re-badged camera)
The new XCD lenses are as good as the H lenses

The Q&A session also mentions the camera is produced and designed entirely by Hasselblad in Sweden (I would assume the components aren't though)

The body is not that much more than a Imacon back with a grip and lens mount - so that would be within the scope Hasselblad can currently cover. But who is supposed to be making the lenses?

Seems like an impressive camera. Seeing that they went with leaf shutters, there is however a whole bunch of room for innovation regarding the flash system. I'm still waiting to see who has the guts to rethink this part of the package.

Edit. The comment above was perhaps misunderstood. My point was that this is not the system where we will see much flash innovation, as they went with off-the-shelf Nikon stuff.

Hey, the good stuff is expensive just like good photographers! A business needs to find those willing and have the ability to pay the price. But a person has gotta know his limits.

Has features I would use if still in business. Like the RAW file rather than DNG, wi-fi, dynamic range, and others.

However, I do like the web site, main page, lay out, menu, easy to manipulate and if I were still in business would consider something like this as pro. Works very well with my iPad.

Photography of folks is very competitive now.

Seems like an impressive camera. Seeing that they went with leaf shutters, there is however a whole bunch of room for innovation regarding the flash system. I'm still waiting to see who has the guts to rethink this part of the package.

It has Nikon TTL so no one will have to recreate an entirely new trigger system for Hasselblad.

Back