New Meyer Optik Biotar 58 f1.5 II lens

Has anybody had any experience with any of these lenses? How is the build quality, optical quality, haptics, etc?

I'm always interested to see new manual-focus lenses available in modern lens mounts.

What I want to see is a 28mm manual-focus, wide-angle prime, with a depth-of-field/DOF scale on the barrel, in Canon EF mount!

Wide-angle primes of this description in shorter focal lengths would also be appreciated.

I find manual-focus lenses with DOF scales especially useful for wide-angle applications because, for such focal lengths, I rarely focus on a specific subject, rather I focus on an area. Also, a manual focus lens can use a wider focusing arc, allowing for better spacing of the DOF scale markings.

- Murray

The revised lenses do seem interesting, notwithstanding the scandal of the 1st versions. I'd be tempted it they were coupled; it's not as if they're cheap items. I wonder what's the big deal making these lenses RF-coupled? Even PRC-based junksters seem able to do so without issue.

The revised lenses do seem interesting, notwithstanding the scandal of the 1st versions. I'd be tempted it they were coupled; it's not as if they're cheap items. I wonder what's the big deal making these lenses RF-coupled? Even PRC-based junksters seem able to do so without issue.

I totally agree - seems like a big miss not rangefinder coupling these. For an extra few hundred dollars, it would be worth it. I’m never going to shoot an uncoupled M Mount lens.

These also seem to be available in lots of other mounts--Canon, Nikon, Pentax (both K and M-42). I agree that non coupled f/1.5 lenses for a Leica RF film camera are a non-starter, but SLR users might find them useable, if they want that look from their lenses. I personally don't, and wouldn't pay anywhere near that price, but the company clearly thinks that some people will.

For an SLR I‘d just get a Helios for the fraction of the price of that Biotar. A coupled rf lens would be interesting though…

Whoa! An M42 version? Wonder if they have aperture pins. The 58mm only has a 0.75m min focus? That's kind of crazy. The Triopan II 35mm f/2.8 looks pretty interesting. Good, modern 35mm FL lenses in M42 are hard to come by - just the Zeiss ZS and the VC 40mm.

I like the M-42 option also. Tempting.

Darn- the one of most interest, Lydith 30mm f3.5 is not offered in M42. The Biotar 75mm f1.5 also sounds interesting. Not sure I would pay a grand for any triplet lens.

Darn- the one of most interest, Lydith 30mm f3.5 is not offered in M42. The Biotar 75mm f1.5 also sounds interesting. Not sure I would pay a grand for any triplet lens.

I mean, when you look at what people are paying for the OG 75mm Biotar, it is not so expensive. :).

I am a big fan of the Lydith 30mm f3.5 lens and would welcome a new version of that lens.

Back